Dynadot

question Adding ‘and’ between two word trademark

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TheFreedomChaser

Established Member
Impact
What are your thoughts on registering a two word domain that is trademarked, but adding ‘and’ in between the words. Both words are dictionary words, and I believe that occasionally internet users accidentally search for the ‘and’ variation too.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dictionary words can normally have multiple trademarks. Even Apple doesn't have an exclusive on the dictionary word Apple.

But from your comments, it sounds like you're trying to direct people to your website instead of their website by adding the word and. That isn't a good idea. For example, you couldn't get away with Apple And Computer .com.

Not a lawyer, not legal advice.

•••
I believe that occasionally internet users accidentally search for the ‘and’ variation too.

If you believe that consumers occasionally use "and" between the words when searching for the trademark owner, then you have pretty much defined "confusing similarity".

Last edited:
•••
It's all about intent. If your intent is to confuse consumers then you have a problem.

If the use of the mark is unrelated to a registered trademark then there's no issue.

•••
Thanks guys, I think this answers my question

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back