Dynadot

advice 60 Day lock?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

coco77

Top Member
Impact
Hey guys/girls,

Is there a 60 day lock on most registrars? Cause I have some domains I really believe I can sell for profit over the last 3-4 weeks that I won't develop , but not sure if I should wait at least the 60 days before advertising it for sale?

Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes.

This is the policy of ICANN and all registrars must follow this.

•••
You can still sell your domains, but your buyer will have to get an account at the same registrar where the domain is regged and then you just "push" or transfer the domain from your account to theirs.

After 60 days you can just give your buyer the auth code and they can then transfer out if they want.

•••
Awesome thank you for your advice @Cdomains

•••
•••
NOT must.
They MAY lock for 60 days accordingly to ICANN IRTP (effective since Dec'2016).
Also Registry itself MAY lock accordingly to its Agreement with ICANN.

Last edited:
•••
NOT must.
They MAY lock for 60 days accordingly to ICANN IRTP (effective since Dec'2016).
Also Registry itself MAY lock accordingly to its Agreement with ICANN.

As far as I know, all registrars do follow this rule.

I have never seen one that doesn't.

Have you?

Last edited:
•••
It is NOT a requirement by ICANN.
Just OPTION for registrars and registries.

For example, as of now Verisign (.com/.net) and Neustar (.biz) don't lock the domain during 60 days after previous transfer.
Only Afilias (.PRO/.org/.info) does it.

Last edited:
•••
It is NOT a requirement by ICANN.
Just OPTION for registrars and registries.

For example, as of now Verisign (.com/.net) and Neustar (.biz) don't lock the domain during 60 days after previous transfer.
Only Afilias (.org/.info) does it.

Are you referring to the new rule from the end of last year where registrars are allowed to let you "opt out" if you change the whois info.

•••
No, I'm referring to classical Transfer Lock.

WHOIS changes - it is another type of lock.

•••
•••
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2012-02-25-en

must.JPG

•••
It is their outdated FAQ.
In their IRTP (official Transfer Policy) and in Agreements with Registries - MAY is stated de jure.

•••
It is their outdated FAQ.
In their IRTP (official Transfer Policy) and in Agreements with Registries - MAY is stated de jure.

Thanks, I didn't know this.

They should update the FAQ page.

Still, I think most registrars follow this anyway.

I have never been able to transfer out before 60 days.

Have you?

•••
Yes, if initial regs - they are still locked by major registries...
But a new transfer after previous transfer is already possible for .com/.net/.biz even before 60 days.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just wanted to add to the conversation that GoDaddy are definitely adhering to this.

I'm a domaining newbie and I bought and quickly sold a domain on GD auctions, a week or 2 after buying for reg-fee I sold at auction via GD for £200.

Godaddy were completely useless and initially said that I could just 'unlock' the domain at 1&1 (who I had registered with) and then send the auth code to the buyer. 2 weeks later I called GD and they said that this wasn't possible due to domain lock. A week later I pressed them for an update and they said that the only thing they can do now (since the buyer has not responded, despite depositing the funds for purchase with GD and GD holding the funds) is to wait for the 60 day lock to expire and the domain will automatically transfer to the buyer (still not sure how this will happen, but all I can do now is wait)

Sounds like there is still some confusion with registrars/auction providers but the bottom line is they have to stick to the 60 day lock.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back