Dynadot

Alter.com Marketplace

NameSilo
Watch

Deven Patel

Founder, Alter.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new premium domain marketplace we just launched called Alter. I would love to hear your thoughts! As the world’s largest community of domainers, your feedback would be invaluable.

Let me introduce myself. Although I’m new to NamePros, I’ve been around the block. I’ve been buying and selling domains for my own startup ideas for over 20 years. As a serial entrepreneur, I founded a number of startups across various industries like marketing, web hosting, social networking, blogging, and SaaS. This experience has helped me understand how indispensable a brand name is to a business.

Most new entrepreneurs don’t think twice about their company name. Our goal is to change that! A brand name literally has the power to make or break their business. This is more true today than ever before now that there are countless alternatives to every product or service imaginable. Sure, every business may have their own world-changing differentiator but from the outside they all look the same at which point the main differentiator ends up becoming their brand name. In a world full of distractions, we no longer have the attention span to thoroughly research what we buy so we rely on our emotions. This is why large businesses like Apple and Amazon spend billions on their “brand” alone because they understand that customer perception is everything.

Anyway, I noticed that most marketplaces that exist today are focused more on the seller rather than the buyer. Our goal is to reverse the equation and prioritize buyers because I think they are the key to success in any industry. The domain industry is no exception. Without buyers, there’s no money. This is why we’ve made it our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed!

And what’s with the 30-35% commission rate most of these marketplaces are charging? Unless they’re doing more work than a human broker, I don’t think anything over the industry average of 15-20% is warranted. We’re changing that. Alter has one of the lowest rates in the industry, an all-inclusive 10% commission fee when a name sells. There are no other fees or restrictions.

What do you think? Are we on the right track or barking up the wrong tree?

Deven
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Stars are now displaying in the domain manager to denote the addition of logos. If you hover over a star, a hint tells you whether it is a professional Alter logo or one uploaded by the seller.

Thanks @Deven Patel.

I have just uploaded a new logo for review, and noticed that that domain now displays a very pale star and the hint message says "Uploaded logo is pending".

These innovations are very good.

Good to see indeed - thanks @Deven Patel !

•••
Some questions.

If there is no manual curation, what stops people from submitting a bunch of non-brandable, subpar domains on the marketplace? Is your automatic tool really going to be able to differentiate them from domains which should be on a brandable domain marketplace?

What differentiates your marketplace from any other at this point? It's more like DAN or Afternic with added logos.

And most importantly, hear me out:

Why would somebody list their domains for syndication on your marketplace? You list on DAN, for example, so that sellers don't need to do that themselves. HOWEVER, you mark up the domains thereby reducing the sellers' STR. Why on earth wouldn't a seller list their domains on DAN themselves with the original price?

You're essentially just taking a cut in return for saving us a little bit of time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

•••
Why would somebody list their domains for syndication on your marketplace?

You can disable that if you want, visit the settings page. Syndication is optional.

•••
Some questions.

If there is no manual curation, what stops people from submitting a bunch of non-brandable, subpar domains on the marketplace? Is your automatic tool really going to be able to differentiate them from domains which should be on a brandable domain marketplace?

What differentiates your marketplace from any other at this point? It's more like DAN or Afternic with added logos.

And most importantly, hear me out:

Why would somebody list their domains for syndication on your marketplace? You list on DAN, for example, so that sellers don't need to do that themselves. HOWEVER, you mark up the domains thereby reducing the sellers' STR. Why on earth wouldn't a seller list their domains on DAN themselves with the original price?

You're essentially just taking a cut in return for saving us a little bit of time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my view, all he did was decide to be like dan, there is now zero advantage to listing on alter vrs dan aside from 1% commission saved, UNLESS we know ad expenses.

Regardless, Alter is a decent option, but it is no longer a " special " option, it is a " value " option. and soon it will hold a million domains in the pile of their search engine.

please note: I still think its a positive strategy. but do not compare this to the next big thing.

•••
In my view, all he did was decide to be like dan, there is now zero advantage to listing on alter vrs dan aside from 1% commission saved, UNLESS we know ad expenses.

Regardless, Alter is a decent option, but it is no longer a " special " option, it is a " value " option. and soon it will hold a million domains in the pile of their search engine.

please note: I still think its a positive strategy. but do not compare this to the next big thing.

