Dynadot

1and1.com Domain transfers — Faster and easier

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just got this email from 1and1.com:

"Now there is no need for hardcopy fax or postal correspondence for domain transfer requests or acknowledgements — you simply manage domain transfer requests via e-mail. 1&1 has adopted the new streamlined ICANN domain transfer procedure for .com, .net, .org, .info, .name and .us registrations, designed to make transfers of domain names between registrars faster, easier and a lot less confusing.

Customers who own a 1&1 domain have the option to lock or unlock their domain for transfer via their 1&1 Control Panel — you receive correspondence via e-mail if any enquiries or actions are made. Domain transfer e-mails will contain a special link to a website where either the domain owner or administrator must approve the transfer. Without an acknowledgement, no transfer can be initiated."

That eliminates one major stumbling block to using 1and1...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dgridley said:
Just got this email from 1and1.com:

"Now there is no need for hardcopy fax or postal correspondence for domain transfer requests or acknowledgements — you simply manage domain transfer requests via e-mail. 1&1 has adopted the new streamlined ICANN domain transfer procedure for .com, .net, .org, .info, .name and .us registrations, designed to make transfers of domain names between registrars faster, easier and a lot less confusing.

Customers who own a 1&1 domain have the option to lock or unlock their domain for transfer via their 1&1 Control Panel — you receive correspondence via e-mail if any enquiries or actions are made. Domain transfer e-mails will contain a special link to a website where either the domain owner or administrator must approve the transfer. Without an acknowledgement, no transfer can be initiated."

That eliminates one major stumbling block to using 1and1...

as i remember , i've seen this offer last year on a forum.....
i've contacted a customer ...
he told me that isn't a great choice
not very professional..........
so i let it go....
sorry i don't remember the forum...
i'm sure isn't np :hehe:

•••
Actually, tho I don't use their hosting, I've heard it is top rate. Now that the domains can be pushed via email, I'm beginning to like 1and1 a bit more.. (I have over 45 domains regged there, btw).

vimkar said:
so i let it go....

•••
dgridley said:
Actually, tho I don't use their hosting, I've heard it is top rate. Now that the domains can be pushed via email, I'm beginning to like 1and1 a bit more.. (I have over 45 domains regged there, btw).

vimkar said:
so i let it go....
wow you must have a lot of domains, too bad i never seem to have enough to get the domains i want

•••
50 of the domains I have were free .info's and 25 were free .names (from 1and1)... the rest, I paid anywhere from $5.99 to $19.99 for (all reg fee).

I'm not even sure how many I have off the top of my head, well over 100 tho.

1rrr1 said:
wow you must have a lot of domains, too bad i never seem to have enough to get the domains i want

•••
It's about time. Bought a domain that was registered there. Took many, many days and e-mails to get the dang thing transferred. Then they said I would have to pay. I just had it transferred to another account. They are so behind the times.

•••
Do you mean you had to pay to push it from one account to another on 1and1, or to transfer to another registrar?

spikedo said:
I just had it transferred to another account. They are so behind the times.

•••
I've used their hosting before and it's pretty good really, as for domains I haven't really tried because of remarks that people gave about the transferring process. Hopefully everything should be nice and smooth for customers wanting to move domains out of 1&1.

•••
I have used them a lot and have over 250 names there.
I recently had an experiment with a fellow NP-er, and we were able to transfer a domain from one 1&1 account to another in just a couple of hours.
The complaints have frequently been on the speed of the interface. It is slower bevause it's 128 bit encrypted...I wouldn't want it any other way.

•••
This is great news for me. I have 42 domains on 1and1, some of which I'd like to sell off in the future probably. Just to get rid of them. Can't afford to transfer them all to another registrar.

•••
Registerfly frequently has $5.50 domain transfers and they add another year to your domain!

sunken said:
Can't afford to transfer them all to another registrar.

•••
Thanks for that info as well. It kinda defeats the purpose though of the free .info's if you have to pay $5.95 to transfer them. I will probably just let them drop unless I can find a buyer for them in the meantime. I have a few good ones in that bunch. Might transfer some of the ones that are more buyable.

