Dynadot

Afternic: BINs or Else!?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
A newcomer to domaining, regardless of the myriad stars next to my name (it’s a long story), I’m still feeling my way around this unique activity.

I continue to read that Afternic is a top-tier domain-seller, so l decided to load my 45 or so domain names (picked up at least half of them for a buck) onto Afternic’s site and everything went swimmingly—until l clicked on Continue after my domain-loading.

The next screen all but threatened me to list a Buy Now price for each domain. I realize BIN is the way most domain sellers prefer to have their customers sell domains.

And they make a compelling argument for BIN-Ning. However, as l’m just getting my feet wet in in selling domains, l am not at all qualified to come up with reasonable BIN prices.

Thus, l would much rather go the “Make Offer”
route. However, if l don’t go the BIN route, it appears my only option is to start with a Minimum Price. That would seem to work for me, except I’m not sure that once a Minimum Price is bid that the bidder can get the domain name for 20 bucks.

Can one of the many domain gurus on NP shed the light once again for me, please.

Much appreciated,

Lew

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't use Afternic currently, but I think you can proceed with Make Offer without the associated anxiety. Any sale would have to be negotiated. Don't be bashful about the minimum offer threshold, set it higher to avoid dealing with the lowballers.

Best of luck.

•••
Thanks very much for the input!

•••
Yes min price is not binding.

BUT if you fill in the Floor price field that is - you can get an email suddenly saying domain has sold at that price.

Apparently with low offers Afternic negotiate behind the scenes and don't tell you till they think the amount is serious. No, I have no way of knowing that directly, just what I've heard others say. But if you use Uniregistry it is more transparent - you see the whole broker communication with the client, very informative.

Nothing stops you listing on multiple platforms - many people on here do not like the Afternic landing pages, so list the names at Afternic but have them direct to another platform, such as Sedo or Undeveloped.

•••
Having a BIN make your domain sell faster, I have sold so far 5 domains this year via afternic (yet to get paid for one) 4 of them got sold as buyer clicked on BIN the other one sold at my "Floor Price".

•••
Thanks for letting me know this Interesting and perhaps mind-changing info.

•••
Having a BIN make your domain sell faster, I have sold so far 5 domains this year via afternic (yet to get paid for one) 4 of them got sold as buyer clicked on BIN the other one sold at my "Floor Price".
Is there any impact to the speed of having your domain sold if you set BIN and Floor differently? Does setting BIN, Minimum and Floor the same price sell fastest?

•••
If we set BIN & the domain name registered with Afternic Fast-Transfer participant register then we get our domain included in Premium Promotion network. It means an increased chance to get sold our names.

Not having bin simply don't get our name included in the Premium promotion network.

Screenshot_2019-02-21-16-53-14-703_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2019-02-21-16-53-41-650_com.android.chrome.png

•••
Is there any impact to the speed of having your domain sold if you set BIN and Floor differently? Does setting BIN, Minimum and Floor the same price sell fastest?

Good question, not so easy to answer - because in some contexts I think buyers are only seeing the BIN and only some of the time do they see they can make an offer, I think this depends on the platform and the path to Afternic. Seems logical that having only BIN would be faster unless it is too high.

How does a buyer hit or discover the Floor price? Presumably they have to be in communication with Afternic, either making offers that are too low until they go high enough, or just being told by Afternic what amount they have to pay to get the name. That could be a good deal closer - "If you buy today, it's only 4XXX not 5XXX2.

•••
Hi

I have sold some names thru fast transfer at sedo,
but as a safety precaution, I disabled it across all platforms, including Afternic.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back