I agree with everything you said. I think he just saw that most of the traffic was coming in from domain type ins therefore more domains = more sales. And since they are no longer reviewing domains, more domains just linearly brings them more profit as they're not wasting time and resources.

All in all, if you intend to keep a brandable market very high quality with hand picked domains, you simply need a lot of marketing and therefore STR would skyrocket between a smaller pool of domains. In that case, I think they needed to charge more commission and charge for listings.

Otherwise, the marketplace inevitably becomes another DAN. As such, I don't quite see the benefits.
I'm not saying it's bad. They have beautiful landing pages IMO and clearly there's something going on with their AI domain selection and filtering but as of now, I don't see it as anything unique.

•••
Hi @Deven Patel

For some of my domains, I'd like the Basic Logo to explicitely include the TLD in the logo text. For example with non-com domains like .net and .org, but also with .shop and other TLDs where the TLD is an essential part of the context. Further, for some TLDs, I'd like to change casing of the TLD as well. Could you please make this possible? Would be great, thank you.

upload_2021-8-29_22-39-35.png

Last edited:
•••
Hello, @Dave Patel. Does Alter also pay sellers in Cryptocurrency or is it just an option for buyers of domain names? And how about the 60 Day lock. Do we have to wait or there is a way around it like Dan does. Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Oh, what a difference from

Sept. 2020 - we want to build the best brandable marketplace for highly curated high quality domain names

to

Aug 2021 - we are a "list any crap you like" marketplace like Dan or Afternic.

I saw a 4 words domain name listed ... it's sad really.

Anyway, do they still ask to let them know a month in advance if you want to remove your name(s)? That would be silly now but I guess you never know...

•••
I kinda like the changes they made. Got all my domains on there now, testing things out. We shall see.

•••
The main concept and advantage of a brandable marketplace should be a curated and well organized portfolio with quality names.

•••
Why would it better to use alter ?

I think we would need to know their commitment and amount of ad expenses to know the true value.

What differentiates your marketplace from any other at this point?

Check out my very first post of this thread. That original vision hasn't changed. Our goal has always been to help buyers find the perfect brand name for their new company, product, or service.

For sellers, Alter brings the benefits of a brandable marketplace to all domains. Though keep in mind that brandable vs non-brandable are just keywords coined by domainers. Buyers don't know the difference or care for that matter.

Compared to other marketplaces (brandable or not), we're super efficient at everything and reinvest majority of the profit we generate back into marketing. In fact, while we were marketing our inventory on AdWords we noticed that there were only two other brandable marketplaces competing for the same ads (based on impression share). One spent a little more than us while another spent less. And surprisingly, we didn't see any non-brandable marketplace on that list. We might be the only marketplace that actually markets non-brandables.

In terms of marketing commitment, we've invested 3X our profit back into marketing so far and since we launched last year I have personally invested thousands of dollars into the company without taking a single penny out. Can you say the same about any other marketplace?

I understand not everyone here will agree with our strategy but all the decisions we've made have only helped us and our sellers in the big picture. We went from 0 to almost 400,000 monthly visitors in just under a year. Check out our traffic chart below. This month has also been our top sales month to date. :)

alter-traffic.png

For those that are curious about the types of ads we run, below is a small sample.

alter-ads.png

Then there's SEO which has the best ROI but the toughest to crack. We're constantly working on it and have achieved a lot in a small amount of time. Check out our current rankings for a small sample of keywords below. We now rank higher than DNJournal for the keyword "top domain sales"!

alter-seo.png

These are just a few things we're working on. Plenty more on our roadmap but of course we're not going to give away our entire playbook. ;)

All in all, if you intend to keep a brandable market very high quality with hand picked domains, you simply need a lot of marketing and therefore STR would skyrocket between a smaller pool of domains. In that case, I think they needed to charge more commission and charge for listings.

Correct. As I had explained in a previous post, running a brandable-only marketplace at 10% commission is very unprofitable especially with a small inventory. And even at 30% commission it seems like our competitors aren't able to make it work which is probably why they keep increasing their own inventories to 100K+ names. It seems like every brandable marketplace eventually ends up at the same spot as we've seen countless times in the past (increase inventory to be profitable).

We spent a considerable amount of money marketing on Google/Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter/etc and noticed that the customer acquisition cost was wayy beyond $1,000+. That means it would cost way more than $1,000 to acquire a single customer who ends up buying a $2-3k domain. Of course, we don't know the exact CAC because of our very small sample size but my point is that it's super expensive to acquire customers through ads alone (it could cost $1k or even $10k to acquire a single customer). This is probably why they charge 30% and increase their inventories to 100K+ names (bigger inventory = more direct traffic = free advertising). And on the non-brandable side, this is probably why marketplaces don't invest in paid marketing because the numbers can't work with their current commission rates.

