Domain Empire

20 NP$ if you can solve this mystery!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
20 DN$ if you can solve this mystery!

Last night at 6:50pm, I registered NascarDads.net & org at RackShack. At 7:01pm, I was astounded to receive a telephone call from a prospective buyer in Indiana asking how much I was asking for NascarDads.net. That's 11 minutes after registering the name(s)!

Just to confirm and reconfirm my expectations, I promptly checked the whois at RackShack, Network Solutions and BetterWhois and, as expected, the whois had not yet generated the registrant data.

How, then, do you suppose the caller was able to access my registrant and contact data in the span of less than 11 minutes? (You can pretty much eliminate the remote possibility that the caller works for RackShack. His call originated from Indiana. RackShack is in Houston.)

20 DN$ to anyone who can definitively solve this mystery?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
he used opensrs or hes hacked you comp

•••
stokie's right. RackShack, Network Solutions and BetterWhois may not show your data yet, but it will be immediately available at the spnsoring registrar's whois, which in this case is Opensrs.

•••
OpenSRS's whois is at
http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/whois/

That seems like the most reasonable explaination, although that still seems strange. Could have been at an OpenSRS reseller that interfaces directly with the OS Whois.

Any chance you can ask the buyer? 11 minutes from registration to first inquiry must be a record!

•••
•••
And the winner is ...

Originally posted by THESTOKIE
he used opensrs or hes hacked you comp

Consensus declares you da' winnuh, Stokie. 20 NP$ are heading your way ... along with my thanks to all of you who have seemingly solved this mystery.

Still, 11 minutes?!?! Who'da thunk it?

Thanks, gentlemen.

•••
•••
If you are an OpenSRS reseller, and someone under you registers a domain name, are you notified of the new registration?

•••
Why not ask the Indiana guy, and also invite him to NamePros as he seems to know his stuff :)

•••
> So did you sell it?

Nope. But we spoke tonight and I'm weighing the possibility of a lease arrangement. I'd like to get some traffic numbers before I price the lease deal.

> If you are an OpenSRS reseller, and someone under you
> registers a domain name, are you notified of the new
> registration?

> Why not ask the Indiana guy ...

Well, I did. And it turns out that OpenSRS was NOT the source of the whois data, which was relayed promptly to him by a friend via IM.

Are you sitting down? The guy's friend got the 11-minute old whois data from ... BuyDomains.com!!! I was completely blown away. So I just registered NascarDad.net and NascarDad.org and voila! Two minutes later, the complete registrant data was visible at BuyDomains' whois. (Of course, OpenSRS had it, too.)

Question: Which do you think is a more valuable and viable domain to develop for the name's natural constituency, NascarDads.net or NascarDads.org?

I've pretty much made my conclusion. What's yours?

•••
Originally posted by DomainMyName
[BQuestion: Which do you think is a more valuable and viable domain to develop for the name's natural constituency, NascarDads.net or NascarDads.org?

I've pretty much made my conclusion. What's yours? [/B]

The ".ORG", IMHO.

Link: http://www.arsracing.com/grandstandbob/nascardads.html

Happy hunting, Scott. :)

•••
Another vote for .org

ST

•••
•••
thanks for the np$
very easy 20np$
good luck with your sale

•••
I would go with the .ORG as well! Good luck in your sale too!!

•••
•••
I hate to make an ass of myself, but here's my theory:

Given the info that the guy didn't use OpenSRS, my bet is this: Most registrars upload their new domain info every 12 or 24 hrs. You registered at 6:50 by your clock (or theirs) and sometime between 6:51-7:00...they update and upload.

Your caller's buddy just happens to be online, checks the whois, finds your "hot off the freakin' press" contact info and IM's his domain pal.

....Who then calls you and knocks your socks off.

So....Is that worth 25 NP$?

•••
modern wizardry:cy: just watchout for the hacks:tri:

•••
kind of an old post :( i wanted to solve a mystery

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back