Dynadot

A hard lesson learned

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
About 9 months ago I hand reged internationalbusinesscorporation.com
After 3 months I sold it here for $250 after not receiving any offers for 3 months Estibot apraised it then for $200 or so
Now I seen on DN Journal it sold on Sedo for $3500 and now Estibot appriases it for $3600
Of course I should have held on to it.

I now have 10 domains that Estibot appraises on average for $20,000 each and yet I have had no offers of a $1000 or so
Thought Id share my experience with you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First thing, and most importantly, don't rely too much on the "appraisals" from Estibot ... secondly, it is a VERY very long domain name; who purchased it from you here for $250 (and assuming they were also the most recent seller, WHO reportedly purchased it for $3,500)? :gl:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
talk to the CamRoulette.com guy ... he can tell you story about s A hard lesson learned ,

just shows you that in this field you can never know ...
you sold it in a decent reseller price with a great ROI , and the lucky buyer had a great end user sale .

Last edited:
•••
After 3 months I sold it here for $250 after not receiving any offers for 3 months Estibot apraised it then for $200 or so
Now I seen on DN Journal it sold on Sedo for $3500 and now Estibot appriases it for $3600

I now have 10 domains that Estibot appraises on average for $20,000 each and yet I have had no offers of a $1000 or so

Important to note that you just had it 'sitting there for sale', and the person who bought it from you might have used an aggressive plan to approach end users for it. They may have done a lot of legwork first and then finished the transaction through Sedo. A name can sit for years on sale platforms like Sedo or Afternic, or if you're good at contacting dozens of end users for a domain name, it might sell in only a day or a week.

•••
Idd honestly be happy that it sold, as people have said here a name could sit for years if you don't do the leg work to go to the end user, or maybe your just not that lucky at the time. What goes around comes around, most people wont make a penny of the domain business at least you have made something :)

•••
That is why I tell people on the boards I'm not obligated to sell a name for every offer that comes along, whether or not it's a return on my investment. If you sincerely think a name is worth more, it's worth holding onto and putting in the effort to find an end user sale.

However, I wouldn't beat yourself up - you did what you thought was right at the time, and you were able to get a return on your investment. Perhaps the people you sold it to can even offer you some pointers. I think it's everyone's worst fear (at least it's mine) to wake up and see a sale in DNJournal for 500% what you sold it for, but it's probably just a matter of that second person having different contacts and using different methods to move the name.

Thanks for sharing, that takes guts. Like Alex P said, at least you made some money off the deal. :)

•••
yes i do think the comment about the work by the new owner is a good one, as we all know just owning a name does not mean it will sell, good news is that you did actually make a sale , many don't

•••
Yeah I think it's fine enough that you were able to receive decent ROI and kept the money-ball rolling. Think about it, even if you held on to the domain for a year or so but didn't manage to pull the same efforts to reach that end-user (who might not be even in your network and I believe every domainer would have a different style and amount of effort put in), you might not be able to pull the same thing and sell it at that.

I can imagine how it sucks to see somebody sell it for like more than 12x what you sold it but yeah... cheer up! :D It'd suck more if you just let it drop like earlier this year and you see it sell at that LOL. I'd be like zzZZZOMFGWTFBBQPWND if that was the case =))

•••

its a sickener, its happened to me also with a .co.uk domain i sold on eBay.

praise yourself in knowing your instinct was right for the domain at the time, so you'll be right again in the future with other domains.

:imho:

•••
The value is always in the eye of the buyer. Unless you, as the seller, can successfully cause them to adopt your valuation.

•••
That's not a hard lesson learned - you made a good sale for a rather horrible name, in my opinion.

you had a good margin for a short time held. that's good.

you're kicking yourself each time someone after you who bought it sells higher...ridiculous

As for appraisals...F them.
The right price is whatever the buyer and seller can agree at.

•••
Ya you got a decent roi atleast...

•••
maybe that forum has resources that would make that name a star. You can't assume every name will multiply in sales demand like the math on another one.

•••
I wouldn't feel too bad either. I wouldn't fell great about it, but don't we all have deals (or at least want deals) that go the other way around? You buy a name for $250 and sell it for $3500. That happens too. Should we feel sorry for the guy we bought it from?

I have knowingly sold names to people who I knew would flip the names for double. Maybe I'm too lazy to call up the end-user myself and make the sale.

On the other hand, maybe the middle man has already sold to the end-user and established a relationship. Maybe if you called up the same person who paid $3500, he might just offer you $500. He might not even respond at all, as he doesn't know who you are.

There's no telling what else was involved. And even if the middleman did just flip it without much effort, so what? Somebody has to make the big margin to make this game work. It can't always be just you (though you did sell a domain for 25 times what you paid for it).