The main concept and advantage of a brandable marketplace should be a curated and well organized portfolio with quality names.

Yes, exactly. That's the goal and so far it's working like a charm. You can see the results here: https://alter.com/names

We're trying to do what Google did to Yahoo. Yahoo was a manually curated directory until Google decided to eat their lunch using an automated algorithm. Just because we're not manually curating domains doesn't mean we're not manually working on our algorithm. Just like how Google constantly updates their SEO algo, we're going to keep adjusting it to weed out low quality names.

The whole point of dropping the premium label was so that sellers didn't feel excluded when their names weren't chosen as premium. This levels the playing field yet gives quality names the exposure they deserve.

Again, think of it like SEO. There are trillions of pages indexed by Google yet only the high quality results show up at the top. However, Google can still show the low quality results if there are no high quality results available for certain long-tail keywords. Win-win! :)

I still think its a positive strategy. but do not compare this to the next big thing.

Thanks for the compliment. We're not trying to be the next big thing, at least at this stage. We're just trying to sell more domains. Even if all our effort only results in a small increase in STR compared to listing elsewhere, it's still a win. Wouldn't you agree? More bang for your buck!

Oh, what a difference from

Sept. 2020 - we want to build the best brandable marketplace for highly curated high quality domain names

to

Aug 2021 - we are a "list any crap you like" marketplace like Dan or Afternic.

I saw a 4 words domain name listed ... it's sad really.

Anyway, do they still ask to let them know a month in advance if you want to remove your name(s)? That would be silly now but I guess you never know...

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the fact that you took time out of your busy life to comment on this thread. Must mean we're doing something right? ;)

If you've been following this thread, you would know that we're very open minded. We're always learning and evolving. We're not afraid to swallow our pride and put our ego aside for the greater good.

"If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough." - Elon Musk

That said, as I mentioned above our original vision of helping buyers find their perfect brand name hasn't changed. The path may have shifted but the destination is still the same.

Based on the number of your posts I've read on NP, you seem like a very smart individual. Why not offer productive ideas that can benefit everyone instead of this pointless criticism? Or if you'd rather keep your ideas to yourself and think you can do a better job, why not launch another marketplace and compete against everyone? Actions speak louder than words, my friend.

Btw, we never asked sellers to give us a 30 day notice prior to moving their names even though it doesn't benefit us.

The main benefit is the convenience of not having to worry about dealing with different companies, updating prices across accounts, re-verifying domains, etc. A number of sellers asked for this so we implemented it. It also made sense because personally I'd rather spend that extra time finding new names to invest in rather than on maintaining existing inventory.

Based on our experience, a small difference in the pricing doesn't impact STR because domains are unique. It's no different than having Afternic or Sedo list on their MLS networks even though a lot of those registrars have markups.

Unlike 99% of products listed on Amazon, there can only be one owner of each domain. And when buyers want that specific domain they're not going to care about the 10-20% difference in pricing because they don't even know there's a difference (if they did, they would simply buy it from the marketplace that offered it for the cheapest in which case you still get that sale).

Anyway, we understand that everyone has their own opinion about this which is why we made syndication optional.

What I notice after the update is, the domains listed at Alter are not seen on Dan or Sedo. Though the traffic stats shows visits from partner, still they are not seen on those platforms. It was showing earlier..

Can you please reach out to support so we can look into this in more detail?

I currently use dan for my domains (20k+), is it possible to sell all over alter ? Do you have a csv import/export and/or API for bulk sellers ?

Yes sir! We would love to have you on board. At this time, our bulk add tool allows you to add up to 100 domains at a time but you can send your spreadsheet to support and we'll take care of it for you.

Does Alter also pay sellers in Cryptocurrency or is it just an option for buyers of domain names? And how about the 60 Day lock. Do we have to wait or there is a way around it like Dan does. Thank you.

At this time crypto is only an option for buyers. Regarding the 60 day lock, you don't need to wait. If in a rare situation a buyer purchases a domain within that time frame, we would just encourage a free push to the same registrar. So far we haven't had any negative experiences due to this.

