Dynadot

Alter.com Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Deven Patel

Founder, Alter.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new premium domain marketplace we just launched called Alter. I would love to hear your thoughts! As the world’s largest community of domainers, your feedback would be invaluable.

Let me introduce myself. Although I’m new to NamePros, I’ve been around the block. I’ve been buying and selling domains for my own startup ideas for over 20 years. As a serial entrepreneur, I founded a number of startups across various industries like marketing, web hosting, social networking, blogging, and SaaS. This experience has helped me understand how indispensable a brand name is to a business.

Most new entrepreneurs don’t think twice about their company name. Our goal is to change that! A brand name literally has the power to make or break their business. This is more true today than ever before now that there are countless alternatives to every product or service imaginable. Sure, every business may have their own world-changing differentiator but from the outside they all look the same at which point the main differentiator ends up becoming their brand name. In a world full of distractions, we no longer have the attention span to thoroughly research what we buy so we rely on our emotions. This is why large businesses like Apple and Amazon spend billions on their “brand” alone because they understand that customer perception is everything.

Anyway, I noticed that most marketplaces that exist today are focused more on the seller rather than the buyer. Our goal is to reverse the equation and prioritize buyers because I think they are the key to success in any industry. The domain industry is no exception. Without buyers, there’s no money. This is why we’ve made it our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed!

And what’s with the 30-35% commission rate most of these marketplaces are charging? Unless they’re doing more work than a human broker, I don’t think anything over the industry average of 15-20% is warranted. We’re changing that. Alter has one of the lowest rates in the industry, an all-inclusive 10% commission fee when a name sells. There are no other fees or restrictions.

What do you think? Are we on the right track or barking up the wrong tree?

Deven
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One more transaction successfully completed here. Thanks @Alter.com

Verified.xyz sold for 14888 usd.

•••
It would be nice if landing pages included all lowercase/all uppercase somewhere to increase confidence of the visitors.

•••
I have a quick question for Alter, when I include the "both" option for pricing, and I add a "Minimum Offer" price, is this automatic? Meaning if someone does submit the offer price, do they get the domain at that price, or do I still get to negotiate?

•••
I have a quick question for Alter, when I include the "both" option for pricing, and I add a "Minimum Offer" price, is this automatic? Meaning if someone does submit the offer price, do they get the domain at that price, or do I still get to negotiate?
They don't.
Just negotiations start at this level...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sorry to be negative, but I am finding trying to create copy for my domains extremely frustrating.

Right now, it seems all of the "Descriptions, Keywords and Ideas" are very random, which is fine. I would like to add my own information.

The problem is, I usually can't. (I actually took images to show clearly, but can't upload here apparently)

You have restricted what we can write far too much.

Descriptions: Why must the word "name" be included? And why are we reduced to 100 words? It would be nice if we could give the potential buyer a "sense" of what our domain can become through copy writing. Instead we have one sentence. Is this necessary? Also, you can't use anything but periods or commas. No numbers, quotes, etc... Again, very limiting.

Keywords: I understand why there is a limit of 6, that is fine. But again, certain words or numbers aren't allowed. Since we are already limited to 6, why can't we use whatever words or phrases that we believe the client would type in to find the domain? They are always the same, which means as soon as you get enough domains, the keyword search function will be pretty useless to the client when they are searching. Which also means they'll get bored or frustrated and leave.

Ideas: This is the most limiting. Why can we only use short words. And half the time it doesn't accept my words even though they are legitimate business ideas. This should be somewhere where we are free to give the potential client an idea of what they can use the domain for. But it's very difficult with the way you have this limited.

I want to create enough copy to help convert the client. The descriptions and ideas shouldn't have a word limit at all, or at least 500 words minimum. You would think you'd want the domain owners to write copy in order to convert sales as it's better for you and us. But I find this all too restrictive to properly do anything.

