Dynadot

Alter.com Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Deven Patel

Founder, Alter.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new premium domain marketplace we just launched called Alter. I would love to hear your thoughts! As the world’s largest community of domainers, your feedback would be invaluable.

Let me introduce myself. Although I’m new to NamePros, I’ve been around the block. I’ve been buying and selling domains for my own startup ideas for over 20 years. As a serial entrepreneur, I founded a number of startups across various industries like marketing, web hosting, social networking, blogging, and SaaS. This experience has helped me understand how indispensable a brand name is to a business.

Most new entrepreneurs don’t think twice about their company name. Our goal is to change that! A brand name literally has the power to make or break their business. This is more true today than ever before now that there are countless alternatives to every product or service imaginable. Sure, every business may have their own world-changing differentiator but from the outside they all look the same at which point the main differentiator ends up becoming their brand name. In a world full of distractions, we no longer have the attention span to thoroughly research what we buy so we rely on our emotions. This is why large businesses like Apple and Amazon spend billions on their “brand” alone because they understand that customer perception is everything.

Anyway, I noticed that most marketplaces that exist today are focused more on the seller rather than the buyer. Our goal is to reverse the equation and prioritize buyers because I think they are the key to success in any industry. The domain industry is no exception. Without buyers, there’s no money. This is why we’ve made it our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed!

And what’s with the 30-35% commission rate most of these marketplaces are charging? Unless they’re doing more work than a human broker, I don’t think anything over the industry average of 15-20% is warranted. We’re changing that. Alter has one of the lowest rates in the industry, an all-inclusive 10% commission fee when a name sells. There are no other fees or restrictions.

What do you think? Are we on the right track or barking up the wrong tree?

Deven
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the default broad match search is not good. Previously hand-vetted premium domains appear at a very low position for some keywords, even if the domain name actually contains the keyword.

So just search for a keyword using the default broad match option, then change the search settings from "broad" to "contains". For a lot of keywords you will see that domains which were manually approved as premium domains before only appear if you select the "contains" filter.

But if the domain name actually contains the search keyword, then I think even in case of the broad match search, you should prioritize those domains which contain the search keyword.

I think the search works better on BrandBucket. On BrandBucket the default option is the broad match, too. But BrandBucket will prioritize those domains which contain the search keyword.

I think if someone is searching for "golf", then first and foremost the searcher is interested in domains which actually contain the word "golf".

I know that the visitors can switch from broad to contains, but how many people will do that? I think the default broad match search function should display more relevant domains.

•••
Is this true? We have to keep the DNS pointing to Alter even after verifying our domains?
Yes, as far as I know it is true. Their check will detect if you move the DNS pointers.

•••
Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Wish I had known about that earlier! 😄

So where do you host your landing pages which is cheaper than paying the 10% success fee to Alter?

I did the math and I couldn't find a better option for domain name landing pages than Alter.

If you want to accept credit cards and PayPal, then that alone will cost you 3-5% processing fees or maybe even more. And don't forget chargeback handling and you are responsible for preventing credit card fraud, too.

And please also post a proper terms of service and privacy policy document, you will need it (GDPR, CCPA) if you want to accept payments. So either hire a lawyer or use a legal service (both will cost you money).

Last edited:
•••
I think the default broad match search is not good. Previously hand-vetted premium domains appear at a very low position for some keywords, even if the domain name actually contains the keyword.

So just search for a keyword using the default broad match option, then change the search settings from "broad" to "contains". For a lot of keywords you will see that domains which were manually approved as premium domains before only appear if you select the "contains" filter.

But if the domain name actually contains the search keyword, then I think even in case of the broad match search, you should prioritize those domains which contain the search keyword.

I think the search works better on BrandBucket. On BrandBucket the default option is the broad match, too. But BrandBucket will prioritize those domains which contain the search keyword.

I think if someone is searching for "golf", then first and foremost the searcher is interested in domains which actually contain the word "golf".

I know that the visitors can switch from broad to contains, but how many people will do that? I think the default broad match search function should display more relevant domains.

Their search is obviously broken. Using either contains or starts, ends with search term and nothing shows up on the first page. Not a single domain with the correct term.

•••
So where do you host your landing pages which is cheaper than paying the 10% success fee to Alter?
Isn't it 20% with Alter? But even if it is 10%, Dan is only 9% and Squadhelp is only 7.5% for standard names. So, both of those are cheaper than paying the success fee to Alter. Right, or no?

