IT.COM

Advice needed re Vista

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hiya guys. My other half, in his infinite wisdom, decided it'd be a really good idea to go and register some Vista names, Vista being the new Microsoft operating system. Personally I think there's a big problem with them regarding TM, etc. Would like your thoughts though. (He's initially bought them to sell on again btw)

allthingsvista.com
downloadsforvista.com
v1sta.com
gadgetsforvista.com
learntousevista.com
and all the different versions in co.uk format.

I smell a c&d coming on but what do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I certainly smell a C&D coming. Better still you might get one from from both Microsoft and Vista :)

That being said other people here have apparently done quite well with vista names.

•••
So do I. Good luck with them. Also who would you sell those to. Also what would they use them for?

•••
a travel destination website could use that term quite nicely for it's domain name, without landing itself into ay kind of trouble. Vista is a really great word for such a purpose. but for the domains that you have registered, it seems pretty obvious that the names refer to Microsoft's new OS...

•••
One of the factors in WIPO cases involving TMs is the intent at the time of the registration.... the intent seems clear to me, but MS has to prove it. Some have potential to be a "fan site", a couple are just plain out squatting and typos, well, that's an easy one.

I would expect to get a nice letter or email.

•••
I personally don't see MS going after too many Vista names. Their TM is for "Windows Vista". I would think as long as you stear clear of blatant abuse such as a fan site that a C&D is unlikely. Those names aren't even that good. DownloadsforVista.com is ok though. I personally have a few good Vista names as well. I would suggest zero ads on it until we all figure out how well MS will protect the Vista name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back