Just keep making deals so you don't have to sweat stuff like this (and this stuff will happen all the time).

•••
Your foresight told you the domain was just worth $250.

But hindsight is now saying someone else paid $3,500 for it.

No hard lessons there. Because if people would just try to jack-up their foresights, probably nearly everyone would be demanding 50 grand on their domains upfront. Everytime i see expiring auctions in Godaddy, i'm always baffled people are asking astronomical sums of money for (what i think) were crazy domains. Only shows people try to value things differently.

Sometimes it's a lesson. But oftentimes, it's pure luck.

•••
Please don't beat yourself up over this. I'd be upset for a little while, of course. But let it go, learn from it, and remember everything is relative. Just think how you'd feel if it had sold for $150,000!

Check out this true story:

CamRoulette.com: Understanding Domain Sales Regret

"One domainer got an early lesson of sales regret. He sold CamRoulette.com to Adam Strong for $1,400, only to see Strong turn around and sell the domain for $150,000 shortly thereafter." (Source: "CamRoulette.com: Understanding Domain Sales Regret" at DomainNameWire.com)

Also, check out Hyphen's posts starting at #5 at CamRoulette.com sells for $151,000

Let it go! Let it go! Let it go!

Best of luck! :)

•••
Please don't beat yourself up over this. I'd be upset for a little while, of course. But let it go, learn from it, and remember everything is relative. Just think how you'd feel if it had sold for $150,000!

Check out this true story:

CamRoulette.com: Understanding Domain Sales Regret

"One domainer got an early lesson of sales regret. He sold CamRoulette.com to Adam Strong for $1,400, only to see Strong turn around and sell the domain for $150,000 shortly thereafter." (Source: "CamRoulette.com: Understanding Domain Sales Regret" at DomainNameWire.com)

Also, check out Hyphen's posts starting at #5 at CamRoulette.com sells for $151,000

Let it go! Let it go! Let it go!

Best of luck! :)

What was the end result with this name, the seller had promised it to someone else and renegged on the deal , when i last heard of this name the original buyer was suing the seller for About $140,000 because that's how much he missed out on when the second buyer sold it for that massive profit

•••
one sale is just one sample. don't buy based on one sample, buy your domains based on probability.

•••

We can not rely on any ones appraisal. It worths for the guy who need it. It is a good lesson any way. Domainers should remind always, it is not a broiler chicken business. :lol:

•••

This would be hard on me too. It sucks to see someone turn around and flip for that much more. Such is the power of the arbitrary world of domains.

I'd like to put in a word of advice: put 99% less emphasis on auto-appraisals.

Somebody a few months ago posted on here that they sold some God awful .tv that I wouldn't even have taken the time to spit on for $9,000+. I learned a lot about selling domains from that post.

•••
It's not a hard lesson - it's domaining :)

Had similar situations many times.

For example purchased here the name for $149, mailed really many endusers with zero result and than forgot to renew it. Didn't want to pay for recover. It was picked by one of the members here and sold few weeks ago for $1000 to enduser :)

Or another one: sold the name at Sedo for 2K - and in a week it was resold for around 8K :)

Good luck to you in your sales!

Last edited:
•••
This would be hard on me too. It sucks to see someone turn around and flip for that much more. Such is the power of the arbitrary world of domains.

I'd like to put in a word of advice: put 99% less emphasis on auto-appraisals.

Somebody a few months ago posted on here that they sold some God awful .tv that I wouldn't even have taken the time to spit on for $9,000+. I learned a lot about selling domains from that post.

I'd like a link to that thread.

•••
I'd like a link to that thread.

Maybe someone will remember it. The domain sold for $9,000 - $10,000. It was a .tv and it was long and sold to a very specific niche end user. It may have even been a hyphen, I'm not sure.

Several people said they wouldn't have paid reg fee on it.

I can't for the life of me remember it. I'm sure someone remembers.

•••
Maybe someone will remember it. The domain sold for $9,000 - $10,000. It was a .tv and it was long and sold to a very specific niche end user. It may have even been a hyphen, I'm not sure.

Several people said they wouldn't have paid reg fee on it.

I can't for the life of me remember it. I'm sure someone remembers.

Lots of hype and either fake or incomplete reported "End user sales" with the struggling ccTLD .TV extension ... I wouldn't use any of this posted information here in this context for realistic lessons learned and/or meaningful insight IMHO. :guilty:

Best,
Jeff B-)

•••
Lots of hype and either fake or incomplete reported "End user sales" with the struggling ccTLD .TV extension ... I wouldn't use any of this posted information here in this context for realistic lessons learned and/or meaningful insight IMHO. :guilty:

Best,
Jeff B-)

Yeah, could have been fake. But I'm sure there have been plenty of true stories just like it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back