•••
Isn't it 20% with Alter? But even if it is 10%, Dan is only 9% and Squadhelp is only 7.5% for standard names. So, both of those are cheaper than paying the success fee to Alter. Right, or no?

This basic information is on the Alter website. Have you looked before you started using their services?

•••
This basic information is on the Alter website. Have you looked before you started using their services?
I was replying to Charybdis's comment. Did you look at his post before replying to mine?

•••
I was replying to Charybdis's comment. Did you look at his post before replying to mine?

I was replying to your comment "Isn't it 20% with Alter?"

•••
But even if it is 10%, Dan is only 9% and Squadhelp is only 7.5% for standard names. So, both of those are cheaper than paying the success fee to Alter. Right, or no?
It is 10%, so yes the ones you mention are marginally lower.

Keep in mind, though, that Alter promote your individual names - I have seen ads that included my names.

SquadHelp do that a lot for your premium listings (at about 30% com plus submission coin) but not for standard listings in your white label marketplace.

As far as I know, Dan do not do advertising on individual names beyond finding on their marketplace and a few featured sellers and names on that.

The style of listing is different as well. The basic logo if optimized may be an advantage at Alter. Although, I like the visual image at SH a lot, which is free as well. And at Dan you can upload a professional logo for names, as you can at Alter.

But the big thing is how many eyes find your domain names. White label at SH you are basically on your own getting people to your listings by direct type-in or though your promotion of your WL place.

At Dan, there are an increasing number of searchers, but it seems the majority still type in.

Alter also has a way to go getting people to view your names, but you can at least track how many are finding your name though the marketplace (I guess through Google Analytics could know that at Dan too).

Don't get me wrong, I like both SH WL (and use it for my Canadian related names) and Dan (lots of my domain names are listed there).

For me the few percent is not a deciding factor. But it is not a simple comparison between marketplaces, as each offer something different.

I am glad that we have Alter, Dan and SH WL (as well as other options). All 3 offer quality services at very reasonable commission, and are constantly innovating.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
It is 10%, so yes the ones you mention are marginally lower.

Keep in mind, though, that Alter promote your individual names - I have seen ads that included my names.

SquadHelp do that a lot for your premium listings (at about 30% com plus submission coin) but not for standard listings in your white label marketplace.

As far as I know, Dan do not do advertising on individual names beyond finding on their marketplace and a few featured sellers and names on that.

The style of listing is different as well. The basic logo if optimized may be an advantage at Alter. Although, I like the visual image at SH a lot, which is free as well.

But the big thing is how many eyes find your domain names. White label at SH you are basically on your own getting people to your listings by direct type-in or though your promotion of your WL place.

At Dan, there are an increasing number of searchers, but it seems the majority still type in.

Alter also has a way to go getting people to view your names, but you can at least track how many are finding your name though the marketplace (I guess through Google Analytics could know that at Dan too).

Don't get me wrong, I like both SH WL (and use it for my Canadian related names) and Dan (lots of my domain names are listed there).

For me the few percent is not a deciding factor. But it is not a simple comparison as each offer something different.

I am glad that we have Alter, Dan and SH WL (as well as other options). All 3 offer quality, services.

Bob
I was simply responding to Charybdis' question, which was "So where do you host your landing pages which is cheaper than paying the 10% success fee to Alter?" The answer to that question is Dan and Squadhelp.

I already added close to 400 names to Alter, but I didn't know that the DNS has to remain there. You might be right about the eyeballs, but I'm not ready yet to leave the DNS with Alter. Frankly it's a shame (in my opinion) that this DNS requirement is in place, since I'd love to give Alter a shot. Oh well.

•••
You're so harsh, @Dane. But why? Alter is great and they promote your domains way beyond the Alter website itself.

•••
You're so harsh, @Dane. But why? Alter is great and they promote your domains way beyond the Alter website itself.
Really? Harsh? I'm just being completely honest. I'm not familiar enough with Alter, so I'm not yet comfortable keeping the DNS with them. Isn't that fair? I don't have to keep the DNS with Dan. I don't have to keep the DNS with Afternic. I don't have to keep the DNS with Sedo. I don't have to keep the DNS with Squadhelp. Why should I have to keep the DNS with Alter? This isn't being harsh. This is being honest.

•••
•••
•••
One LAST question, then I'll leave you guys alone (I know when I'm not wanted 🙂)

Does Alter offer a white label marketplace?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••

Alter charges 10% and they promote your domain as well.
Dan: they charge 1-2% surcharge in case of credit card payment (I think maybe above 999 USD), but they offer 1% discount in case of bank transfer payment. And do they market your domain on various channels?

