Dynadot

2003 Darwin Awards

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
The Darwin Awards are presented annually for the most extreme act of--occasionally terminal-- stupidity.

First Place 2003 Darwin Award Winner:

When his 38-caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach, California, would be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder: He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked.

Honorable Mentions:

The chef at a hotel in Switzerland lost a finger in a meat cutting
machine and, after a little hopping around, submitted a claim to
his insurance company. The company, suspecting negligence, sent out one of its men to have a look for himself. He tried the machine out and lost a finger. The chef's claim was approved.

An American teenager was in the hospital recently recovering from
serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.

A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, puts a $20 bill on the
counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer? $15.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and
carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled,
"FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

For a moment, everyone was silent. Then the snickers started. The guard completely lost it and doubled over laughing. It probably saved his life, because he'd been about to draw his gun. He couldn't have drawn and fired before the thief got him. The thief ran away and is still at large. In memory of the event, the banker later put a plaque on the wall engraved with the words, "Freeze, mother-stickers, this is a ****-up!"

As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man
grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."

Kentucky: Two men tried to pull the front off a cash machine by
running a chain from the machine to the bumper of their pickup truck. Instead of pulling the front panel off the machine, though, they pulled the bumper off their truck. Scared, they left the scene and drove home, the chain still attached to the machine, their
bumper still attached to the chain, and their vehicle's license plate
still attached to the bumper. They were quickly arrested.

A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER!

When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and
plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges, saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
" ... for the most extreme act of--occasionally terminal-- stupidity."

:lol:

Good stuff, Duke! :laugh:
Thanks for the break after a VERY busy and productive day here at Namepros.

•••
Thanks Duke :)
That was a good read. Reminds me of my childhood friends and especially the letter ma wrote right after she shipped me off to the infinate summer school on the little yellow bus.

//*******
Dear son, I'm writin this slow cause I know you don't read so fast.
We don't live no more where we used to when you left.
The sheriff told your Pa that most accidents happen within twenty miles of home, so we moved.
Won't be able to send you the address since the last family that lived here took the numbers with them for their next house. They didn't want to have to change their address.
This place has a washing machine.
The first day, I put four shirts in it, pulled the chain and haven't seen the durn things since.
It only rained twice last week, three days the first time and four days the second time.
The coat you wanted me to send you, your Aunt MaryLue said it would have been a little to heavy to send to you in the mail with these heavy buttons on, so we cut'em off and put'em in the pockets.
We got a notice from the funeral home, said if we didn't make thelast payment on Granny's funeral bill, up she comes!
About your Pa, hehas a nice new job. He has over 500 men under him,
Yeah, he cuts grass down at the graveyard.
Oh yeah, your sister had her baby this mornin.
Haven'theard yet if its a boy or a girl, so I don't know if your an aunt or an uncle.
Your uncle Jethro fell in the whisky vat.
Some men tried to pull him out but he fought'em off for six hours till he drowned.
We followed his wish and cremated him. He burned for three days.
Three of your friends went off the bridge in a pickup. Jake was drivin, but he got out.
He rolled down the window and swam to safety.
Clem and Jed were in the back and they both got drowned.
They couldn't get the tailgate down.

Not much news this time, just the same old stuff. I'll try to write again next year.
Love, Ma
I was going to send some money, but the envelope was already sealed.

//******

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
gave me a great laugh in the morning :)

•••
Originally posted by NameCaster
Thanks Duke :)

Not much news this time, just the same old stuff. I'll try to write again next year.
Love, Ma
I was going to send some money, but the envelope was already sealed.

//******

Cheers!

:laugh: Good stuff NC!

•••
Those were great! Thanks for that! :laugh:

•••
Lmao... I love the Darwin awards. Thanks for the laughs!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back