Dynadot

domains About that 10-Year Renewal Strategy for .COM Domains…

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
ksc-rising-dotCom-domain-prices.png

Amidst the back and forth mincing of dialogue concerning a private equity firm, Ethos Capital, purchasing the .org registry, ICANN and Verisign turn heads and make news headlines with its “pay to play” move to increase .com prices.

Domain investing blogs — DomainNameWire.com, DomainInvesting.com, TheDomains.com, OnlineDomain.com, RicksBlog.com, DNIncite.com, and many others — have long sounded the alarm about Verisign’s pure play for billions of dollars — $2 billion dollars based on back-of-napkin math — in profit, dating back to mid 2018 and earlier.

While old news to most domain industry professionals, Verisign’s latest bribe and ICANN’s abdication of price regulator to the U.S. government places domain investors dead center in the crosshairs of slight to complete elimination.

This ICANN and Verisign staged heist will wipe out a good percentage of domain investors while both laugh all the way to the bank.

What's your plan to financially prepare and protect your domain portfolio? Are you likely to renew .com domains for 10 years?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"places domain investors dead center in the crosshairs of slight to complete elimination."

What?

I could very well be in the minority on this and of course nobody likes price increases. But everything increases in price over time. I had no expectation that .com prices would never go up. Even at $10 it's still a very low barrier of entry, still a great deal. I don't understand how this would be "complete elimination."

What do you do? Be smart. Make good investments. Put the increase on price on the buyer if you want. Change where you sell domains. Some places charge some crazy amounts, 20%, 30%, higher etc. You can set it up where you pay nothing at some places.

It sucks but you roll with it.

•••
.Com price goes up 7% annually, every yr, thru 2024

assuming Verisign exercises their right to 7% increases..
By 2024
.com would still less than half .co today!

with 7% price hike applied, every year through 2024

2024 .com price still less than half .co today

Samer

Last edited:
•••
well, it's about more than just rising prices...

if you FUD and renew your domains 10 years to avoid the price hike... you're investing 10x more than you would've NOW rather than within the span of 10 years.

So the money tied up with those decade renewals could've been used with other investments / expenses.. and so on and so forth, etc. capici.

•••
I am going to boost this topic for a similar reason.

hit ratio - walk in ratio
Shops with cameras can work out walk in ratio to sales. We use our hit counters to do the same thing.
Without simply improving name quality could we improve our own ratios by renewing for years. I am not sure I would apply 10 years to every name but a long expiry sends a message. I recently acquired a name at register fee that broker was messaging me up till the day it was mine. I am sure could have saved loads of mistakes of my own with longer expiries.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back