You should point your nameservers somewhere anyway.

Why not try Alter for 30 days and then you will see your stats about how much traffic did their marketplace drive to your listings, then you can compare them with other marketplaces.

•••
Why not try Alter for 30 days and then you will see your stats about how much traffic did their marketplace drive to your listings, then you can compare them with other marketplaces.
Yeah, maybe.

•••
@Deven Patel
Do you offer just escrow service or do you plan it?
For example, when I park my domains on Bodis and negotiate with my bidders directly - I need just escrow and nothing more.

Last edited:
•••
Are .io, .net, and .org domains given the same visibility as .com domains? Because when I visit Alter's dashboard I usually only see .com domains.

Our smart search algorithm uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback. Everything from the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, and more is used to determine its rank. This means high quality names continue to thrive while giving new listings an equal opportunity (just like SEO).

As @Bob Hawkes pointed out, the discrepancies you see are likely due to the fact that (1) .coms account for a large portion of our current inventory and (2) buyers naturally prefer .coms over other extensions.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I realise that it's extra work to implement. You have to track domain renewal dates for special TLDs, which can sometimes occur rather quickly after a sale or LtO has taken place. You also have to know the estimated renewal prices (at the current registrar, and/or the registrar where your escrow account is). I guess you'll need some input from the domain owner as well, who is not always well informed about all these renewal prices.

Something for your TOS. If an LtO buyer (or Alter the company) renews an expensive (tier) ngTLD domain, and after a few months the buyer decides to terminate the LtO construction, will the buyer get a refund? I guess no, but it has to be clear for all parties involved.

In some cases high renewal amounts can be involved. One domain that I now refer to Alter is a .shop domain with a yearly renewal fee of USD 1,092, and this is at one of the lowest-cost registrars in town. Other registrars may charge even more for this. It's an exception in my portfolio, though.

Brainstorming. If the renewal date is soon in sight, you may disable LtO as an option.

Will all domains purchased via LtO go to the Alter Escrow account? When it's a transfer, this then already includes a 1Y renewal. Not with a push.

One final note. These matters are also relevant for domains that are purchased without LtO. The normal BIN sales. There may be high costs associated with a transfer for either buyer or Alter.

Good luck implementing this beast :xf.smile:

Thanks for the very well-thought-out feedback! Much appreciated. Exactly, every scenario is different which is why we generally deal with it on a case-by-case basis. In a case where an expensive renewal is quickly approaching, we would inform the buyer right away so they can move forward accordingly.

If I have a name sold for $36K over 3 years via installments, the 12K received in the third year is going to have less value than $12K today.

As you may know, the domain industry is very supply heavy meaning it’s super hard to find buyers (i.e. there are over 13M domains listed for sale yet only about 1-2% of them sell on average annually). Like it or not, the fact of the matter is the industry needs more buyers than sellers so I personally would make it as easy as possible for buyers to purchase domains. Making the math unnecessarily complicated seems like a turn off. If you're worried about losing a few dollars due to inflation, just price the name a bit higher. Problem solved. :)

I like to monitor and analyze my traffic as well as for a few very special domains I want to have my custom email and possibly something on subdomains/subfolders as an extra promotion material while having the main page forwarding to the marketplace. Giving up my nameservers means giving up on all that.

I guess I'm a bit confused. How would you monitor the traffic if the domain forwards to Alter anyway? Note that we do offer analytics inside our dashboard and you can set up Google Analytics for your portfolio as well.

Regarding custom emails/subdomains for promotional material, that's very interesting. I would love to learn more about this and whether you've had any notable success using these approaches.

This could be solved by automated checking whether the main page forwards to Alter or not, as long as it does, I believe the result should make no difference for Alter...

Things always appear to be easy on the outside. Using nameservers allows us to do more than just forward the domains (e.g. provision SSL certificates properly, verify domain ownership with our partners using TXT records, etc). Unless there's a major advantage to using a different approach, we'd rather not invest additional time and money into it when that money can be used for other high priority items like marketing instead.

As I can see, the make offer domains are not being syndicated. Adding some other exceptions to that needs to be considered, for example Dan does not transact non-transferable domains registered with Sav, so should a sale of such domain happen on Dan, everyone involved – buyer, seller, Alter and Dan – would be nothing but troubled.

