Domain Empire

discuss About.com Rebrands to DotDash.com ...A Good Move?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Why would they do that? If you go to About.com you are redirected to the new name DotDash.com...

"About.com -- the 20-year-old general interest site with hundreds of thousands of articles about everything from "The right way to handwash clothes" to "What to do if you hate your in-laws" -- has a new mandate, and a new name to to go with it.

The New York-based, IAC-owned company, which actually began as MiningCo.com, is now "Dotdash," a nod to the company's history of having a "dot" in its previous names and logos, and a "dash" meant to represent what comes next, said CEO Neil Vogel. The dot and dash also represent the letter "A" in Morse code."

Source: http://adage.com/article/tech/a-dotdash/308884/

I have no idea why they would go from About.com to DotDash.com. What does everyone else think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd like to add from my experience as well but still using it as my primary business name and username here that the dot part when giving your email through phone is the major downside. But its working though I just have to put more emphasis on the d-o-t part.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back