I'd like to order more logos, but it's not easy to see which domains already have (custom) logos in my portfolio. With larger portfolios like mine (737 domains at Alter, atm) this really is an issue. I'd like to spend more, but miss the overview.

I agree with @Future Sensors that a logo indicator would be useful in the domain manager.

For some of my domains, I'd like the Basic Logo to explicitely include the TLD in the logo text. For example with non-com domains like .net and .org, but also with .shop and other TLDs where the TLD is an essential part of the context.

Done and done. :)

•••
I have many opinions, but to share my constructive criticism.

First with a question , what % estimate of buyers use the " Price Low / High " Search option ?

This is very unfriendly as it currently shows any " make offer " first, which im sure will tire the buyers,
The other option you would have is show a ton of the low ball no premiums and there is a ton of wacky Geo's , 3 words , and low ball low quality domains. I suggest a base price for all.

That being said the other non user friendly thing I see, is a buyer can only skip 3 pages at a time, and or 270 pages. no in between options,

Just my view. wishing you all luck,

•••
Thanks @Daven Patel. You need to figure out how to start paying sellers in crypto if you want more sellers bringing their names to Alter.

Last edited:
•••

Very strong reply. You've done well to cover everything and more. Time will tell if you were right about your business decisions. I think I'll start listing names on Alter and see what happens.
A few more points tho:

Yes, exactly. That's the goal and so far it's working like a charm. You can see the results here: https://alter.com/names

Well done. You made an algorithm to pick out domains based on their length and pronounceability. I do notice, though, that most of the domains shown are made up brandable words. The only one on the first page (for me) which isn't is HugeCode.com but I'm sure that's a coincidence as your system detected it to be an 8 letter pronounceable domain. So short brandables are preferred to two word domains like HerbalZone.com, CodingCity.com etc.

This isn't necessarily bad, I just want to know more about this if you don't mind. Was this made on purpose because made up brandables are universal and would work on multiple niches (generally speaking)? So then, when someone lands on the front page, they are shown these general purpose domains but if they filter by niche, like coding & programming, they are shown domains like CodingCity.com, HugeCode.com etc.
If so, that would make sense. Do you have a rough overview of how these made up pronounceables are doing on Alter?

Based on our experience, a small difference in the pricing doesn't impact STR because domains are unique. It's no different than having Afternic or Sedo list on their MLS networks even though a lot of those registrars have markups.

There's a loophole in that kind of thinking. If there is no difference in STR with a price increase of 10%, then I could increase the price of all my domains by 10% and keep the same STR. Then after that, I could increase it by 10% more and still have the same STR and so on. It's well known that higher price -> lower STR although it may not matter on a small sample size.

And lastly, I agree with ecomslice. Sorting by price low to high, buyers shouldn't be shown make offer domains. That's counterproductive and someone who is looking for the cheaper end of domains won't buy Pan.com.

I suggest showing only buy now domains for that filter and a clickable line saying ''show make offer domains''.

Last edited:
•••
After we set a portfolio page, How about showing a link to our portfolio on the landing pages of our domains And if we disable showing similar domains from the landing pages, it should be replaced with other domains from our own portfolio.

•••
Alter's inventory now has domain names of high and low quality.

What kinds of domain names in Alter are advertised in Google and social media platforms?

•••
I miss the free logos :)

I understand that the problem was that some sellers kept removing the domains too frequently.

But you know who the trusted sellers are who don't keep removing the domains constantly.

Could you please continue designing logos for free for the trusted sellers? But not for every domain. If your AI appraisal tool calculates 1999 USD or more value for a domain name, then you could take a look at that domain and if it is really a good domain and the seller is trusted, you could design a logo for free.

Or you could provide free logo credits for trusted sellers based on the quality and quantity of their domain portfolio, should these sellers keep their domains at Alter long enough.

It would be a win-win since the logos improve the quality of the marketplace and help to sell the quality domains faster. And free logos are an incentive for sellers to keep their domains at Alter, because new sellers won't receive free logos, only the sellers who keep their domains at Alter.

•••
Arcade.xyz sold for 25500 usd. Another seamless transaction through Alter.

Thanks @Deven Patel

•••
Domain stats are not updating and domain appraisal is too limited, we reach the daily limit too quickly.

Last edited:
•••
I just found out that pointing your nameservers to Alter is a requirement to list there.

No, it's not just for confirmation. I'd understand if it was a brandable marketplace like before but now with the sheer volume of names bring submitted, I don't quite see the point.