I agree but considering that so far the partners have only contributed to <5% of our sales and their policies are always changing, it probably doesn't make sense to implement any more features for those exceptions. We can always deal with the issue manually when needed during a sale.

I don't see any reasons: why marketplace can't be highly configurable...
So you can opt-in/out: what you want for your needs/vision and based on your experience.

It is just MUSTHAVE requirements to be competitive.
We (domainers) don't ask anything special.

when we are told that something is being worked on, or being considered, or is being "sent to the team," it almost always means we won't see any changes for months or years... or ever.

I don't see any reason why sellers can't just pay 50% commission to a marketplace and be happy about it. ;)

But seriously, if we were swimming in money we could do everything everyone wanted and more but at 10% that's simply not feasible. So instead, we prioritize based on seller demand (no point in developing something that 1% of sellers want for instance) and more importantly our overall goal (more sales). Our biggest differentiator against the competition is marketing, to give your domains a higher probability of a sale. The nice-to-have features aren't that important if they don't result in a sale at the end of the day.

We’re not like other marketplaces. We actually market your domains and bring in more buyers for an industry low 10% commission compared to 11-30% elsewhere. We market your domains via PPC, SEO, social, retargeting, etc (here are some examples of ads we're running and the types of keywords we rank for on Google). And our landing pages use logos which are proven to improve STR too (no other non-brandable marketplace offers this).

Regarding why our landers use descriptions/keywords/categories, it's for both on-site and off-site SEO. So for example, when a buyer searches for something like moon business names in Google, Alter shows up in the #1 spot among 147,000,000 results. Then when the buyer clicks on that result and lands on our website, our on-site ranking takes over. We've built our own internal search engine for business names. Just like Google, our search algorithm uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback. So that when a buyer searches for a keyword like health on Alter, we show them all the potential names that they can use in that industry and not just the ones that contain the search keyword (e.g. Nursor, Feetz, CareDish, Curemont, etc).

Based on all of your past posts, it seems like you guys don't value or even believe in the most important benefit we offer (marketing) so why use Alter at all? There are already other marketplaces that offer everything you want including Efty where you don't even have to pay a commission.

Wire payments are only over $5K? Is that right? (if so, why??)

Sedo/DAN send even $xx IBAN wires using Commerzbank or AMRO...

Wires were only allowed for amounts larger than $5k because our bank charges us a $45 processing fee and since our 10% commission is all-inclusive, we couldn't afford to spend more than 1% on cashout fees.

That said, we did consider your feedback and have added an ACH transfer option which can be used for US based bank accounts for any amount (international sellers can set up a virtual account at Wise to use this option). Additionally, we've removed the $5k wire limit so you can use wires for any amount you like. However, a processing fee of $45 will be applied to wires below $5k.

Regarding IBAN, it's my understanding that Sedo/Dan are based in Europe so it's much easier for them use it. We're based in the US which doesn't support IBAN out-of-the-box. We'll explore this more in the future if there's a lot of seller demand. In the meantime, the existing options we offer should be more than adequate. :)

(enormous amount of times favorited in a short period)

I can only see the amount in the Dashboard, not whether they are humans or bots.

You are able to view more in my account. The abnormal amount of Favorites was e.g. on October 16, and October 18, 2021.

I also had an abnormal amount of favourites on October 16th.

All my favorites comes in a day, it then takes a month to get another set of favorites. This has been my dashboard pattern.

Thanks again guys for helping us troubleshoot this. Although we can't be absolutely sure these do seem like bots based on the amount and frequency of favorites on those random days. Normally we can filter out bots by using cookies, JavaScript, looking at HTTP headers, etc. But in this case all of those things match what you would normally see with a human visitor which makes it difficult to tackle. However, we did add an additional check in our code that should help (i.e. checking for mouse movement before registering the favorite). The good thing is these bots affect all names equally so they shouldn't impact your ability to use our "top favorited names" metric to determine which names are hot or not. :)

Deven is really different. If I had to name 1 marketplace representative on NamePros who silently just executes many suggestions, it would be him. At the other marketplaces, you often don't hear anything anymore, and that is indeed frustrating. I often have these frustrations elsewhere myself, and I recognize the feeling.

Thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated.

We do the best we can to provide value where possible but like with most things in life, everything has a cost (physical/mental/financial). Some founders are willing to pay a higher price to succeed than others based on the level of risk they can tolerate. It's no different than how different sellers take varying amounts of risk when investing in domains without knowing if those names will actually sell.

