Domain Empire

5 Reasons why an End User may not be buying your domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
There can be many reasons why a prospect chooses not to buy what seems like a sure match.

1) Living inside the domaining bubble

Those who reside outside the domain industry do not have as much interest or passion about domains as you do. For many it is not the greatest thing they could do for their business, it is more a basic utility for them to be found on the net.

2) Difference of opinion on quality

Sometimes you think a name is of far greater quality than the prospect does. Yes, if you own the non hyphenated version it is of higher quality than the hyphenated version currently in use. The prospect may think that is worth $100 while you feel it is worth $5,000.

3) Some see you as a squatter

No matter how good a generic, non tm infringing domain may actually be, some see you as a squatter, pirate, parasite and they will never buy the domain for anything other than the cost of registration fee.

4) Email communications are not connecting

You need to know who to contact when you do email marketing to try to sell your domain names. Some just send an email to [email protected] and wait for a reply.

5) The Pitch

You may get the email to the correct person but your pitch is no good or not striking the right chord. You need to make sure you test different email templates.

Source

Anything else that you would like to add to the list??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anything else that you would like to add to the list??

Some good info above, I would like to add to that list that 3/4 of all buyers are not ready to buy when you email them. They might be having a bad day, tight on money, fight with the wife, personal problems etc there could be a 100 reasons.

Asking again a few months later has brought me many sales, unless they categorically tell you they are not interested.

•••
Some say the quality of the domain can speak for itself, thus not needing a pitch. Is this a myth?

•••
Some say the quality of the domain can speak for itself, thus not needing a pitch. Is this a myth?
I absolutely agree. All names have different level of difficulty to sell. Some are super easy sells, some are not.

•••
I dont like this article. Its depressing. I like the blogger.
This article ends up telling us alot of things we already know, but aren't always domainers' fault. Next!

•••

Yeah this is definitely true. The problem is that quality is subjective, much like beauty. You know the old saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder :)) When it comes to end users, I guess the same thing kinda applies to quality, what we may see as quality may not always be seen the same way by an end user. They couldn't really care about 90% of the information we check as domainers to determine quality.. ..lol.

•••
Another thing to add, is that some prospects probably get emails all the time from sellers trying to push them a better domain. It's likely they will trash it before even seeing what you are offering.

Rather than using a subject line that tells them you are about to go into a sales pitch, just use the domain name you are trying to sale and nothing else. If it appeases to their liking, they'll open it.

•••
This email made me a sale so I continued using it but so far I have no more results.
Could you guys criticize this email to see what I need to improve?
Thanks!
Normally with the email I always attach a logo design.

Hi Mark,

I visited yourwebsite .com, what a great aviation academy , 80 years in business!

I'm the owner of mywebsite .com

- I'm focusing on another project relating to a different industry right now and since I'm not using mywebsite .com I thought it would be of value to you if ever you decided to attract more traffic to your site.

mywebsite will be listed on several marketplaces for just $xxx USD within the next few days. Should you be interested in acquiring the name before then, please let me know asap.

Thank you for your time,

Mi Name
Phone:
Email:

This is a onetime email

•••
I believe it could be a bit shorter. You should leave out the part about listing at several market places. Just a "please reply with reasonable offer" would suffice.

I would also leave out the "if ever you decided to attract more traffic to your site" comment.

Just trim it down so there's less fluff, and more 'call-to-action'; without being too pushy.

Edit: also helps if you are not using a free email address. Not sure if you have a website or not but [email protected] doesn't sound as official as [email protected]

Last edited:
•••
•••
LOL @ long winded, BS nonsense. 100% COPING MECHANISM

The only reason why End User may not be buying your domain name is ONE reason only: PRICE

- If domain holder asks $100 or if asking price is deemed low enough, will inquirer think he's a squatter? NO

- In fact buyer will be thanking domainer for "keeping domain safe" all these years for said buyer!

- If they inquire about your domain, they already see the domain as "beautiful".
But seeing the asking price might cause sticker shock... LOL

- Pitch who?
Pitching is from desperate domainers who need to make sales
By doing outward pitching you are showing you are desperate.
None of the top domainers do it.
None of the big sales were the result of outward SPAMMING er I mean, Outward Pitching

LOL

•••
Thank you Drunker, could you share what strategy works for you?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back