I think on the client side when they see the same basic sentences on every single domain again and again, it is no longer a place to look for legit business names, rather it's just a list that is poorly curated.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, I think your platform is very easy to use in other aspects and am happy with everything else, other than this. So I won't move my names off, I just wish I had far more control over the "selling" aspect of the business as these are my domains.

Thanks for your time on reading this. @Alter.com

•••
Hi @Deven Patel

When a domain is leased, I assume Alter takes care of the renewals during the lease term. Have you already dealt with renewals of premium (ngtld) domains, that can be very expensive?

•••
Does Alter share buyer and seller info like Dan or keep it confidential?

•••
Ideas and feedback:

- 'Add to Shortlist' button might be more intuitive than a heart. Some might think it's only decoration.
- Quick access to most recently shortlisted names.
- Keep shortlists permanently so they don't roll off. This is valuable data for what names are resonating most with visitors over long-term.
- Highlight the speaker icon with 'Hear This Name' text, otherwise just decoration to some.
- Automate possible uses based on newly assigned categories. Hundreds of names, too much to edit manually.
- Custom edit pronunciation, sometimes it's off.
- Optimized cross-promoted domains based on Suffix/Prefix/Category i.e Row 1 'Other names based on [suffix']... row 2 'Other names based on [Prefix], row 3 'Other names based on [same category names]'
- Logos on main page are kinda huge compared to other markets. Might look better scaled down a bit? :)

Best

Last edited:
•••
First of all, welcome to NamePros Bill Allen and thank you for expressing your opinions clearly on this topic. The restriction about posting screen captures will go away after you have been on NamePros a bit longer.

I am sure that @Deven Patel will respond to your feedback - he does an amazing job considering and responding to all suggestions - but I thought I would provide my thoughts, as an Alter user, on the points your raise.
why are we reduced to 100 words? It would be nice if we could give the potential buyer a "sense" of what our domain can become through copy writing. Instead we have one sentence. Is this necessary? Also, you can't use anything but periods or commas. No numbers, quotes, etc.
I suspect that most businesses browsing brandable marketplaces like Alter have a clear idea of what their business is or could become, and are not looking for that level of description of possible uses. There may well be a place for an additional player in the 'business ideas + domain name" market, in fact I held a name I planned to use for one of those for a couple of years, but I don't think that is the primary current purpose of Alter.

I think Mark Twain once said something about anyone could write something long, but it takes a true writer to write something short. I think the 100 word limit is about right - allows you to say something, with an enforced structure, and keeps things tightly focussed and consistent across listings. Market that allow longer descriptions, like Dan, very few use it, and in fact most write no description at all. Some of the other brandable places don't allow any descriptions at all.

I say this as someone who personally likes to write, and read, long descriptions (see my posts at NamePros :xf.grin:), but I think overall the 100 limit is about right.

I totally agree with you re too restrictive re including things like numbers, quotation marks (you are allowed single ones ' ) and especially I would like to use exclamation marks!

Ideas: This is the most limiting. Why can we only use short words. And half the time it doesn't accept my words even though they are legitimate business ideas.
We are not only allowed short words. You can include multi-word ideas like marketing agency and training center. But I do agree the allowed algorithm or list needs some adjustment, as things that are indeed services, are not allowed sometimes. Alternatively, perhaps provide sellers with a long list to get a better idea of the sort of things accepted. I know in early placing domains on the site this was the biggest frustration, particularly where the system does not tell you which idea is not acceptable from your list.

I want to create enough copy to help convert the client. The descriptions and ideas shouldn't have a word limit at all, or at least 500 words minimum. You would think you'd want the domain owners to write copy in order to convert sales as it's better for you and us. But I find this all too restrictive to properly do anything.
See comment above re it is my opinion that the vast majority of potential buyers are looking for a name to suit a plan, rather than looking blankly for a business idea and name. I would also respond that I think most sellers would not write 500 words, and it looks unprofessional to have a mix of descriptions of widely different length on Alter.

when they see the same basic sentences on every single domain again and again, it is no longer a place to look for legit business names,
I agree entirely that sellers most of the time should not leave the AI generated script, as it does rapidly become repetitive. Same regarding the automatically generated use choices. I know those with thousands of listings may need to depend on these, but hopefully most users will craft their own. I think it is worth the effort.

