IT.COM

Affiliate That Doesn't Need SSN?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
As a victim of identity theft in the past the last thing I want to do is put my SSN# in some online form. I seems all the big affiliate companies require it. Am I to believe they are going to pay half of my Social Security Tax like a real employer? Yeah right.

Isn't it my responsibility to post my earnings to the IRS!? Why do they require SSN#. I HATE THAT CRAP!

Are there any legit companies that don't require a SSN#?
Or should I not be a chicken and just fill it out?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If anyone pays you over $600 then they are required by law to report this payment to the IRS and to you on a 109(9)(8). Therefore, they must request your social security number.
If you are legitimately worried about ID theft, use Firefox on a direct connection (Not wireless/router) and you should have little/no worries if you're with a big company. Basically, Linkshare has thousands upon thousands of affiliates, and if someone hacked them well enough to get SS#'s, then the chances of their picking you to mess with is slim to none, IMHO.
As you are not an employee, they will not pay 1/2 your FICA/etc, but that is not the purpose of their requiring the SS#.
Just my .02.
-Allan

•••
Thanks Allen, I bit the bullet and signed up at LinkShare. Looks like fun.

Well at least if I set up some affiliates I can't make LESS from my sites, heh.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back