I haven't been doing this for as long as they have but I can totally understand why other marketplaces are often silent when I put myself in their shoes. Contrary to other industries, domain marketplaces have one major disadvantage. In order to grow their inventories, they have to deal with a variety of conflicting seller opinions that ultimately reduce the efficiency of the marketplace. It's a double-edged sword.

He can always answer individually and in time, it is not necessary to wait and then post replies to all in A4 format...

Please note that NamePros isn't our official support channel. For quicker responses, you can always reach out to support at anytime.

Dns records instead of NS, bulk check
Min offer at 100
API

Noted. Thanks for the suggestions! Also, bulk check is already available. :)

Does Alter offer a White Label Marketplace like they do on Squadhelp?

Not at this time because our core focus is to increase STR and from our experience white label solutions don't help with that.

will Alter offer cryptocurrency as a means of payment/cashout anytime soon?

Thanks for the suggestion! We're looking into it.

Do Alter still require to remove our names from Sedo / Dan if listed with Alter?

No, you can list your names wherever else you like for whatever price you want. However, if we are already syndicating your domains to our partners then we ask that you do not list them there yourself in order to protect our relationships with those companies because duplicate listings take a lot of manual effort to sort out. Note that you can disable syndication from your Alter account if you want to manage your domains with our partners directly yourself.

Thanks, mate. Can you list all your domains on Alter now or only brandables?
Do you also have to verify ownership with nameservers or is it simple like Dan?

You can list any name you like. At this time we require all domains to be forwarded to our landing pages using our nameservers. This is because we spend a lot of money marketing your domains through PPC, SEO, social, retargeting, and much more. It wouldn't make sense for another marketplace to get the sale if one of our buyers ends up typing it into their browser and purchasing it elsewhere especially at 10% commission.

Note that among all the industry leaders, Alter offers the lowest commission. 10% with Alter vs 11-30% elsewhere. Also, you can continue to use the other marketplaces while using Alter. That way you pay the lowest commission for buyers that come in through your landers while taking advantage of our marketing at the same time. :)

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Much appreciated. That is kind of the point, to show the best possible names to buyers when they're searching. Our search algorithm considers a number of factors but manually curated names from the past don't receive any special boosts.

For example, here are the two sets of results you mentioned for the keyword "golf":
Which results feel better from the buyer's perspective? I would personally pick broad match because as a buyer looking to name a golfing company, I would want to see high quality names like "Teedax" and "Topped". Also, quality names with the keyword "golf" are always displayed at the top like "Golfverse" for example. And as you can see in the contains match, the rest of the words that contain "golf" aren't that great quality wise.

The same thing happens on BB though all their names are curated so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. Again, quality names that contain the search word will always be shown at the top even for broad match (see broad match for tech and fox for example). But of course the algorithm isn't 100% perfect so some random names may be missed which is why we tweak it when necessary. :)

Their search is obviously broken. Using either contains or starts, ends with search term and nothing shows up on the first page. Not a single domain with the correct term.

Not sure I understand. Can you please elaborate?

Really? Harsh? I'm just being completely honest. I'm not familiar enough with Alter, so I'm not yet comfortable keeping the DNS with them. Isn't that fair? I don't have to keep the DNS with Dan. I don't have to keep the DNS with Afternic. I don't have to keep the DNS with Sedo. I don't have to keep the DNS with Squadhelp. Why should I have to keep the DNS with Alter? This isn't being harsh. This is being honest.

No disrespect but your posts do sound a bit aggressive. I understand you may not agree with the way different companies do business but just like you everyone is simply trying to find the best way to succeed. If every company did the same exact thing then honestly there would be no point in competing at all. It would just lead to a race to the bottom which doesn't benefit anyone.

As I mentioned above, at this time we require all domains to be forwarded to our landing pages using our nameservers. This is because we spend a lot of money marketing your domains through PPC, SEO, social, retargeting, and much more. It wouldn't make sense for another marketplace to get the sale if one of our buyers ends up typing it into their browser and purchasing it elsewhere especially at 10% commission.

Note that among all the industry leaders, Alter offers the lowest commission. 10% with Alter vs 11-30% elsewhere. Plus those 30% marketplaces actually require you to use their landers AND prevent you for listing your names anywhere else. Go figure! With us, you can continue to use the other marketplaces while using Alter. That way you pay the lowest commission for buyers that come in through your landers while taking advantage of our marketing at the same time. :)

Do you offer just escrow service or do you plan it?
For example, when I park my domains on Bodis and negotiate with my bidders directly - I need just escrow and nothing more.

