Dynadot

2022 Predictions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

imwangi

Established Member
Impact
2021 has closed with Metaverse and NFTS at the top of the domain market table. If you had a key domain name in any of these niches, I bet you made a pretty penny. I wasn't lucky; but as we know, this business is about timing and chance. Knowing what is trending is critical, but by then all the high value domains are taken. It's therefore important to look into a crystal ball and take a chance on where the market is headed, where the next meta or nft will come from. So, what's your predictions for 2022?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How will go the next year basically cryptocurrency market? I would like to know more about it. Because I already invested my money in different cryptocurrency projects. So I am a little bit confused.

•••
It is not a logical extension, but it's also used for things that are not quite logical as well (or weren't logical yesterday - let's put it this way) - crypto, NFT, meta - the whole rapidly digitalized world. I think this world is looking for a new extension. Com? Too traditional. Net and Biz - outdated. Co - reminds com too much. Io has a strict tech stigma. So, to me there is quite a good chance that .xyz was chosen for this whole ''digi future'' and it will only continue to grow.
Do I discard the possibility that a xyz is a bubble which is gonna burst? Absolutely not. Enough demand needs to be accumulated so the world recognizes it widely, and it is a big question whether or not it is gonna happen.
However, I am confident that in 2022 xyz will remain strong. I see no indication in the next year for it to go down. In any case my investment in it is about $200 between some 4 letters, one-word and popular two words, so I am not worried much.
I understand the investment opportunity right now and I take all your valid points on board. However the crypto industry seems to lean more towards dot org than any other domain name extension. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the crypto industry's main brands by domain name extension. One for a @Bob Hawkes blog maybe? I can see such a thread being extremely popular along the lines of " Which domain name extension does the cryptocurrency industry use in 2022? "

•••
I think meta related domain will has great sales.

•••
Please list top 10 websites in the world using xyz extensions. Real websites people actually use.
Here are 10 (my apologies for trying to condense complex businesses into one line each):
abc.xyz Investor relations site for Alphabet, the parent company of Google.
Block.xyz Recently put into use as the umbrella site for a number of high-impact technologies such as payment system Square. 24 million businesses and solo-businesses use Square (probably more now).
West.xyz The English language site for West, one of the biggest domain registrars in the world.
Beacon.xyz Just sold this year, but in use as a community focussed cryptocurrency fund.
Manifold.xyz is also new, but it is a site to mint NFT backed music, and has some big name users.
Mesh.xyz is an interesting incubator for blockchain related startups with a strong dose of collaboration.
Switch.xyz is an interesting name put recently in use. They provide data feeds with blockchain support.
SocialNews.xyz I always thought news would be a good fit to .xyz, and this is representative of regional and niche news services on the TLD.
Minty.xyz This site helps you find DAO opportunities. Don't claim to be knowledgeable in area, but like the name.
Propel.xyz certainly seems a forward looking way for funding tomorrow-tech startups. I see they even are promoting Metaverse As A Service.

OK that is the 10 you asked for, but here are a couple more I found interesting.
Patron.xyz A venture capital service for early-stage startups.
X.xyz Site for creating and selling NFTs.

Sure almost all the top 500 businesses in world are on, and will stay on, .com for their main site. That is partly inertia, both corporate and in consumer minds. Names like Apple.xyz, Amazon.xyz, GoDaddy.xyz, Alexa.xyz, are in use via redirection by who you would think. Oh and so is DomainKing.xyz.

I think with .xyz we are where we were in early adoption of .io. A small number of developed sites, mainly in one sector, mainly small startups, some of whom will fail, as most startups do. Gradually .io expanded beyond its tech focus. We will see, but the recent sales have been mainly in .xyz have been mainly used in crypto. defi, NFT, collaboration and ".... as a service" type companies.

There are 2154 .xyz sites in the Alexa 1M highest-impact websites. True, way less than the hundreds of thousand .com, but not a meaningless number. Cisco Umbrella stats show an increase in global web traffic to .xyz sites, and more than many respected country codes. Are many of the .xyz in Alexa less than wholesome. Yup.

But also true that real businesses are adopting and using .xyz. We should not fight that, pretending its 2017, but rather embrace it and make money from it. @DNGear has done a masterful job with the extension. We should study the kind of names she, and others, are selling. Both the names and use is a bit different from big sales in general, I would argue. But also look toward the future.