Deven himself said that most buyers are decided buyers and are going to buy, wherever the namersvers point to.
I tested some and the average views from the marketplace (not direct type in is consiredably less than 1 per name). Since the switch away from the brandable marketplace type is only recent, I suspect the number of names will grow manifold and thus the number of views will fall drastically.

I struggle to see how it's worth it to risk direct type in visitors being distracted by other names for that <0.1 visitors per day my name is going to bring via the marketplace. I understand the average visitor through the marketplace is higher quality than a type in visitor but still. Not that much more surely.

•••
Why I can't find any domain submission option on alter now?...is it AI powered only? Manual appraisal & acceptance process stopped now?

•••
Why I can't find any domain submission option on alter now?...is it AI powered only? Manual appraisal & acceptance process stopped now?

Just register and login and you will be able to add domains from "Mange Domains" tab...

•••
I have many opinions, but to share my constructive criticism.

Thank you, my friend! Constructive feedback is always more useful and can benefit everyone in the long run. Even with everything else in life, people would be much more productive if we were able to put our differences and egos aside for the greater good. So I truly appreciate your and everyone else's constructive feedback. :)

what % estimate of buyers use the " Price Low / High " Search option ?

This is very unfriendly as it currently shows any " make offer " first, which im sure will tire the buyers,
The other option you would have is show a ton of the low ball no premiums and there is a ton of wacky Geo's , 3 words , and low ball low quality domains. I suggest a base price for all.

Not many. I looked at our data and it seems like ~3% our visitors sort by price (high to low) and ~1% sort by price (low to high). It's also hard to differentiate between how many of these are buyers vs sellers so the number is actually much lower for buyers.

I agree that in a perfect world this would work better but if we want to give all domains an equal chance then I think we'll have to make this minor sacrifice. It's a damned if we do and damned if we don't situation. Before, we received complaints from sellers that their non-premium names weren't showing up when sorted by price. This approach solves that problem.

Anyway, as you can see above it's not going to have much negative impact because sort by "relevance" is used majority of the time. Buyers almost never sort by price without filtering the names down further using the search bar so they'll never want to sort our entire inventory by price. And in the rare event that they do, they would simply use the price filter to weed out the outliers.

Also, there is an advantage to this which is that buyers who do see the outrageously priced domains will appreciate the well priced domains even more (i.e. if you see MyTechShop.com listed for $100K and TechShop.com listed for $10K, you would feel like the latter is a great deal and would want to purchase it instantly). So in a way, it helps motivate sellers to price their names competitively.

That said, if you or anyone else has a better way of dealing with this please feel free to share your thoughts. We're always learning and more than happy to consider your ideas. :)

That being said the other non user friendly thing I see, is a buyer can only skip 3 pages at a time, and or 270 pages. no in between options,

This is normal. I think BB uses the same strategy. Generally nobody would want to skip pages (i.e. think about how often you skip pages during a Google search). And having the last page there helps those very small number of curious buyers see the end of the results. Even Amazon uses the same strategy. See here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=camera

You need to figure out how to start paying sellers in crypto if you want more sellers bringing their names to Alter.

Agreed. This is already on our roadmap. We typically prioritize new features based on demand so thanks for your vote.

Well done. You made an algorithm to pick out domains based on their length and pronounceability. I do notice, though, that most of the domains shown are made up brandable words. The only one on the first page (for me) which isn't is HugeCode.com but I'm sure that's a coincidence as your system detected it to be an 8 letter pronounceable domain. So short brandables are preferred to two word domains like HerbalZone.com, CodingCity.com etc.

This isn't necessarily bad, I just want to know more about this if you don't mind. Was this made on purpose because made up brandables are universal and would work on multiple niches (generally speaking)? So then, when someone lands on the front page, they are shown these general purpose domains but if they filter by niche, like coding & programming, they are shown domains like CodingCity.com, HugeCode.com etc.
If so, that would make sense. Do you have a rough overview of how these made up pronounceables are doing on Alter?

We don't specifically prioritize between made up vs keyword based names. The algorithm relies more heavily on buyer feedback. This means the ranks can change based on new trends, etc (just like SEO). Unfortunately, I can't give you the specifics because then some sellers would try to game it. But I can tell you that we use a variety of factors and buyer signals to rank names. Also, note that it can often take a few days or weeks before a name finds it's true position in the results because the algo is continuously collecting and assessing new data for each individual name.

