Domain Empire

2012 London Olympics

NameSilo
Watch
With the Olympic Games coming up this month, some pre-game publicity struck me as just a bit odd.

1). The official Olympic Theme song video was released on the 4th of July. Its sounds a bit Queenish... which kinda makes sense, and I do like the guitar wales. But the 4th.?. Really? The day the U.S. celebrates its independence from the Crown. A bit odd.

But no biggy, though the London organizers shoulda waited a day if only not to bury a news worthy release on a holiday. Maybe they don't like the song? The title "Survival" is also odd, IMO, for the Olympics.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66molzUEkWI"]Survival[/ame]

2). BP, the company responsible for the worst oil spill in U.S. history, just a year ago, is listed as a "Sustainability Partner". Odd. When did oil become a sustainable product?

I get that BP, aka British Petroleum, is a logical sponsor for the London Olympics... but trying to use the Olympic platform as a springboard to greenwash BP will likely backfire, and tarnish the games in the process.

Also, on the domain "cyber-squatting" front: The Olympic website: london2012.com. The BP website: bplondon2012.com
I doubt a domainer could get away with that.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The Video is great. The music didn't tickle my fancy. Perhaps I'll grow to like it.

Yes, big oil, big corporations, big banks, they've taken control of almost everything. Even the Olympic committee are a bunch of corrupt thieves, so they will willingly go to bed with BP.

Looking forward to the games

•••
Indeed, the video wins the gold. The music barely qualified.

I too am looking forward to the games, but I'll be "holding my nose" as this Olympic committee stinks.

A few weeks ago they went after a hobby community of knitters with a cease and desist order on patterns that had the Olympic logo, and for having a tonque-in-cheek knitting Olympics called Ravelympics... saying it was an insult to athletes.

But letting BP spoof the Olympic domain as a 'Sustainability Partner' is not an insult to the games, the intelligence of athletes and viewers?

As it turns out, that quiet little knitting club has 2,228,423 registered users who have since kicked several apologies out of this Olympic Committee's bullying ass!

And while most folks will look the other way as BP humps the Olympic logo, I'm happy to see some raise their voices across the web. Thanks.

•••
Love the Olympics, can't wait. Something to hold me over until Football season starts, no real sports going on now.

•••
Is not a fan of the olympics.
Too many non-sports allowed.
Plus the muslim women get to cover themselves, so how do we know they are not men?

Trivia you all...
The whole olympic torch run, lighting, etc etc?
You got Hitler to thank for that!

•••
Is not a fan of the olympics.
Too many non-sports allowed.
Plus the muslim women get to cover themselves, so how do we know they are not men?

Trivia you all...
The whole olympic torch run, lighting, etc etc?
You got Hitler to thank for that!

It says it was this dude, Carl Diem

"He created the tradition of the Olympic torch relay, and was an influential historian of sport, particularly the Olympic games."

- [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Diem"]Carl Diem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

•••
And who was in charge?
What regime?
Still, it is a matter of who came up with the idea first.
Not Hitler, but he gets the credit for making it happen.

Dinner tonight at our place?
Fresh picked Iowa sweet corn on the cob.
Hamburgers that started out in an Iowa cow.
Tomatoes from our garden.

•••
What's with all the Hitler in threads these days?

To the op.

Every company with the finances to sponsor the Olympics has issues - unless you care to point one out?

Apple? - Suicide Watch...
Barclays? - Let's not go there..

•••
Like the majority of the British public - I'm going to one or two events, should be a fun day out and nice to share the once (or twice) in a lifetime experience.

Too many people forget about the sports and focus too much on the politics. Let's just sit back and enjoy :xf.love:

•••
Too many people forget about the sports and focus too much on the politics. Let's just sit back and enjoy :xf.love:

Every four years the Brits love Cycling, Boating, and .... that's about it :hearts:

•••
The song is awesome. Waiting to watch the Olympics. Got bored since Euro 2012 has ended. I agree with you that US had took over not only oil but each and every organizations. We can only protest against it and hope for the best.

So, by putting all the politics aside i hope that you would also enjoy this upcoming event.

•••
Face it, say Hitler and people know who he is.
Say Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung and people say huh?
Besides, of all the mass killers of all time and all countries, he was the most photogenic.

LOL

•••
Face it, say Hitler and people know who he is.
Say Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung and people say huh?
Besides, of all the mass killers of all time and all countries, he was the most photogenic.

LOL
I would say it's his moustache that makes him instantly recognizable world wide. I have never, in all my life seen anyone with a Hitler moustache, except for some pictures of cats.

Has anyone?

Stalin and Mao Tse Tung are easily recognizable. Pol Pot hardly.

•••
True, they all have issues... and shining a bit of the Olympic spotlight on those issues is good policy. Especially when a company uses the Olympic stage for blatant false advertising.

Nonetheless, after the sustainability commercials from an oil company, and the athletes take the field its On With The Games!!

To the op. Every company with the finances to sponsor the Olympics has issues - unless you care to point one out?

Apple? - Suicide Watch...
Barclays? - Let's not go there..

•••
I am looking forward to reading or hearing that North Korea beats China, Russia and France in the gold medal standings.
And for Egypt, Libya, Iran, and Tunisia (among other islamic countries) to at once sentence their losers to death by stoning.

•••
I would say it's his moustache that makes him instantly recognizable world wide. I have never, in all my life seen anyone with a Hitler moustache, except for some pictures of cats.

Has anyone?

Stalin and Mao Tse Tung are easily recognizable. Pol Pot hardly.

Jordan did

Jordan_Hitler_Moustache.jpg

Zappa did too.. only on he wore his on his chin..
famous-mustaches12.jpg

and of course.

5067855357_e0e0e397f3.jpg

•••
•••
Jordan did

Jordan_Hitler_Moustache.jpg

Zappa did too.. only on he wore his on his chin..
famous-mustaches12.jpg

and of course.

5067855357_e0e0e397f3.jpg
LOL, Hard to notice on Jordan; he needs to lighten his skin.

Zappa's is really well thought out; a combination of Hitler and Stalin.

The doggy pic is the best; the mustache , the salute and that evil look in his eye! :tu:

•••
Gotta give it to the Brits on the video front. Here is another Gold Medal winner in my book, with music ("First Steps" by Elbow) to match.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVrjFlt4hI"]2012 Olympic Games[/ame]

•••
•••
•••
And apparently french fries, unless they're from McDonald's or you get them with fish.

•••
Did it again...a great blog post title:

Can Pole Dancing Get Recognized As An Olympic Sport?

•••
And apparently french fries, unless they're from McDonald's or you get them with fish.
Would that be the McDonald's version of the Oh so British "Fish & Chips"?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back