Bob

PS I did not include the registry promotional site, but definitely that would be another used site. gen.xyz You can also see what they see as the target audience (generations x, y and z) although as end of alphabet, as the Cartesian coordinates, etc. various other applications. Their site gives a bunch more in-use sites if looking for more examples.

Last edited:
•••
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the crypto industry's main brands by domain name extension. One for a @Bob Hawkes blog maybe
I agree it is an interesting topic. Both for this topic, and for many others. e.g. what TLDs are popular for gambling, training, NFTs, etc. Have made note in my list of ideas for future blog posts. Thank you.
Bob

•••
Thanks for starting the thread, @imwangi

Just wanted to point out that the following thread looking for similar information, so urge people to read and post there as well.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-will-2022-hold-input-for-future-blog-post-sought.1260570/

I feel completely unsure what will happen in NFTs in 2022, and how impact domain names.

I think metaverse will be strong as idea, but less sure if rate of domain sales will continue. Those who have held the exact word meta in a country code for some time are in excellent position, though.

I agree that the closely related topic of AR/VR/XR will stay strong in commercial importance with occasional great names sold at good prices.

Health will stay front and center.

I think learning, both formal and informal, will result in domain sales at all ends of the market.

Omicron has taught society several lessons. One of which is really air quality enhancement, while not inexpensive or easy, is a job we must tackle.

I see space as something that will be even more important in coming year.

So many possibilties.

Bob

•••
•••
•••
Here are 10 (my apologies for trying to condense complex businesses into one line each):
abc.xyz Investor relations site for Alphabet, the parent company of Google.
Block.xyz Recently put into use as the umbrella site for a number of high-impact technologies such as payment system Square. 24 million businesses and solo-businesses use Square (probably more now).
West.xyz The English language site for West, one of the biggest domain registrars in the world.
Beacon.xyz Just sold this year, but in use as a community focussed cryptocurrency fund.
Manifold.xyz is also new, but it is a site to mint NFT backed music, and has some big name users.
Mesh.xyz is an interesting incubator for blockchain related startups with a strong dose of collaboration.
Switch.xyz is an interesting name put recently in use. They provide data feeds with blockchain support.
SocialNews.xyz I always thought news would be a good fit to .xyz, and this is representative of regional and niche news services on the TLD.
Minty.xyz This site helps you find DAO opportunities. Don't claim to be knowledgeable in area, but like the name.
Propel.xyz certainly seems a forward looking way for funding tomorrow-tech startups. I see they even are promoting Metaverse As A Service.

OK that is the 10 you asked for, but here are a couple more I found interesting.
Patron.xyz A venture capital service for early-stage startups.
X.xyz Site for creating and selling NFTs.

Sure almost all the top 500 businesses in world are on, and will stay on, .com for their main site. That is partly inertia, both corporate and in consumer minds. Names like Apple.xyz, Amazon.xyz, GoDaddy.xyz, Alexa.xyz, are in use via redirection by who you would think. Oh and so is DomainKing.xyz.

I think with .xyz we are where we were in early adoption of .io. A small number of developed sites, mainly in one sector, mainly small startups, some of whom will fail, as most startups do. Gradually .io expanded beyond its tech focus. We will see, but the recent sales have been mainly in .xyz have been mainly used in crypto. defi, NFT, collaboration and ".... as a service" type companies.

There are 2154 .xyz sites in the Alexa 1M highest-impact websites. True, way less than the hundreds of thousand .com, but not a meaningless number. Cisco Umbrella stats show an increase in global web traffic to .xyz sites, and more than many respected country codes. Are many of the .xyz in Alexa less than wholesome. Yup.

But also true that real businesses are adopting and using .xyz. We should not fight that, pretending its 2017, but rather embrace it and make money from it. @DNGear has done a masterful job with the extension. We should study the kind of names she, and others, are selling. Both the names and use is a bit different from big sales in general, I would argue. But also look toward the future.

Bob

PS I did not include the registry promotional site, but definitely that would be another used site. gen.xyz You can also see what they see as the target audience (generations x, y and z) although as end of alphabet, as the Cartesian coordinates, etc. various other applications. Their site gives a bunch more in-use sites if looking for more examples.
I've never understood why people on here gripe so much about other extensions.

Personally, I don't have any .xyz for the same reasons I don't have .net: I simply don't like them. But, I don't go around thinking they are trash or that they should crash and burn.

