Dynadot

advice A little sales inspiration from lowball to sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
a lot of threads about lowball offers that don't want to spend any money. I was able to turn one into an X,XXX sale today.

Inquiry came in with low XXX offer. I responded with my full asking price. They emailed back the usual about not being anywhere close to budget but thanks anyway.

I replied and asked if a payment plan could help them increase their budget. They replied back asking for details and I gave them a 12 month plan with each payment being the amount they offered.

They accepted and I received the first payment and pointed the name servers over. Full ownership won't transfer until paid in full.

Don't give up on a potential sale too quickly or blow people off with a low starting offer. Sometimes you can get the deal done.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
That is a great idea! My only concern is a charge back. What if after the 12 months you are paid in full, transfer the domain then the buyer decides to dispute the charges? I know some credit card companies only allow you to go as far back as six months but there is still a lot of risk involved. How would you protect yourself from that?

It would be difficult for a buyer to dispute 12 monthly payments set up as a subscription with all the email correspondence as back up. There is always risk involved, and on a domain where I had a large sum invested, I'd probably not do things this way.

But when you can turn a low XX investment into XXXX, there is little downside and the reward is worth it IMHO. Again, I research the buyer first - if it seems shady don't do it, but a lot of my inquiries are from people I can easily look up on LinkedIn or google.

Like me, most of them have regular executive/management day jobs and have projects or hobbies on the side. The kind of people that aren't going to risk their reputation to scam low-mid 4 figures. Most of my buyers do the same due diligence and come to the same conclusion about me. It is a risky proposition for them too.

Another piece of advice for domainers is to have an easily found and professional profile online - people are scared to buy sometimes, and pointing them to a source where they can see you are a real person has helped me close deals. It makes them more comfortable when they realize that it would be ridiculous for me to spend my time trying to scam someone for the amount of money involved.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back