Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jberryhill

Top Member
John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
Impact
IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

So, some idiot paid $800 for this domain name, made a custom banner to advertise it in specific association with the movie franchise, and thinks someone is going to pay $100k for it?

If this is something that strikes you as a good idea then, please, get out of domaining immediately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danjaq

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Duh.

If the registry wanted to sell them as premium names, there would be no reason to register the names and list them on Sedo.

The registry runs its own premium name program:

https://shortdot.bond/premium-domains/

So, duh, they could price these names as premiums and leave them unregistered (and thus not subject to a cybersquatting claim) if they wanted to avoid liability that comes with registering them and advertising them this way.

The registry has its own premium name pricing and sales channel. They don't register names and list them on Sedo. THEY. RUN. THE. REGISTRY.

Stop playing stupid. There are people who don't know any better, and being misled by folks like you is not helpful.

This is what they will do. They'd reserve it (as premium) and make 'James Bond' pay for it, if 'James Bond' wants it.

•••
It's a publicity stunt. They wanted to draw attention and they got it.

i think you give them far too much credit.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Isn't most advertising a publicity stunt in one way or another,

Have you seen some of the ads that are done by car insurance companies on TV where they compare some people to Rats and are encouraging others to exterminate them just because those so called Rats are bringing new ideas to the World that the status quo doesn't like.

IMO

My question is how did it get approved in the first place... what a waste of money.

•••
My question is how did it get approved in the first place... what a waste of money.

As I said there might have been some kind of an agreement or understating between all the parties involved, absent that I believe that it was a big mistake to run such ads (It appears that they have been stopped now).

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Have you seen some of the ads that are done by car insurance companies on TV where they compare some people to Rats and are encouraging others to exterminate them just because those so called Rats are bringing new ideas to the World that the status quo doesn't like.

IMO

On the subject of people doing wrong kinds of ads,

Well now those car insurance companies have moved from Rats to Ants by comparing the elderly among us to Ants and giving us the subliminal message that they are a nuisance and need to be exterminated too.

The problem is that these are not just some funny and harmless ads, they show how the status quo needs to resort to killing in order to preserve its power and protect its interest. And yes they do kill in so many ways and the people who follow them like sheep are knowingly or unknowingly taking part in all those killings too.

We have come to a major crossroads in the history of humanity, the question is are we willing and able to ascend to a higher level of thinking and existence and can we find common grounds over the Universal values and principals that are derived through logic and compassion or are we going to allow those who are benefiting from the status quo to brainwash us into being subservient to them and letting them use us as slaves to become even richer and more powerful and gain even more influence over our lives.

Perhaps we need to scrutinize the advertising industry a little more going forward. We can't allow a few people behind the scene to control us for their own benefit any longer.

IMO

•••
Show attachment 163550

Show attachment 163551

So, some idiot paid $800 for this domain name, made a custom banner to advertise it in specific association with the movie franchise, and thinks someone is going to pay $100k for it?

If this is something that strikes you as a good idea then, please, get out of domaining immediately.

Some people are called James Bond in real life. They are not fictional characters. It's a name.

And could be for an informational site about the real James Bond... Hollywood doesn't own his history.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47977220

Last edited:
•••
Easy win for Danjaq LLC. If they can force someone to change their incorporated company name then they will have no problem with forcing the owner of the name to give up the domain under trademark infringement. The banner says it all. Might be a bit harsh calling him an idiot though, he might just be new to the game and ignorant to the rules and risks.

Danjaq LLC v. James Bond Ltd[edit]
On 13 July 2009 Danjaq applied under s.69(1)(b) of the Companies Act 2006 for a change of name of James Bond Ltd, which had been registered since 12 June 2009. James Bond Ltd was ordered by the adjudicator at the Company Names Tribunal to change its name and to not register another company with an offending name. The respondent was also ordered to contribute toward Danjaq's costs.[9]

Last edited:
•••
Maybe offtopic, but this discussion got me wondering under what common legal conditions could a James Bond podcast operate on a Bond related domain? e.g. with explicit consent of the James Bond IP holder, or, as a not for profit fan site, etc...

Take Bond Jam for example...
I don't think they have a domain name. Just a YouTube/Spotify Channel from what I can see.

Legally, would the podcast creators be allowed to take on paid sponsorships, or youtube ads under a BondJam domain/brand discussing James Bond content (without the explicit consent of the James Bond IP holder)?

Does the answer vary depending on the TLD chosen by Bond Jam? e.g.

a) BondJam.com
b) BondJam.es
c) BondJam.Bond

Last edited:
•••
maybe if a tv show comes out under the same heading but i dont see it either, i mean the movies all had different names anyway. hmmmm.

•••
What are you talking about?

The domains are listed for sale at Sedo - there's no landing page about any imaginary James who works his 4 hour shifts at a bond biz in Miami.
Under that logic, we as domain investors would lose our domains much more

There is no reference to any existing TM's. None. Zero.

There is many legitimate uses as many has described in the posts here.

•••
It's pretty simple what the seller's intent is based upon. Is "James" middle name "007"?

Look at the ad banner:

Show attachment 163566

The ad text is "James.Bond & 007.Bond" in a leaning font which copies the presentation on movie posters, DVD sleeves, etc.. Additionally, the advertisement includes the partial image of a man wearing a formal suit, as is typical of the James Bond character.

