Dynadot

A very poor response?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The forum that considers it is the top domain forum on the net has taken the huge backward step of banning the sales of all IDN.

Not just the crap we have seen but all IDN,the reason seems to be that the mods did not have sufficient knowedge to determine what was genuine and what was fake and would not accept advice.

So instead of appointing somebody who did have the knowledge to deal with IDN they decide to stop all sales of what will be a large part of the internet's domain real estate in the not too distant future.

A very weird decision and a great opportunity for NP's to step up perhaps?

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
a very bad step indeed , :(
IDNs have a future, *(a huge presence at present too)
maybe a different media for its discussion?

•••
I think there's more to the story. IDNs should have a place in every domain forum, and for one of the biggest forums to ban it completely seems out of place. I wonder what the real reason is.

•••
I think there's more to the story. IDNs should have a place in every domain forum, and for one of the biggest forums to ban it completely seems out of place. I wonder what the real reason is.

There was one guy,French, posting all sorts of garbage for sale on the IDN section and in the "Exclusive" section.When comments were made on the status of the rubbish they were immediately removed by the mods.The mods were also advised by pm from different sources of the "crap" names,also ignored.

A warning thread to advise members not to get caught was also deleted by the same mods.

I can only guess that the easy get out solution was to simply ban all sales of IDN instead of finding a mod(s) who actually knew what they were dealing with.

See my blog for more info.

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately,
idns r having the same fate as .mobi.

•••
Can't say I'd agree with that sanfran. How did you come by that train of thought?

•••
wot says he's been collecting idns for so many years,
and couldn't sell even one damn domain.
And he's not the only one.
People sell top idn names for babkis

•••
So instead of appointing somebody who did have the knowledge to deal with IDN they decide to stop all sales of what will be a large part of the internet's domain real estate in the not too distant future.

If you could reduce your work load at the risk of pissing off a fraction of domainers who invest in IDN, would you do it?

They did the same when they closed down the Political/Controversial section, you had 2 particular mods who were completely inept in moderating the section, A very heated forum that could of been kept in check if only they had moderation that enforced it's own rules and didn't play favorites.... But that would require time and effort, so they take the easy way out and close it.

It's all about taking the easy way out, but in doing so you alienate members and decrease activity.... Bad for DNF, Good for NP and other competing forums.

•••
•••
•••
If you could reduce your work load at the risk of pissing off a fraction of domainers who invest in IDN, would you do it?

They did the same when they closed down the Political/Controversial section, you had 2 particular mods who were completely inept in moderating the section, A very heated forum that could of been kept in check if only they had moderation that enforced it's own rules and didn't play favorites.... But that would require time and effort, so they take the easy way out and close it.

It's all about taking the easy way out, but in doing so you alienate members and decrease activity.... Bad for DNF, Good for NP and other competing forums.

I fail to see how anything here points towards a positive for NP or a negative to DNF.

The customer is not always right.

•••
A very weird decision and a great opportunity for NP's to step up perhaps?

What do you think?
IDN investors will go where they go. Theres nothing NP can do more.. A free domain oriented forum?

A forum should simply abstain from the discussion...As long as it 100% clear a domain is IDN and what that is?

Its all buyer beware.

•••
IDN domains in german language sell very well here in Germany, but thats because we have these letters which belong to the language.
"ü , ö , ä" (non IDN version would be ue , oe , ae)

I hate the other IDN names which don't belong to the language of the domain. Misleading crap.

•••
"I hate the other IDN names which don't belong to the language of the domain. Misleading crap. "

That could be -part- of the reason for closing that part of the forum and for IDNs not doing well in general. stuff like pöker.com ect.

•••
wot says he's been collecting idns for so many years,
and couldn't sell even one damn domain.
And he's not the only one.
People sell top idn names for babkis

Where did I say that?

I have sold many IDN.

Your post needs to be edited or better,deleted as completely untrue.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

"I hate the other IDN names which don't belong to the language of the domain. Misleading crap. "

That could be -part- of the reason for closing that part of the forum and for IDNs not doing well in general. stuff like pöker.com ect.

I agree with Raider Girl here, apathy and lack of knowledge and they copped out with the easy way out.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Raider Girl here, apathy and lack of knowledge and they copped out with the easy way out.

NP is free. If the other place charges for admission and it was a key resource for you then it seems you've been short changed.

•••
Good point. Some people might have paid for membership there mainly because of IDN (even if it is a small group), and if they cancel that option alltogether and keep your money, then this is at least very questionable.

•••

Those mixed script IDNs should have not been allowed. DNF should have allowed comments in IDN sales threads and banned the rogue sellers. This would have helped the overall IDN community and sent a message to these guys trying to scam the community.

And regardng you comment....IDNs "are not doing well in general" the facts take exception to that. In fact, they are doing better than ever because the path forward is finally CRYSTAL CLEAR! And idn.idn implementation is moving forward, albeit at a slow pace.

People that bash IDNs usually don't understand them or their purpose. They are intended for for people that DON'T speak English to make it easier for them to use and navigate the internet in their native language. Its really that simple. :) Stats say 75% of the world doesn't speak English, so why would those "customers" not favor local language domains in thier own native language?

In that regard, over $100 million has been spent between ICANN and the dozens of local ccTLD registrars to prepare for IDN implementation. The resources and commitment is there, it's just a matter of time mostly for the .gtld politics to get sorted out so .com and .net can alias to Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Hebrew, Thai etc. Might be it takes another 3- 5 years for the market to start to mature, but once IDN.IDN is implemented and the critical email support IDNs is completed (by the way, some good news on the idn email front this week). Currently the IDN Program is caught up in the gTLD politics, as the ".anything" gTLD gang tied their wagon to the idn.idn program and have hamstrung its progress over the last 2 years.

On sales, IDN resales of true quality names are indeed few and far between. Most simply don't want to sell unless they can get a big price, most see the traffic and know it will only grow exponentially. The true "A" list stuff that has sold has gone for big bucks and most happens behind a non-disclosure.

Fact is, most people are still not selling unless its stuff that gets no traffic, or they are downsizing their portfolios and casting off their "D list" domains, or secondary smaller languages. There is an impressive list of sales at IDNTools.com, but that is only a small percentage of what has been sold. I miss the 2006 "selling spree" by native Russian, Chinese and Japanese flippers who knew the language to cull out some great names and slang terms etc. and were looking to flip names for a quick buck. That was an exciting time and a lot of great IDN deals were had.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back