Just my personal thoughts.

Bob

I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” – Mark Twain

Last edited:
•••
alter supports ppc landing pages just like dan integrates bodis?

Not at this time. Right now our focus is on improving STR through supercharged landers. :)

It would be nice if landing pages included all lowercase/all uppercase somewhere to increase confidence of the visitors.

We had considered that but couldn't find a place to show all uppercase/lowercase versions of the name without affecting the aesthetics. Also, because we handle all transactions manually we can ensure that buyers don't get duped (i.e. we can easily process a refund in that case).

As @Jurgen Wolf pointed out, the minimum offer value is simply the starting point for negotiations. If a buyer submits an offer that matches your minimum, you will have the opportunity to accept/counter/decline/cancel/ignore it.

Sorry to be negative, but I am finding trying to create copy for my domains extremely frustrating.

Right now, it seems all of the "Descriptions, Keywords and Ideas" are very random, which is fine. I would like to add my own information.

The problem is, I usually can't. (I actually took images to show clearly, but can't upload here apparently)

Descriptions: Why must the word "name" be included? And why are we reduced to 100 words? It would be nice if we could give the potential buyer a "sense" of what our domain can become through copy writing. Instead we have one sentence. Is this necessary? Also, you can't use anything but periods or commas. No numbers, quotes, etc... Again, very limiting.

Keywords: I understand why there is a limit of 6, that is fine. But again, certain words or numbers aren't allowed. Since we are already limited to 6, why can't we use whatever words or phrases that we believe the client would type in to find the domain? They are always the same, which means as soon as you get enough domains, the keyword search function will be pretty useless to the client when they are searching. Which also means they'll get bored or frustrated and leave.

Ideas: This is the most limiting. Why can we only use short words. And half the time it doesn't accept my words even though they are legitimate business ideas. This should be somewhere where we are free to give the potential client an idea of what they can use the domain for. But it's very difficult with the way you have this limited.

I think on the client side when they see the same basic sentences on every single domain again and again, it is no longer a place to look for legit business names, rather it's just a list that is poorly curated.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, I think your platform is very easy to use in other aspects and am happy with everything else, other than this. So I won't move my names off, I just wish I had far more control over the "selling" aspect of the business as these are my domains.

Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated. :)

The reason we restricted a lot of this is to ensure consistency and a high quality experience for buyers. I don't know if you remember the MySpace days but if you do then think of this as MySpace vs Facebook (i.e. MySpace allowed anyone to add anything which created a ton of spam/disorganization and they ultimately paid the price of losing their users to Facebook which was very well organized because of the restrictions).

Effective marketing is all about the right balance of art and science. @Bob Hawkes does a fantastic job explaining the pros and cons of shorter descriptions above so I don't want to repeat that. But it's always better to keep things short and simple especially in a day and age when visitor attention spans have drastically dropped (the average visitor attention span today is less than 7 seconds which means if we don't grab their attention within that time frame then they'll bounce). The shorter description will force you to think harder and in effect help you write something that will get the job done quicker/more effectively (i.e. the buyer will benefit much more from a 100 character description). Twitter was actually founded on this very logic even when Facebook already offered the ability to post much longer content (i.e. the only reason Twitter succeeded initially was because of their 140 character limit).

Regarding ideas, they don't need to be short, they just have to have a common suffix like "store", "shop", "service", etc. The reason being the landing page automatically creates a sentence based on those ideas so it helps ensure that the sentence is well-formed (i.e. "Perfect for business ideas like a xxxxx agency, a xxxxx company, a xxxxx brand, a xxxxx service, and more."). Right now our system checks your input against around 300 suffixes which should cover 99% of cases (e.g. store, shop, service, cafe, broker, class, service, activity, bank, brand, company, etc). Again, these are suffixes (general categories) so you can prepend virtually anything you like in the front (e.g. yoga service, consulting service, health service, gaming service, virtual reality planting service, yearbook decoration service, etc).

