Dynadot

2011 Domain Name Predictions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I love this time of year because there are so many different predictions about SEO, Digital advertising and so on but I haven't seen any sensible domain industry predictions for 2011 yet.

So thought I woud start a thread on it

What's your prediction(s) for 2011?

1. I think we will see massive domain name growth as we exit recession this year

2. I also think .tv's will have a massive resurge due to online video growth

There you go that's my 1 prediction, what's yours?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess 2011 will not be much different from 2011.

good domains will sell as well as before and crappy domains will not sell.

.CO might not see as many renewals as they hope, but that is just my opinion.

•••

good domains will sell as well as before and crappy domains will not sell.

.CO might not see as many renewals as they hope, but that is just my opinion.

Yeh I agree with the .co's - haven't seen many people developing them

•••
I think that .TVs will grow and .CO's will start to bring in some good money for generic/short/brandable words

•••

if 2011 was any much different from 2011, would we know?.

I predict 2011 will stay the same as predicted. lol

•••
I predict that most predictions will turn out to be wrong :sold:

•••
if 2011 was any much different from 2011, would we know?.

I predict 2011 will stay the same as predicted. lol

:bingo: LoL

I predict that most predictions will turn out to be wrong :sold:

Indeed. It seems to be the one contstant in this industry. :D

Just the same, all the best to everyone in 2011.

-Regards

•••
more domains will be developed

•••
I also think .tv's will have a massive resurge due to online video growth ...

I think that .TVs will grow ...

^ I expect the exact OPPOSITE ... the lowly ccTLD for the teeny isle of Tuvalu has now run its course of narrow and limited speculation; there are very few, if any, legitimate & bonafide End users who would adopt unique, dedicated video content on this extension / platform; and it may very well be that this extension fails to renew as a whole come 2013/2014! :guilty: :imho:

My prediction (though it would be of no surprise); added value :$: to quality .COM's and .ORG's, and to a bit lesser extent .NET's IMHO. :yell:
Happy New Year,
Jeff :santa:

•••
I predict that I will make some ridiculous claims for my New Years Resolution and then start to ignore them on the 2nd of January and completely forget ever having made them by the 3rd.

But honestly, I see myself actually starting to have some great successes...all you really need is a particular frame of mind and a tendency to be slightly obsessive, I haven't really sold any domains as yet to write home about, my first year has been about finding them and recognising what is good...

I did make some really bad decisions in the first month and some questionable purchases but with my first year coming to a close I have got very close to snatching some phenomenal domains that anyone would be proud to have in their portfolio; names like hairdressing.info and sunbathing.info and even southwales.info and sportsdesk,org (awesome name for a sports blog) last week when Godaddy refused to play ball with my newly restored Paypal account.

I think it is not really important how long you have been doing something, but what you can do in the time you have available, I still have 50 odd years or so to perfect it and this year will be about acquiring names and selling them.

This first year has been about getting known to the community and figuring things out as well as spending time in the appraisals section to learn what makes a domain valuable or worthy, and though I do talk big (and can freely admit that to myself) I actually do know people quite well and what motivates them and how they think for the most part, I just have to start putting into practice what I preach lol (My biggest weakness is my lack of consistency, I get bored easily and tend to put things off lol)

Small steps first, I would rather get 1 or 2 great names and not have luck selling them than buying 500 crap names and only selling a couple lol

Anyways, my predictions for the future in more general terms that isn't completely self-centered are that 3D domains are NOT going to be as big as everyone thought there were going to be except for the major ones like 3dMovies.com and that coming .xxx will be seen by the entire community for the thinly veiled money spinning scam that it is.

Last edited:
•••
Exact match domains are going to lose some of their power to influence search rankings on Google.

•••

Call-for-action and short sentence dotcoms and dotorgs will become more attractive to end users.

It seems that domainers like to call just about any domain "call-to-action," but, in truth, a CTA must have a subject/verb or subject/verb/direct object combination (although "you," as a command, can be understood. For example, "Vote" can be a CTA or a noun).

Web users remember strong sentences that are flashed across a TV screen or monitor.

For example,

WeWillVote [dot] com and org (disclaimer: these are mine).

A question domain: WillYouVote [dot] com and org (also mine).

We'll see, though.

Predictions can be dicey and can have an element of wishful thinking attached to them.

:)

•••
its all depend on global economy - when that will become more stable - the domain and web market will increase in value , i dont see it happening in 2011 - more in the area of 2013-2014 .

i am not pro .co or anti .co , but its sure going to be interesting to see where it is going to go on 2011 .

•••
I tend to agree. With any luck the economy will rebound and stabilize. It will definitely be interesting to watch what happens with .CO as a whole. Additionally, I found it particularly interesting to read of the speculation on .Org names gaining momentum again. I look forward to reading more about it, as it too should be fun to keep an eye on. Maybe we'll even see another multi-million dollar, high profile sale as we did this year. All in all, may 2011 be prosperous for everyone.

-Regards

•••
more crappy extensions being released, more people losing money off them

someone PM me when .web is released

until then i pass

stick to [keyword].com/net/org and stay in school

•••
One of the infinite monkeys that type in the random numbers over at Estibot head office will decide that he has had enough of numerical keys and write the complete works of Shakespeare.

•••
My prediction is that fresh registrations will slow down and aftermarket sales will increase.
Happy new year everyone :hearts:

•••
With the number of domains now over 200 million and a slugish recovery of the global economy expected I predict supply to continue to exceed demand in the domain market.

Any growth in development and enduser demand for domains will be offset by the release new extensions.

Expect a lot of drops and little or no increse in the average sales price of domains in all extensions.

•••
Some bright spark will get it into his head at internet command that .3d is a good idea.

•••
•••
I predict a third layer being added to the weird imaginary pricing meme that domainers use -- "collector price." It will fall somewhere on the low side of "end user price" and "reseller price" and denote the value of a domain to someone who will buy it and sit on it for years and years and years without ever doing anything with it.

Frank

•••
.CO will prove to be yet another wasteful speculative bubble.

•••
Some bright spark will get it into his head at internet command that .3d is a good idea.

if that bright spark had a couple of hundred thou to spare he can apply to have a gtld

•••
Google will merge with Microsoft:guilty:
They will make a live aid concert dedicated to domnainers

•••
if that bright spark had a couple of hundred thou to spare he can apply to have a gtld

is it true that gtlds have to have at least 3 chars?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back