Dynadot

news All about these popular .AI domain names

NameSilo
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Wow!.. gotta say, this Vincent chap sounds like an interesting character. Would be great if some of you guys who do Interviews could get hold of him for an interview

.AI domain names are very popular right now, but buyers should know what they are getting.

.AI domain names have become popular over the past year thanks to the explosion of Artificial Intelligence companies. Artificial intelligence is a mouthful, so a lot of people use AI for short.

What better domain for an AI company than .AI, right? Well, maybe. Here’s what you should know about the .AI domain name before you commit to using one for your company’s website and email address.

.AI isn’t short for Artificial Intelligence

OK, people in the domain name world already know this, but many of the people registering these domain names don’t know that .AI is actually short for Anguilla.

Anguilla is a British Overseas Territory in the Caribbean that has a population of just 15,000 or so. Its economy depends on tourism and offshore banking. And, as a reader pointed out in the comments, Google doesn’t treat .AI as an international domain. It assumes the content is targeting Anguilla. All 15,000 of the people there…

The management of .AI is very manual

Registering and updating .AI domain names can take time. There’s literally a guy named Vincent in Anguilla who handles these domains (and he uses a Gmail address).

Having one guy in charge of this also means there’s a single point of failure. And it’s fair to question the security of this zone, but more on that later.

Read Full Article Here:
http://domainnamewire.com/2017/02/21/popular-ai-domain-names/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't own any .ai .. however it is relatively new in "trendiness" ... so I think it will only be a matter of time before Goggle starts treating it internationally like .co, .tv, .io, .to, .ly and the other repurposed TLD's.

Shout out to Vince .. if he does it all manually then at least we know Vince isn't in fact the SkyNet AI from Terminator plotting to steal everyone's domain names (... and destroy the world .. lol)

•••
Single point of failure? /shudder

Another thing to keep in mind is, if you aren't planning on having an account directly through the .ai registry, you won't be able to have your custom whois info show up for your domain. In other words, say you keep or register your .ai domain at 101domain. Because they don't have a direct account, they actually manage all their .ai extensions through rgwusa.com, which means you will see a rgwusa.com email address in your whois for your .ai domain. Confusing? Yeah.

Anyboo, even with these caveats, my experience with .ai domains has always been good. 101domain takes care of transfers quickly and efficiently, and Vincent over at the registry is pretty cool to deal with too if you need serious questions answered.

•••
Single point of failure? /shudder

Another thing to keep in mind is, if you aren't planning on having an account directly through the .ai registry, you won't be able to have your custom whois info show up for your domain. In other words, say you keep or register your .ai domain at 101domain. Because they don't have a direct account, they actually manage all their .ai extensions through rgwusa.com, which means you will see a rgwusa.com email address in your whois for your .ai domain. Confusing? Yeah.

Anyboo, even with these caveats, my experience with .ai domains has always been good. 101domain takes care of transfers quickly and efficiently, and Vincent over at the registry is pretty cool to deal with too if you need serious questions answered.

Hmmm lol, you have raised some interesting points there..I didn't realise the RGWUSA issue... and I also overlooked the single point of failure issue! :xf.eek:

•••
.ai the unique domain can be inversted

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back