IT.COM

advice 60 day hold rule? How to sell a domain right after registering it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey all,

I have had domains for over 20 years and have never sold a domain. Recently I've decided to sell some domains and even picked up a bunch more via Squadhelp, Sedo, Dan, etc...

My question is, if I just registered a bunch of domains on Porkbun or NameSilo, do I list them immediately on Squadhelp, Sedo, Dan or do I have to wait 60 days first before listing them?

Also, how would you guys safely and securely sell a domain that you just registered?

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you can list them everywhere and sell them, but you can pass the ownership to the buyer only by push, not by transfer

•••
You can list them and hopefully sell them
Once you sell a domain under the 60 days lock , the buyer simply must create an account on namesilo or porkbun
( where the domain is locked) and you can push it there internally

•••
Thank for your help. I understand the push part but how do you do escrow? Usually escrow wants you to send the domain over to escrow before they transfer money to you.

How is escrow handled when it’s pushed?

•••
Some registrars give you an option of opting out of 60 day lock period like Dynadot. You can choose them.

Thank for your help. I understand the push part but how do you do escrow? Usually escrow wants you to send the domain over to escrow before they transfer money to you.

You can use Escrow services like DAN.com. In such a case the domain is "pushed" to the escrows account and then "pushed" to the buyers account.

•••

I had this happen with Dan.com once, like @Parmeet said... they have there own godaddy, dynadot, namecheap, etc accounts... So same thing, you push it there account, once they get the name they push it to the new owners account.

Last edited:
•••
I had this happen with Dan.com once, like @Parmeet said... they have there own godaddy, dynadot, namecheap, etc accounts... So same thing, you push it there account, once they get the name they push it to the new owners account.
So, buyer sends money to Dan's escrow service? Or you work out payment somewhere else?

•••
So, buyer sends money to Dan's escrow service? Or you work out payment somewhere else?
Correct, buyer sends money to dan, when dan receives money then the seller pushes to dan's registrar account, once dan receives the domain, they will push to buyers account and pay seller.

•••
But if the domain name was registered at Porkbun last week, I cannot do this on Dan for 60 days. I thought that's the rule. Sorry if I'm missing something here.

•••
The rule is a registrar lock, not an account transfer lock... so you can push the domain to an account at the same registrar (ex namecheap to namecheap), but it cant be transferred away from that registrar (ex namecheap to dynadot) in that period.

Last edited:
•••
if I just registered a bunch of domains on Porkbun or NameSilo, do I list them immediately on Squadhelp, Sedo, Dan or do I have to wait 60 days first before listing them?
Newly registered names can be listed, but if they sell, either you will have to wait for the 60 days to do the transfer and then get paid, or the marketplace is able to convince the buyer to accept a push to an account at the registrar where you hold the name.

Also, how would you guys safely and securely sell a domain that you just registered?
The most secure and fast/assured way to sell during the first 60 days is to sell through the registrar marketplace. For example, both Porkbun and NameSilo that you list in your original message have marketplaces were you can easily and for free list the domain name for sale and with a for-sale lander provided by the marketplace. If someone buys the domain name they will transfer it from your account to their account at the same registrar, so no need to wait for the 60 day. Also, as long as payment is successful, the buyer is sure they will get the domain name since they are buying it at the registrar where the name is registered, and the transfer is automatically done by the registrar. Payout terms, and commissions, vary between registrars, so check this information. Most, not all, of the registrars popular among NamePros members do have a marketplace with landers. Some even allow monthly payment purchases. Usually you can select buy now, make offer, or a combination. At NameSilo you can also use the auction option if you prefer.

-Bob

•••
Newly registered names can be listed, but if they sell, either you will have to wait for the 60 days to do the transfer and then get paid, or the marketplace is able to convince the buyer to accept a push to an account at the registrar where you hold the name.

The most secure and fast/assured way to sell during the first 60 days is to sell through the registrar marketplace. For example, both Porkbun and NameSilo that you list in your original message have marketplaces were you can easily and for free list the domain name for sale and with a for-sale lander provided by the marketplace. If someone buys the domain name they will transfer it from your account to their account at the same registrar, so no need to wait for the 60 day. Also, as long as payment is successful, the buyer is sure they will get the domain name since they are buying it at the registrar where the name is registered, and the transfer is automatically done by the registrar. Payout terms, and commissions, vary between registrars, so check this information. Most, not all, of the registrars popular among NamePros members do have a marketplace with landers. Some even allow monthly payment purchases. Usually you can select buy now, make offer, or a combination. At NameSilo you can also use the auction option if you prefer.

-Bob
Amazing. Thank you, Bob! I had listed a bunch of domains on Sedo and Squadhelp and forgot about the 60 day rule since it was my first time using these platforms. I have had a bunch of clicks but no sales yet, but knowing that Porkbun and Namesilo have their own marketplaces, I guess I will go that route with my newer domains until the 60 days are up.

I appreciate the help everyone!

•••
I had listed a bunch of domains on Sedo and Squadhelp and forgot about the 60 day rule since it was my first time using these platforms.
To be honest, I would not be very worried. If you work out, using any likely sell-through rate, the odds of the name selling within 60 days will be very low. Most platforms try to encourage the buyer to either wait for the name or set up an account at the registrar and accept a push.

At SH you will get a quite a few views, and even a fair number of short lists, but does not mean the name is about to sell, unfortunately.

Best wishes in getting some sales, and if they happen within the lock period, I hope the marketplace can work it out.

-Bob

•••
Thanks again, Bob. I guess thinking that some of my domains will sell immediately after listing on SQ or Sedo is wishful thinking. I think I've had my domains on there past 60 days already and no offers on any of the 30 or so domains I have on there. I have a bunch of views on my Sedo listings but not many clicks on the offer page as well, even after I promoted about 4 of my names there. No bids or offers yet.

Hopefully I can get my first sale ever- soon. Thanks again!

•••
Some registrars give you an option of opting out of 60 day lock period like Dynadot. You can choose them.
Zjrgq8Tw75ZoseRmUY0tDYSn1DN4te1Rm1jhEutd5yc.png

No registrar can override the 60 day lock for new registrations. You are confusing a change in registrant 60 day lock (which can be overridden) with a new registration 60 day lock. Every few months someone comes here and claims Dynadot or NameCheap lets you opt out of the 60 day new registration lock.

•••
Which factors do you guys consider while buying a new domain in 2024? I mean what are the dos and don'ts while buying a new domain as per demand and your experience? For example 4 Characters, numericals, CVCV, etc.

•••
Hey all,

I have had domains for over 20 years and have never sold a domain. Recently I've decided to sell some domains and even picked up a bunch more via Squadhelp, Sedo, Dan, etc...

My question is, if I just registered a bunch of domains on Porkbun or NameSilo, do I list them immediately on Squadhelp, Sedo, Dan or do I have to wait 60 days first before listing them?

Thank you!
You can list them in the 1st day after registration. After sale marketplace can push your domain to the same registrar to the buyer if he have account there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back