Regarding repetitive automated descriptions, a lot of it has to do with names being made-up and of course there are algorithmic limitations when you're dealing with such a small amount of data. At the end of the day, automation can only take you so far especially when you're dealing with creative tasks. This is why everything that's currently automated can still be updated by you manually if you like.

I agree it can be a bit of work for large portfolios but just like with anything else in life, the more work you put into something, the better the outcome with be. It's no different than the amount of work you put into finding the right names to invest in. Those that invest more effort into it generally end up coming out ahead. Our goal is to make that process as easy as possible for you without charging you an arm and a leg.

That said, please note that the default information generated should be very broad so it won't impact your listings in any negative way. Any additional effort you invest into improving it will simply boost the probability of a sale but doing nothing won't hurt it. Think of that information is being no different than any other content on the rest of the landing pages. It's there to help that small number of buyers who need convincing but it won't hurt your chances with the majority of buyers who already have their hearts set on the name.

Ultimately, the whole idea is to do everything possible to increase your STR compared to on other marketplaces. Since we already charge the lowest commission among all industry leaders (10% vs 11-20% elsewhere), even if all these innovative features only resulted in a small lift in STR, I think it's well worth it. Especially since it requires no additional effort on your part (though as I mentioned above, you still have the option to improve the listings further if you want).

When a domain is leased, I assume Alter takes care of the renewals during the lease term. Have you already dealt with renewals of premium (ngtld) domains, that can be very expensive?

Alter generally takes care of the renewals for majority of the regular TLDs but buyers would be responsible for the premium renewals. I do want to thank you for bringing this up because we had completely forgotten to mention this on our website. We added the proper verbiage now.

Does Alter share buyer and seller info like Dan or keep it confidential?

The buyer and seller information would be kept confidential. However, we do show the buyer's name to sellers if a buyer makes an offer. On the other hand, the buyer would only be able to see the seller's name if the seller decides to act on the offer (i.e. accept/counter/decline it). The seller's name will not be shown if the seller cancels the offer or ignores it/lets it expire.

Ideas and feedback:

- 'Add to Shortlist' button might be more intuitive than a heart. Some might think it's only decoration.
- Quick access to most recently shortlisted names.
- Keep shortlists permanently so they don't roll off. This is valuable data for what names are resonating most with visitors over long-term.
- Highlight the speaker icon with 'Hear This Name' text, otherwise just decoration to some.
- Automate possible uses based on newly assigned categories. Hundreds of names, too much to edit manually.
- Custom edit pronunciation, sometimes it's off.
- Optimized cross-promoted domains based on Suffix/Prefix/Category i.e Row 1 'Other names based on [suffix']... row 2 'Other names based on [Prefix], row 3 'Other names based on [same category names]'
- Logos on main page are kinda huge compared to other markets. Might look better scaled down a bit? :)

Best

Great feedback as always! I appreciate all the time you put into this. :)

Regarding making the favorite button more noticeable/actionable on landers, agreed and noted.

Regarding quick access to most recently favorited names, right now you can get pretty close by simply changing the date range of your dashboard (i.e. set it to "Today" or "Yesterday" and you'll be able to see the top favorited names for that time frame).

Regarding shortlists rolling off, all the data is permanently kept and you can use your dashboard's date range feature to filter through it. I think you're looking at data on the Domains page which only shows you the last 30 days worth. The reason for this is so that every domain has equal footing when you sort by visitors/favorites/offers (i.e. so that you're always looking at data for the same number of days and newly added domains don't get pushed down just for being new).

Regarding the speaker icon, we do show a tooltip when you hover over it but since pronunciation is often subjective, we didn't want to make it too distracting.