One has to be a complete fool not to be able to determine that the sale is premised on the James Bond "007" character and rights in that character.

Don't play dumb.
Is the ad banner the registrant?

We must establish that first. Yes, the registry is using the advertisement as a TM violation, but the registrants intent is unknown.

There is a difference. You should know this.

Last edited:
•••
The link of the banner gives it away 👀

•••
Duh.

If the registry wanted to sell them as premium names, there would be no reason to register the names and list them on Sedo.

The registry runs its own premium name program:

https://shortdot.bond/premium-domains/

So, duh, they could price these names as premiums and leave them unregistered (and thus not subject to a cybersquatting claim) if they wanted to avoid liability that comes with registering them and advertising them this way.

The registry has its own premium name pricing and sales channel. They don't register names and list them on Sedo. THEY. RUN. THE. REGISTRY.

Stop playing stupid. There are people who don't know any better, and being misled by folks like you is not helpful.
Curious that the banner link url contains "shortdot"...

Last edited:
•••
James.Bond is a great name for only $800. By far the best in that extension, imo.

We have really lost our creativity and adventure when industry respected representatives call out domain purchases as "abject stupidity" and "idiot"....The industry reps are turning this place into a cesspool of negativity.

What about:

Bail.bond ?
insurance.bond ?
Junk.bond ?

•••
•••
@jberryhill , why did @Internet.Domains close his account, I wonder if the GoDaddy Cartel had anything to do with it.

It's bad enough that they intimidate and threaten people here on the forum, but they sent out some phony domain verification emails to a handful of people here (including me) and now they are messing with my Afternic and GoDaddy accounts.

That's what happens when some companies get too big for their own good, their employees start abusing the influence and control that they have over their customers while the high ups and the attorneys in the company just look the other way.

Well I hope this post gets their attention because if they stay on the same course then soon they'll have to face up to the consequences of their actions (or their inactions), of course by then it might be too late once everything is brought to the open.

IMO

•••
I'm still pretty sure these domains are owned by .bond themselves.

.bond doesn't have premium domain names so it seems. I'm not sure if ShortDot has their own premium sales venue. I can't find it. They wouldn't be the first registry to be selling premium names directly through a marketplace. This would be a nice way to be able to not have premium pricesd names and yet being able to sell for premium pricing.

On top of that, the registrant shows as ShortDot. Ever noticed the shutter reference in the .bond logo? Guess why they came up with that?

Finally, there's only one reason a banner like that would pass Namepros screening as appropriate advertising, and that would be if it's payed for by the registry, ShortDot.

I highly doubt NP would approve such a banner from a random domainer.

•••
Can't follow this post at all.

People sometimes close their accounts because of pouting/attention seeking. It worked because you just mentioned it. He'll be back later, this isn't the first time.

What is this GoDaddy cartel stuff? Employees abusing influence/control?

The domain verification emails, if you're talking about what's being talked about in another thread, I got those too. I just saw it as a technical glitch, nothing more.

There is a well known history of abuse and bullying here on the forum by the almost 1500 GoDaddy employees and those who are somehow affiliated with the company, but I draw the line when they start messing with my domains and accounts at GoDaddy or Afternic every time I make a comment on the forum that they don't like, as I said if the higher ups and their attorneys continue looking the other way and ignore this situation then I will make things more clear about my experience with them, I rather have friends than enemies so I am giving them a chance to bring this situation under control before I take any further actions (That's all I am going to say about this until I see whether they are going to correct this situation or not).

IMO

Last edited:
•••
what does that even have to do with this thread? It's just like you threw that in there out of the blue.

It made me upset that @Internt.Domains was insulted and attacked by the same Cartel to the point that he had to close his account.

As to what I am talking about, I will give more details of how they have been messing around with my GoDaddy and Afternic accounts if things don't change for the better.

So back to the original topic of the thread.

Let's not pass any judgments about this case before all the facts are known, and more importantly let's keep the conversations on the professional, constructive, and respectful side.

IMO

•••
As to what I am talking about, I will give more details of how they have been messing around with my GoDaddy and Afternic accounts if things don't change for the better.

I have heard people making these accusations before. Never have seen any proof of that.

I'm not a GoDaddy fan but those are some serious allegations that would need some backing up to be taken seriously.

•••
I don’t know why someone would try to pay that much but I’m glad they did. I have 0007bond.com and it’s for sale. I only bought it because of an inside joke for a friend who was getting married and we made a bond in college that was not a great idea.

I’ve since changed my views on many things. Like marriage. It’s a great institution for those who like institutions

Show attachment 163550

Show attachment 163551

•••
Many trademark names have been sold. Owner might not get $100k for it but everyone's a winner as long as the reg costs are covered and the interested trademark owner gets the name.

•••
So the real question is, is ShortDot cybersquatting?

It's a First Name domain on an extension that turns it to a hack! 😂 Nothing special about it, and the purported trademark owner might not be interested in it anyway.

Last edited:
•••
It's a publicity stunt. They wanted to draw attention and they got it.

Isn't most advertising a publicity stunt in one way or another,

IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back