NameSilo

advice A little advice, please

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Criterion811

CardanoExchange.com - For Sale, PMs WelcomeEstablished Member
Impact
Would any veteran domainers tell me if there's anything wrong with my strategy, I don't want a huge fortune from my handregs, I come up with decent dot com names (I think), register them for the going rate, then if I make say, £50 on them after fees, that is fine with me. It's not my only income and I don't want to be ruled by it, is there any major flaw with this strategy? I do as in OP's post, I make geographical names related to business. For example, I have londonstudentlets dot com., mymarketplacenyc dot com etc... Not hugely valuable but relevant, and cost peanuts. Any advice appreciated. Researched for a while, been buying for a week. Cheers everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Would any veteran domainers tell me if there's anything wrong with my strategy, I don't want a huge fortune from my handregs, I come up with decent dot com names (I think), register them for the going rate, then if I make say, £50 on them after fees, that is fine with me. It's not my only income and I don't want to be ruled by it, is there any major flaw with this strategy? I do as in OP's post, I make geographical names related to business. For example, I have londonstudentlets dot com., mymarketplacenyc dot com etc... Not hugely valuable but relevant, and cost peanuts. Any advice appreciated. Researched for a while, been buying for a week. Cheers everyone

Here's the problem with your strategy as I see it...
1) A newbie would be very lucky to sell even 1% of their hand-reg domain portfolio per year...
2) Assume, for example, you own 100 domains which cost you approximately $900 USD to register for the first year.
3) And assume super-unrealistically that you sell 10% of your total portfolio at $50 USD per name (e.g. 10 x $50) -- you only make $500. Thus, $900 - $500 = a $400 loss your first year. (And no compensation at all for your time/effort)
4) And we're not even getting to the costs of renewals after the first year...

Bottom line, IMHO attempting to quick flip super-low-value hand-reg domains is a strategy with a low probability of success ... this is why you want to understand the "quality over quantity" proposition. (e.g. It's better to own one quality domain worth $1000-500 than 100 hand-reg low-value names... Also, you only have one renewal to pay for...:xf.grin:) Thus, you want to initially concentrate on drops/aftermarket and stay away from hand-regs until you really learn the biz... Again, all the above is JMHO...

GL with your domain investments!

Last edited:
•••
Thanks namesbond, hadn't thought of it that way. Good advice :)

•••
Thanks namesbond, hadn't thought of it that way. Good advice :)

One other thought, whatever niche you decide to specialize in (e.g. Geo+Business), you really want to research carefully what sells in that niche. For example, if you look up the word combination "studentlets" on Namebio, you will see only one other exact-match sale for "studentlets.com" - ( No sales for ParisStudentLets/NYStudentLets/etc. (Thus the word-combo is likely a low-probability for sale.) When just starting out, if you're going to hand-reg, you may want to stick strictly to categories with a robust sales history. (25-30 sales or more.) So, for example, you might want to explore "Geo+dentist" (e.g. NYdentist.com) - There are a ton of sales in this area. This said, it may be near-impossible to hang-reg a name in the Geo-dentist vertical, but this is a good thing - As a beginner low availability will: (a) prevent you from hand-regging garbage; AND (b) force you out into the drops/aftermarket where you are much more likely to acquire a quality name.

(All of the above by way of saying that most newbies hand-register crap their first year and end up dropping almost all of their names - We've all been through it... it's much better to just learn and pick up a handful of quality domains... JMHO... 'Nuff said...:stop:)

Last edited:
•••
Brilliant advice, many thanks! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back