Regarding the accuracy of automatically generated keywords/categories/ideas, a lot of it has to do with names being made-up and of course there are algorithmic limitations when you're dealing with such a small amount of data. At the end of the day, automation can only take you so far especially when you're dealing with creative tasks. This is why everything that's currently automated can still be updated by you manually if you like.

I agree it can be a bit of work for large portfolios but just like with anything else in life, the more work you put into something, the better the outcome with be. It's no different than the amount of work you put into finding the right names to invest in. Those that invest more effort into it generally end up coming out ahead. Our goal is to make that process as easy as possible for you without charging you an arm and a leg.

That said, please note that the default information generated should be very broad so it won't impact your listings in any negative way. Any additional effort you invest into improving it will simply boost the probability of a sale but doing nothing won't hurt it. Think of that information is being no different than any other content on the rest of the landing pages. It's there to help that small number of buyers who need convincing but it won't hurt your chances with the majority of buyers who already have their hearts set on the name.

Ultimately, the whole idea is to do everything possible to increase your STR compared to on other marketplaces. Since we already charge the lowest commission among all industry leaders (10% vs 11-20% elsewhere), even if all these innovative features only resulted in a small lift in STR, I think it's well worth it. Especially since it requires no additional effort on your part (though as I mentioned above, you still have the option to improve the listings further if you want).

Regarding better name recommendations, agreed and noted for the future. Right now our marketplace has a very limited inventory. This would work much better if we had a lot of recommendations to show for each category.

Regarding logo sizes, I think we fall somewhere in the middle compared to other marketplaces. There's a competitor that actually uses an even larger size. Though we'll certainly consider ways to improve this as we move forward.

Your system doesn't allow to remove all these keywords and ideas.
Also I don't need their autogeneration at all.

Categorization is not necessary as well.

Yesterday I have parked 1 of my .PROs on DAN - and received $999 initial bid this morning...
No ideas, no keywords, no categories... Just domain - and just works!

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it. I get the feeling that you're not a big believer of marketing? Let me try to change your mind. :)

Even though you personally don't see the benefits, I assure you that marketing does work. Otherwise, industry leaders in other sectors like Amazon and eBay wouldn't encourage sellers to use thousands of keywords on their product landing pages.

The whole point of it is to reach as many potential buyers as possible even ones that never considered your name in the first place. IMO, there's nothing wrong with increasing the probability of a sale if we can do it without any downsides. I mean at the end of the day, isn't domaining essentially a numbers game? The sellers who can improve their numbers generally come out ahead (i.e. by improving the quality of their names, by studying current trends, by assessing past sales, by reaching as many buyers as possible, etc).

Sure, you were able to sell that .PRO name just by relying solely on type-in traffic but you don't know if any of our innovative features could've helped sell it even quicker. In other words, if you could've sold that name a month (or even a day) quicker without paying an extra dime, why wouldn't you want to? That's essentially our goal.

That additional information on our lading pages won't make any difference to majority of the buyers who already have their heart set on your name and are going to buy it anyway (like they do on other marketplaces). However, it will help you reach even more buyers especially those that do need that additional push/convincing. So there's no downside to it, only a major upside.

Just put yourself in the buyer's shoes for a minute and think about which experience you would prefer if you were looking to name your new business/company/product/service:
Ultimately, the whole idea is to do everything possible to increase your STR compared to on other marketplaces. Since we already charge the lowest commission among all industry leaders (10% vs 11-20% elsewhere), even if all these innovative features only resulted in a small lift in STR, I think it's well worth it. Especially since it requires no additional effort on your part (but you still have the option to improve the listings further if you want).

Wow, congrats again and keep it up!! Random idea for when you retire... you should consider offering domaining courses to aspiring sellers. I think you can help a lot of people with your level of expertise, not to mention you'd probably make a killing doing it! :)

•••
Alter generally takes care of the renewals for majority of the regular TLDs but buyers would be responsible for the premium renewals. I do want to thank you for bringing this up because we had completely forgotten to mention this on our website. We added the proper verbiage now.