If you don't like an extension or feel it doesn't have a use-case, leave it for those who think differently and stick to what you know and like.

PS: Thanks Bob for the data and analytics. Excellent as usual.

Last edited:
•••
2021 has been very good to me and my early prediction and investments in the meta space. For 2022 I predict that the next big thing will be Avatar related domains. Goods and services for avatars will be the centerpiece of a well functioning and diverse metaverse economy. The metaverse is made for avatars!

Other very strong sales will be in the following niches...

AR

VR

XR

P2E

Last edited:
•••
I've never understood why people on here gripe so much about other extensions.

Personally, I don't have any .xyz for the same reasons I don't have .net: I simply don't like them. But, I don't go around thinking they are trash or that they should crash and burn.

If you don't like an extension or feel it doesn't have a use-case, leave it for those who think differently and stick to what you know and like.

PS: Thanks Bob for the data and analytics. Excellent as usual.
Why? Because when you see xyz pushed all the time and 600000 xyz domain names registered and you know 99 % of them aren't going to be developed into websites it's rather tedious. But I take your point into consideration. Right now xyz seems to be a good investment for domainers, while of limited future value to end users and therefore long term domain name investors.

•••
Why? Because when you see xyz pushed all the time and 600000 xyz domain names registered and you know 99 % of them aren't going to be developed into websites it's rather tedious. But I take your point into consideration. Right now xyz seems to be a good investment for domainers, while of limited future value to end users and therefore long term domain name investors.
The vast majority of registered names in all extensions don’t get developed. It is true that percentage not developed is higher outside big 3 legacy and a relatively few country code. Generally higher in TLDs deeply discounted in year 1, such as .xyz.

The proportion of recently retail sold .xyz that are developed quickly seem as high as in recently sold .com.

You might want to check out data in following article regarding web use. There are a few ways to measure that, one of which is routing calls in the global Cisco Umbrella. I looked at how that had changed over a bit more than a year. XYZ moved from 29th to 15th, becoming the most used new extension. Globally about same traffic as .gov. I also provide data on Alexa 1M use.

Article 'Website Traffic Changes for Different Domain Name Extensions'
https://www.namepros.com/blog/website-traffic-changes-for-different-domain-name-extensions.1234427/

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The vast majority of registered names in all extensions don’t get developed. It is true that percentage not developed is higher outside big 3 legacy and a relatively few country code. Generally higher in TLDs deeply discounted in year 1, such as .xyz.

The proportion of recently retail sold .xyz that are developed quickly seem as high as in recently sold .com.

You might want to check out data in following article regarding web use. There are a few ways to measure that, one of which is routing calls in the global Cisco Umbrella. I looked at how that had changed over a year. XYZ moved from 29th to 15th, becoming the most used new extension. Globally about same traffic as .gov. I also provide data on Alexa 1M use.

Article 'Website Traffic Changes for Different Domain Name Extensions'
https://www.namepros.com/blog/website-traffic-changes-for-different-domain-name-extensions.1234427/

Bob
Thank you @Bob Hawkes for the resources. I'm always open to considering new data. Cheers.

•••
I read somewhere that .monster was initially for Monster Jobs.
Yes, that is right. Originally the Monster.com job site had it as a brand type TLD, but decided to sell it to the .xyz registry people who re-released it for general availability now. A number of other releases first started as a brand, for example .sbs, .quest etc. It is a faster path for registries wanting a TLD, and allows companies to get some of their investment back.

•••
Can you show me a few sample websites related to meta?
meta dot com

OP asked what will be trending in 2022; I think this website, which is just a site lander by now,
will most likely become a gate into a whole new universe :xf.wink:

And then we have Apple, Google and Microsoft, maybe even Amazon, coming into this space too.

2022 will be a great year for VR, cryptogaming, and AR (with some time difference).

Last edited:
•••
meta dot com

OP asked what will be trending in 2022; I think this website, which is just a site lander by now,
will most likely become a gate into a whole new universe :xf.wink:

And then we have Apple, Google and Microsoft, maybe even Amazon, coming into this space too.

2022 will be a great year for VR, cryptogaming, and AR (with some time difference).
I will definitely. Thank you so much for your reply.

•••
pretty sure the following domains will sell for 8 figures in the next 12-24 months

NFTs.com

DAOs.com

CBDCs.com

•••
meta

web3

nfts

dao

Just guess.