We don't offer that at the moment because we wanted to keep things super simple. And since there are other companies that already offer it, it felt redundant. That said, if there's enough demand, we'll certainly look into it.

First sale on Alter and I'm grateful for the 10% commission, which is 1/3 the rate of Alter's competitors.

BB/SH: 30% commission under $5k

To put this in perspective, compare an average $2,500 sale over 100 sales on Alter vs. competitors:

BB/SH: 100 sales @ $2,500. You pay $75,000 in commission

Over 100 sales @ $2,500, you pocket an additional $50,000 by listing at Alter vs. the leading brandable marketplaces.

Alter doesn't yet have the traffic or sales levels as the leading marketplaces, true, but it has been growing fast.

The low commission from this first Alter sale makes me reconsider whether the BB/SH premium is worthwhile.

Wow, I appreciate the candid feedback. Thanks!

To compensate for their 3x commission, do BB & SH deliver at least 30% more sales?

Exactly, that's what it all boils down to. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the past it's impossible to run a simple A/B test between marketplaces due to the varying benefits every company offers.

Also, I think every marketplace is trying their best to produce sales, from brandable marketplaces that actually do marketing to regular marketplaces that simply rely on type-in traffic. On the brandable side, I understand why they charge 30% commission. Customer acquisition cost (CAC) is generally very expensive when it comes to marketing (e.g. it can easily cost $1k+ to acquire a single customer through just ads alone).

Normally, I would recommend using the shotgun approach where you list your names at as many places as possible to target all available buyers. Some marketplaces may get you more sales than others but being on all of them gives you the best chance of success. However, this is only possible to do with regular marketplaces, not with brandable marketplaces since they require exclusivity.

So I think the decision regarding which marketplace to use for brandables requires a slightly different thought process. I'm sure sellers probably have their own ideas here. But if it were me personally, I would list the popular/high quality names on Alter and shotgun everywhere because those typically don't need as much marketing (i.e. the chances of the popular names selling through type-in/direct traffic are much higher so there's no point in paying 3X commission for them). And list the cheaper/lower quality names on brandable marketplaces that charge 30-35% commission as they probably need much more marketing power (i.e. hand regs/names with <$100 reseller value where paying higher commission still provides enough ROI). Problem solved. :)

•••
I have an idea for the search bar, so I think it would be better to reveal the "Search Filters" popup window by default on desktop. Now the user has to click on the filter button to open the "Search Filters" popup window. It is better for usability to reduce the number of clicks required to perform an important task.

So you could take the content of the "Search Filters" popup window and place it under the search bar, and make it visible by default, and remove the filter button, because the advanced search options would be visible at all times. And that would mean that you would eliminate the popup window, too.

So then if the user wants to filter the results, then the user can do it right away, without clicking on the filter button. That would improve the usability because it would eliminate an unnecessary click on the filter button. And there is enough space under the search bar for the advanced options on desktop.

But on mobile keep the filter button, because there is not enough space on mobile to display all the advanced search options.

But on desktop there is enough space to get rid of the popup window and to reveal the search filters by default.

Last edited:
•••
So is it so hard quest in the USA to open one more bank account in London, for example???

•••
Regarding escrow...
There are only 2 popular and not complicated options: Sedo External Transfer (3% or min. $60), DAN Lead import (5%).
So not so many competitors as you think.

•••
Some suggestions:

• A few weeks ago when I started listing on Alter, the names with "new extensions" would retain the letter case exactly as you typed them. Since then, Alter started to force lowercase on the extension which makes them look worse, because in most cases for such names the extension is a meaningful part of the name (eg. Laboratory.Equipment not Laboratory.equipment). Please undo that change and allow capitalising first letters of the extension, its unfair that new extension domain listings are being "punished" like that.
  • Search results are packed with names where their presence is justified by a "keyword" entered by the seller. For example, if I search "finance" on Alter, only few names on the first page have "fin" in them, and many names are completely random. The name with a full "finance" which is the exact match comes first and that is correct, but after that I believe the names which have a part of the search query (such as "fin" for "finance", "robo" for "robot", "meta" for "metaverse" etc.) should be given priority over names which are "finance" only because their seller put "finance" keyword in the listing.
  • After a name is sold, its not unusual the nameservers will not be changed for weeks and months by its new owner. What happens on Alter is you just land on the main page if you visit such name. It would be much better if Alter instead was showing a page with names similar to the one visited, because it could help to convert the visitor into a buyer.

•••
Back