•••
Well, they were only free for the first year anyways... if the names are good or can be developed, the $5.50 to transfer AND add another year to the remaining is worth it IMO.

However, now that 1and1 has email transfers, leaving them there for the $5.99 a year reg seems like an equally good idea.

sunken said:
Thanks for that info as well. It kinda defeats the purpose though of the free .info's if you have to pay $5.95 to transfer them. I will probably just let them drop unless I can find a buyer for them in the meantime. I have a few good ones in that bunch. Might transfer some of the ones that are more buyable.

•••
Oh, sure. Now they catch up with the other real registrars on transferring names. I just spent 3 weeks to transfer away from them!

Its good to hear they are better serving their customers now!

•••
I held off mainly because the $5.99 reg price is so affordable and support is fairly good.. now, if they would revamp the Domain Manager, I'd almost like them "alot".

Anthony said:
Oh, sure. Now they catch up with the other real registrars on transferring names. I just spent 3 weeks to transfer away from them!

Its good to hear they are better serving their customers now!

•••
If you want to transfer the domain to another 1and1 account, you had to pay $5.50. No free pushes. The heck with that. I paid to transfer the domain to anotehr registrar. I don't see how they will survive with that kind of policy.

•••
Oh, ok.. I'd wondered about that as it reads that way.. well, guess I'd have to pass the cost on to the buyer... so, they also charge you to transfer to another registrar? That sucks!

spikedo said:
If you want to transfer the domain to another 1and1 account, you had to pay $5.50. No free pushes. The heck with that. I paid to transfer the domain to anotehr registrar. I don't see how they will survive with that kind of policy.

•••
No, they don't charge you to transfer to another registrar, but if you transfer to another registrar, you'll have to pay the new registrar the new year worth of registration fees.

They DO, however, mandate you pay the fee again when you transfer within 1and1 into other accounts. It's REALLY stupid, and I argued for hours in the past when I had a sale to another member on this forum. Bunch of crap, and I don't care how much they change their ways, I won't be doing business with them anymore.

•••
If you are making a transfer from one party to another, I don't see $6 as a prohibitive cost of doing business. IMHO

•••
Unless you started your auction on ebay at a minimum bid of $9.99... $6.00 eats up alot of profit that way...

andriegel said:
If you are making a transfer from one party to another, I don't see $6 as a prohibitive cost of doing business. IMHO

•••
2 quick questions for you guys that obviously have 1and1 experience.

1. can I set up a free account like you can on enom/gd/anywhere else decent place to buy domain names?

2. to get a domain pushed from me from another 1and1 user - I have to pay the transfer fee just as if i transfered it to another registrar or is it free like with any other (see above).

--Tone

•••
I've never really seen a place to register on 1and1.com just to join. I think you have to have at least one domain with them to have an account.

From what has been reported here, and according to their FAQ, they charge you the $5.99 transfer whether it's external or to someone on 1and1.com.

•••
it is great that they are changine their archaic transfer system, I had great trouble in transferring domains from them last year, in the end they waited a few weeks for the domains to actually expire before I was allowed to transfer them.

Their hosting is very good but don't expect to get help if you have problems, I had many support issues that went unanswered and also they closed an account of mine even tho it was fully paid up and kept fobbing me off, when I finally found someone willing to help they had already deleted my website and told me the back ups dont go that far back (I know I should have a back up myself, I wouldnt have been mad if it was a server problem but when its a case of their incompetence there is no excuse with a company of this size)

•••
I don't see why they would charge you to push a domain to another 1and1 account; that is just greedy.

--Tone

•••
They are greedy. I had to argue with them when I cancelled my hosting on there about giving me the money back guarantee they promised. They finally did give it back after I complained to someone in charge.

As far as the domains, it makes it harder to sell them when you have to cover the initial fee and the transfer fee for a low value domain. The .info ones you have to get at least $6 for to get any profit at all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back