•••
pretty sure the following domains will sell for 8 figures in the next 12-24 months

NFTs.com

DAOs.com

CBDCs.com
Nfts .Com sold for $15000000.You got this right.

•••
•••
Fascinating how nobody noticed that .COM has been losing domain names for the last three months. (Seems to be a Covid drop effect).
01 June 2022: -33,353 (May 2022)
01 July 2022: -228,133 (June 2022)
01 August: -123,467 (July 2022)

Verisign had been dropping hints of a small slowdown on some of its earnings calls. The increase in Covid registrations also hit many of the ccTLDs and they've also seen varying levels of decreases. Shopify also cut 10% of its workforce saying that its bet on the continued rise in demand due to Covid didn't work out.

The COM seems to be improving but the period from April to September is generally slower each year with new registration volume picking up as December and the Christmas/Holiday/Black Friday season approaches. There are some other effects that domainers should be aware of in some of the legacy gTLDs. There seems to be rise in golden handcuffs renewals with the renewal fee rising to a multiple of the new registration fee.

There's also a price increase on .COM starting in September. Not sure how this is going to affect new registrations but with .COM going negative, it is not great timing.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Fascinating how nobody noticed that .COM has been losing domain names for the last three months. (Seems to be a Covid drop effect).
01 June 2022: -33,353 (May 2022)
01 July 2022: -228,133 (June 2022)
01 August: -123,467 (July 2022)
An interesting observation. Thank you @jmcc!
My best guess: there was an increase (sort of) in IT (hosting, domains) in covid lockdown periods, due to businesses going online, as well as more new entrepreneurs trying to start something online (successfully or not is another question, if one lost offline job - he had to try at least). Unsure about new registrations numbers in 2020-2022, but aftermarket sales, at least some sales not in cosmic price ranges, occured exactly because of the above.
So, what we see now is just a side effect, the new regs and aftermarket sales may in fact decrease accordingly.

Drop in renewals? Again, more numbers should be analyzed. Of course domainers mass handregs of meta domains one day, or covid domains another day - most are now dropped, or will be soon.

The time will tell whether they announce new pandemic and what the new (ab)normality will be...

Last edited:
•••
•••
An interesting observation. Thank you @jmcc!
My best guess: there was an increase (sort of) in IT (hosting, domains) in covid lockdown periods, due to businesses going online, as well as more new entrepreneurs trying to start something online (successfully or not is another question, if one lost offline job - he had to try at least). Unsure about new registrations numbers in 2020-2022, but aftermarket sales, at least some sales not in cosmic price ranges, occured exactly because of the above.
So, what we see now is just a side effect, the new regs and aftermarket sales may in fact decrease accordingly.
The time will tell whether they announce new pandemic and what the new (ab)normality will be...
There are multiple trends happening at the same time. That makes it very difficult to work out what is going on with some TLDs.

There's the Covid drop which was always going to happen. The problem is that it is not a sharp shock confined to a few months like the Chinese CHiPs bubble a few years ago.

There's also an inflation trend where domainers may drop domain names that have not had offers for a long time or ordinary users drop domain names that they will not get around to developing. Some registrations that drop over April-September are from discounting offers but they generally occur in the first quarter and early second quarter of each year. The .COM price increase is going to feed into that trend.

Some of the Covid registrations spikes were way out of normal for .COM and some ccTLDs. The problem was that many would never be developed and unless they were being used for e-mail, they would be dropped.

The For Sale set of domain names always gets hit in the aftermath of a registrations spike. Most of the aftermarket is basically a rigged game when it comes to ordinary non-registrar domainers. The really good domain names end up on the auction sites because the registrars generally have the DNS traffic data for many of these domain names. For every headline sale, there are thousands of domain names that will drop without ever getting an offer.

The effect for some ccTLDs seems to be amplified because of domainers applying .COM rules to ccTLDs. Apart from a few long-gone domain names, it rarely works because ccTLD users generally don't think in terms of generics. They often think in terms of brandables and geos.

This is the .COM spike in new registrations from 2021:
01 April 2021: 4,068,132 (March 2021)
01 May 2021: 3,788,901 (April 2021)
01 June 2021: 3,806,558 (May 2021)

These have been going through their renew/delete cycle over the last few months.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
What about Soul Bound Token (SBT)? Do you think it will go big in 2023?

•••
Back