Thank you, yw. I guess this is the text you've Altered?

Either Alter or the buyer will pay for all domain renewal fees while the domain is held in escrow.

Still I think, some renewal fees for premium tiers may come as a huge surprise to the (LtO) buyer.

Last edited:
•••
I would like the dashboard to have options to show 100, 250, 500 domains per page.

The installment option is nice to have but there should be a markup for utilizing installments, please add such option for sellers.

And of course the ability to list using forwarding (with a TXT-record ownership confirmation), without having to use Alter's nameservers.

•••

I am going to have to agree with great post by @Bob Hawkes and add this— copy doesn’t sell domains. The domain sells the domain. You should have to explain NOTHING.

Last edited:
•••
Please remove "stylish logo included" when none is present on the lander.

Also, allow Paypal payments to fund account. I'm not keen on putting my cc info on sites anymore.

Lastly, when on the dashboard, searching the drop-down domain list, please show the asking price we have set and a means of adjusting it right on the page.

thanks

•••
Thanks for listening / in-depth feedback, as always. :)

Last edited:
•••
Please remove "stylish logo included" when none is present on the lander.

Also, allow Paypal payments to fund account. I'm not keen on putting my cc info on sites anymore.

Lastly, when on the dashboard, searching the drop-down domain list, please show the asking price we have set and a means of adjusting it right on the page.

thanks

I agree with the first two, good points.

I'd also like to suggest being able to see immediately which domains domains have been visited through the marketplace without having to select every one of them and check. More info on traffic would also be beneficial, such as if the visits came through a ''similar domains'' section, or through a search on the marketplace or something else.

Any self respecting entrepreneur values good data and that would be good data.

•••
Any self respecting entrepreneur values good data and that would be good data.
Absolutely.

Plus, I want to know if someone put a name in the BIN basket, if someone contacted them through chat or called about a name. This information is vital and the first marketplace that is willing to share it with the seller, will gain market share.

•••
While I agree with the various ideas for more data, and the idea that more data is always good, if priority is being given, I would prefer the additional effort at Alter go into things that gets more eyes on names on the marketplace, and more transactions.

I use Sedo, Afternic, Dan, various registrar marketplaces, SquadHelp and Alter, and even as it is, Alter gives more useful information on visits than any of the others. To me I like to track visits and likes, and by setting custom range to a longer one can readily see which names are top (would like to see a longer list).

I only delve into the source of those visits, e.g. marketplace vs direct, when I am considering renewal decisions or whether to keep the name on marketplace or pricing. It is not something I do often enough for an individual name that the pull down menu is problematic. I guess if I had more names on Alter (I have about 250) the menu might be challenging to manage.

Bob

•••
Would you please consider adding TransferWise as one of the payment methods?

•••
Add a seller comments box ( optional ) where seller can describe some information or similar sales records etc.....
**Consider, 1% discount offer ( bank pay )

•••

Congratulations

You now changed all your top domains from alter nameservers to another registrar !!!

Can we know the difference between both , while alter already selling your domains on that registrar !!

•••
Absolutely.

Plus, I want to know if someone put a name in the BIN basket, if someone contacted them through chat or called about a name. This information is vital and the first marketplace that is willing to share it with the seller, will gain market share.

Today, I'm getting an abnormal amount of marketplace visits for a meh domain.

Screenshot_2021-10-13-12-02-12-535_com.android.chrome.jpg

And this is only in 12 hours since midnight. The domain is nowhere on the front page or any of the sections. It even shows up low when I search for either of the keywords in it.

I would like to understand what is happening here. Again, data, data and data. These kinds of things could really push Alter up compared to other marketplaces.

•••
I would like to understand what is happening here. Again, data, data and data. These kinds of things could really push Alter up compared to other marketplaces.

You can enable Google Analytics in Alter settings to get more insights.

•••
•••
Back