Dynadot

2 month old newbee

NameSilo
Watch

JanO

This advertising space is for saleEstablished Member
Impact
Hello everybody,

My name is Jan and I'm from the Netherlands (therefore my English isn't perfect)
I breed horses for a living.

I've registered my first (and last for 9 years) domain, with the intention to sell it later, in 2008. It was a .in domain & I still have it. Between 2008 and a few months ago I've done nothing regarding domaining

A few months ago I received an email from Japan from a domain broker, asking if my domain is still available, because he has a client that wants to buy the domain I registered in 2008. He found me via public Whois.

I was very excited because I might sell my first domain but also nervous because I asked him to send me an offer but I had no idea what a reasonable price was.

He sent me an (unbelievable) offer, I was very excited.

Turned out it was all for nothing because it was a scam. He asked for a certificate in Japanese. I had to pay 250 dollar for such a certificate. Obvious he ran the certificate site. The domain and emailadres he used for his initial offer was just 1 letter different from a real domain broker company. The altered url was redirected to this real existing Japanese company.

I haven't paid a penny because a member of another forum made me aware of the scam on time.

The good thing that came from all of this was that I have enlightened myself in the domain business (including reading on this forum. I've learned a lot from you guys; thanks!) and am really excited about the opportunities as well as the domain-community; mainly nice people I've come across who are willing to help and share information.

In the last weeks I've registered & bought more domains (about 60) mostly generic words with .in extension because I truly believe India will be a booming market 'tomorrow'. I think I'm already holding some gems but hey; who doesn't? :)

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers from the Netherlands,
Jan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hello JanO,

Good to have you hear. We would probably get to learn a lot from your experiences with .in.

All the best! See you around :).

•••
Hi JanO
Welcome and best of luck!

•••
•••
•••
Hello Jan .. and welcome to NamePros! :)

One word of caution regarding .in domains ... I seem to have seen somewhere that the requirements for .in have recently or will be soon changing so that you'll actually need an address in India to hold these. I'm not sure of how it is being enforced, although there are likely workarounds.

Take your time learning all these little things .. soooo much to learn when we start .. and lots of little bits of information that can truly change the value of a domain drastically.

Anyhow .. best of luck going forward! :)
Nope. Not the case as of right now - https://registry.in/Policies
And I'd be shocked if a policy change is applied retroactively without an exception policy

•••
Nope. Not the case as of right now - https://registry.in/Policies
And I'd be shocked if a policy change is applied retroactively without an exception policy

Cool .. thanks for clearing that up .. although seems I've seen/heard it from a few sources .. so maybe it's coming ... again .. just what I've heard .. nothing based in fact .. I don't own any .in so I can't say I've payed extra attention in that news one way or the other.

•••
Hello @JanO !

Welcome aboard to NamePros! :)

•••
•••
Cool .. thanks for clearing that up .. although seems I've seen/heard it from a few sources .. so maybe it's coming ... again .. just what I've heard .. nothing based in fact .. I don't own any .in so I can't say I've payed extra attention in that news one way or the other.

Yes this is possible (given the current political climate, I wouldn't put it past the powers that be to take such a retrograde decision). But I hope that it is not applied retroactively

•••
Hi JanO welcome to NP. I am like you, new to domaining, and got the same email. I was excited but skeptical. I posted the email here last week and straight away people could sense it was fake. You can't go wrong asking questions on NP, everyone has been brilliant and so helpful. Good luck with the domaining.

•••
Hi,
Good Introduction.
Welcome to namePros!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back