There's a loophole in that kind of thinking. If there is no difference in STR with a price increase of 10%, then I could increase the price of all my domains by 10% and keep the same STR. Then after that, I could increase it by 10% more and still have the same STR and so on. It's well known that higher price -> lower STR although it may not matter on a small sample size.

We're not talking about double or triple the price. If you know that the buyer likes a domain and is willing to pay $1,000 for it then $1,100 isn't a deal breaker but $3,000 would be.

It's all about the pros and cons at the end of the day. What I often ask myself before making a decision about anything is... how much is my time worth? In other words, how can I best leverage my time to generate the most value?

After we set a portfolio page, How about showing a link to our portfolio on the landing pages of our domains And if we disable showing similar domains from the landing pages, it should be replaced with other domains from our own portfolio.

That's an interesting idea. But I wonder, would showing unrelated domains really be that useful to buyers? Does it actually generate more sales for sellers? I wonder if anyone has any data or valuable insights around this. We would be happy to implement it if there's a tangible benefit.

Alter's inventory now has domain names of high and low quality.

What kinds of domain names in Alter are advertised in Google and social media platforms?

All of them. :)

So there are primarily two types of ads we run on Google/social media: retargeting ads and general ads.

The retargeting ads target specific domains. When a buyer visits your domain's landing page, they're tagged with a cross-site cookie. Then when they visit another website like Forbes for example, they'll see an ad with your name that points back to your landing page.

The general ads target specific keyword and category pages on our website. This is where your name's ranking comes into play because most buyers will only browse through the first few pages of the results (just like you do on Google when searching for anything). All names are treated equally when they're added to our platform. Over time, our smart algo will determine which ones rank higher than others based on a number of factors like the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, etc (just like how SEO works).

Beyond ads, there are other ways buyers can find your name like if it appears under another name in the similar business names section, if it appears alongside one of our trademark pages, etc, etc. We're constantly finding new and innovative ways to drive traffic to your landing pages.

The only thing you have to work on is finding quality names to invest in because there's no substitute for quality. In other words, no amount of traffic will help you if your names are low quality.

I miss the free logos :)

I understand that the problem was that some sellers kept removing the domains too frequently.

But you know who the trusted sellers are who don't keep removing the domains constantly.

Could you please continue designing logos for free for the trusted sellers? But not for every domain. If your AI appraisal tool calculates 1999 USD or more value for a domain name, then you could take a look at that domain and if it is really a good domain and the seller is trusted, you could design a logo for free.

Or you could provide free logo credits for trusted sellers based on the quality and quantity of their domain portfolio, should these sellers keep their domains at Alter long enough.

It would be a win-win since the logos improve the quality of the marketplace and help to sell the quality domains faster. And free logos are an incentive for sellers to keep their domains at Alter, because new sellers won't receive free logos, only the sellers who keep their domains at Alter.

I do understand your concern. But the issue is if we were to do that, we'd have a bunch of sellers come out of the woodwork and start complaining again about why we didn't choose their names or give them the free credits. The current approach levels the playing field for everyone. In fact, the "unfair" complaints dropped significantly since our last announcement.

If you're worried about the cost, here's a strategy I would suggest. Order professional logos for only a few of your top names at first. Then once you sell one, you can reinvest that profit in the other names slowly over time. By then you should also get an idea of whether you want to even keep some of the other names in your portfolio by sorting them by visitors, favorites, offers, etc. And of course, all the logos we designed for your old premium inventory are still there. :)

Domain stats are not updating and domain appraisal is too limited, we reach the daily limit too quickly.

We're not aware of any technical issues at the moment. Which stats are you referring to? Please note that the data on your dashboard is displayed in real-time. The stats you see on the Domains page update every 24 hours or so as mentioned on that page.

Regarding the appraisal limit, I asked you this before but never received a response. How many domains are you trying to appraise? We have a daily limit to prevent abuse. Though the limit for logged in users is much higher than for visitors.

I just found out that pointing your nameservers to Alter is a requirement to list there.

No, it's not just for confirmation. I'd understand if it was a brandable marketplace like before but now with the sheer volume of names bring submitted, I don't quite see the point.

Deven himself said that most buyers are decided buyers and are going to buy, wherever the namersvers point to.
I tested some and the average views from the marketplace (not direct type in is consiredably less than 1 per name). Since the switch away from the brandable marketplace type is only recent, I suspect the number of names will grow manifold and thus the number of views will fall drastically.

I struggle to see how it's worth it to risk direct type in visitors being distracted by other names for that <0.1 visitors per day my name is going to bring via the marketplace. I understand the average visitor through the marketplace is higher quality than a type in visitor but still. Not that much more surely.

That has always been the case. Come on now.. you can't have your cake and eat it too. We're not running a charity here. :-,

Why is it okay for brandable marketplaces to require you to use their landers? IMO, it should be the opposite. Since they charge you a whopping 30% commission, they can afford to pay hundreds if not thousands to acquire a buyer through paid channels alone. We can't so we reply on type-in traffic to help shoulder that cost. Not sure why you think it's okay for them even though they're already charging you an arm and a leg for it on top.

Beyond that, there are a couple of other reasons why we do this and both have to do with fairness.
  1. Fairness to us: Since we actually market your names, it wouldn't make sense for another marketplace to get the sale if one of our buyers ends up typing the domain into their browser and purchasing it elsewhere.
  2. Fairness to other sellers: If other sellers are willing to point there domains to our marketplace and share a portion of their traffic with you then it wouldn't be fair to them if you didn't. This is also true on other marketplaces.
Regarding distractions, based on what we're seeing majority of the type-in leads only want the domains they landed on so those wouldn't be at risk. If they were, nobody would ever use any marketplace (there are millions of domains that use landers on other marketplaces).

However, there are a small number of leads that land on the domain and decide not to buy it. Unless there's a decent number of alternatives available to them, they would just leave. Contrary to what some here believe, you can't just force them to buy another completely unrelated name by locking them in. But a large marketplace can still try to convert these leads with their much larger inventory. Just try and put yourself in the buyer's shoes and think about it. Play it out in your head.

I think a lot of sellers are scared about this unnecessarily. Just think about the fact that GoDaddy has every single name any buyer could ever want available in countless different extensions at $10 a pop. That would be considered distraction overload! Yet, they sell so many aftermarket names. If you have quality names and you believe in them then there's no reason to be afraid.

Again, these are leads that would have never converted on your landing pages anyway. And in return, you receive the same benefit when the small number of leads that land on other sellers' domains end up buying your domains instead. It simply increases your chance of a sale because the leads are better targeted to the names they want. And if the marketplace can still sell that lead something (rather than them leaving), it can reinvest that profit into even more marketing. Win-win for everyone.

Anyway, as I mentioned before we understand that everyone has their own opinion about this which is why we even made the similar names section on landers optional.

Regarding the increase in inventory taking traffic away from your domains, I don't see it that way. A larger inventory would actually help quality sellers because a lot of that low quality type-in traffic will see the better options. This is one of the reasons you sometimes still get a sale from a non-brandable marketplace even though you're not using their landers (because of other sellers who do use their landers).

Again, let's put ourselves in the buyer's shoes and play this out. Say the marketplace has the following names listed and a buyer comes along with a $5k budget looking for a name to use with his/her new tech blog:

Tech.com - $30,000,000
Technology.com - $5,000,000
TechZone.com - $5,000
Techedd.com - $3,000
YourTechBlogSite.com - $40,000
TechingStuff.com - $100,000
MyTechWorldNews.co - $100

Which name do you think they'll buy? And does having the other low quality ones listed take away anything from the high quality ones?

All in all, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. What you should ask yourself is.. what value are you receiving in return for the 10% commission? If Alter provides more value for your buck then our competitors then what's the problem? Mind you, that's the lowest rate among both brandable and non-brandable industry leaders.

And as I mentioned before, if you think you have a better way to do this then please share your solution with us. We would be more than happy to implement it if it makes sense. Our intention isn't to rip anyone off, it's to build the best marketplace that we can based on everyone's feedback and eventually make some profit from it just like what you're trying to do with your domains. :)

Just log in to your Alter account and click on the "Domains" tab followed by "Manage Domains". You will see an option to "Add Domains" there. Or just go straight here: https://alter.com/domains/manage/add

If you still need help, please reach out to support.

And you're correct. Moving forward, we consider all names as premium names similar to GoDaddy (how they consider all aftermarket names as premium). We no longer manually review names. Our smart algo will handle that moving forward.

Our smart search algorithm uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback. Everything from the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, and more is used to determine its rank. Just like the Google search algorithm, we continually adjust our algorithm over time based on buyer feedback to ensure an optimal experience and high STR. This means high quality names will continue to thrive while giving new listings an equal opportunity (just like SEO). This levels the playing field for everyone so you don't have to rely on some random person's judgement regarding the quality of your names. :)

Alter.com is just awesome , I sold a domain recently and whole transaction completion is fast and I just cash out thru wire transfer . Most importantly, the fee in unbelievably 10%😮👍

Alter.com is just awesome, sold insuran.com at low 5 figures . 2nd sales within 10 days.

The speed of sales completion are unexpectedly fast, faster than afternic.com fast transfer premium listing sales . Money already in my bank account in Hong Kong.

Sold S/c/o/t/t .xyz for 7500 usd
Seamless process and team was very helpful.

Arcade.xyz sold for 25500 usd. Another seamless transaction through Alter.

Wow, both of you had two large sales this month. Congrats!! If you ever feel like writing a blog about the investment strategies you use, please let us know. We'd love to feature it on our site! :)

•••
I added a domain and it was instantly published after I did the verification but I didnt like the description of the domain, is there any way I can change it?

Also, why don't you manually review the names? Won't this just bombard your marketplace with not so useful domains and ultimately pushing the sales down?

Last edited:
•••
That has always been the case. Come on now.. you can't have your cake and eat it too. We're not running a charity here. :-,

Why is it okay for brandable marketplaces to require you to use their landers? IMO, it should be the opposite. Since they charge you a whopping 30% commission, they can afford to pay hundreds if not thousands to acquire a buyer through paid channels alone. We can't so we reply on type-in traffic to help shoulder that cost. Not sure why you think it's okay for them even though they're already charging you an arm and a leg for it on top.

With a smaller, specialized inventory, there is always a chance that someone might land on your names and buy them. With an increasing number of unfiltered domains, there's a diminishing chance that someone finds your name due to the sheer volume. Although I agree that their fees are ridiculous. It should be 10% commission + charges for listing since we're the ones bringing in the traffic with our nameservers for the most part.

Again, let's put ourselves in the buyer's shoes and play this out. Say the marketplace has the following names listed and a buyer comes along with a $5k budget looking for a name to use with his/her new tech blog:

Tech.com - $30,000,000
Technology.com - $5,000,000
TechZone.com - $5,000
Techedd.com - $3,000
YourTechBlogSite.com - $40,000
TechingStuff.com - $100,000
MyTechWorldNews.co - $100

Which name do you think they'll buy? And does having the other low quality ones listed take away anything from the high quality ones?

All in all, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. What you should ask yourself is.. what value are you receiving in return for the 10% commission?

I don't look at it that way. What if somebody searches for the keyword ''tech'' and your name shows up 1000th on the list? And you've already said that a small number of people are undecided buyers in the first place.
Furthermore, an even more important point:

There are some names which you simply won't find in any other way than browsing through marketplaces. The best example would be made up brandables. These can be quite good actually but unless the buyer specifically thinks of a name like that, they are never going to find it unless they get it shown to them in some way. This is where smaller, specialized marketplaces are better. They're the best way of selling these names, I doubt they get spotted, realistically, on Alter with this business model.

However, there are a small number of leads that land on the domain and decide not to buy it. Unless there's a decent number of alternatives available to them, they would just leave.

This is the bottomline for me. If most buyers came for the name then landed on; and let's presume that the ones who are distracted away from your names are counteracted by the ones who get distracted by your name from other names, then what's the point exactly?
Why would I switch away from DAN if it's pretty much the same thing as DAN, basically? Unless you can prove that STR is higher at Alter (due to advertising etc.) in which case everyone is going to switch and it's going to be the new DAN 2.0.

In my view, a perfect brandable marketplace should be the one brining traffic to your domains (not the other way round) and you'd be paying massive commissions and listing fees to have the privilege of listing your domains there. This is logical. The other way, where most of the traffic comes through nameservers, is pretty much what you and DAN are doing. But you said this:

What you should ask yourself is.. what value are you receiving in return for the 10% commission? If Alter provides more value for your buck then our competitors then what's the problem?

That's the million dollar question. Your presumption is that it's true. I'm cautious. Time will tell.

Don't think I'm just a negative critic. I believe I'm asking the right questions and ones that all successful domainers will be asking themselves before they switch their inventory to Alter.

I wish you the best of luck. After all, success of Alter is directly tied to the success of domainers. If you can do better than DAN, then good for all of us but that's easier said than done.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back