Dynadot

18,000 OVT but NO CLICKS?? How come?

NameSilo
Watch

arminebusch

Account Suspended
Impact
Hello, i just bought madonnaoftherocks.com
Its a popular leonardo da vinci painting. The keyword overture without extension was 17999 + extra OVT towards searches last month!
Im wondering, will this domain receive any traffic? since i bought it yesterday and since i havent received any traffic..??
How come?

Please help

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just because the term is highly searched, doesn't automatically give the domain name link popularity. Link popularity it gauged by number of sites that are linking to your domain name. The linkbacks also have to be quality sites that also have some link popularity or Page Rank. Type-in's may be possible due to the high level of searches, but not very likely. You'd have to park it and play the waiting game to know for certain.

Hope that helps, good luck-
Jennifer

•••
Ditto - Also - I'd suggest you try at least to put some real Content on this one if you wish to receive visitors - The name alone will probably not be enough to pull any of this traffic as anyone searching for something as particular as that will undoubtedly be actually be looking for the Painting - Not a generic parking page ~

Be patient - One day is very little time to Analyze it ~

Good Luck ~

•••
I know, well the parked page leads to some content about Da Vinci etc. , but you're right obviously if its developed, or Pic is put up the domain would receive more traffic, but there is nothing in for me then hehe
I was thinking of 18000 searches were performed , why wouldnt people go to the .com?
Before i perform a search i first go to the .com , then actually search the term!
I was surprised the domain wasnt taken since all the lower OVT domains are taken that are searched for 1000 / month or even less.

•••
•••
I have another question...
Does the domain return OVT results WITH extension, if they aren't taken!
For example... hilaryduffhouse.com
A guy got it on the 16/ Sept / 2004 , his OVT is almost 2000 WITH ext!
How important is Ext in results and also will it show the 2000 OVT ONLY once the domain is taken or also if its not taken?

•••
With extension is always a plus - As a matter of fact , Most prefer that .... - It could show them if it isn't reg'd at moment - But unlikely unless it was a former site ....

Beware though as these results are Not always accurate !!! and can be altered - Not saying this is the case with the above stated name - Just that these results (Especially @ Ovt) are not always accurate ~

Good Luck ~

•••
Man, i never knew there is so much work into finding a good name..
I have no clue how that guy go the name, he go it 8 days ago,, wtf??
Too much work into making money ..

•••
arminebusch said:
Hello, i just bought madonnaoftherocks.com
Its a popular leonardo da vinci painting. The keyword overture without extension was 17999 + extra OVT towards searches last month!
Im wondering, will this domain receive any traffic? since i bought it yesterday and since i havent received any traffic..??
How come?

No, I don't expect it will get any traffic. People type in domain names expecting to get a website. It's unreasonable to expect to find a website at the name of a specific Da Vinci picture, other than monalisa.com perhaps.

Besides, less than 20,000 Overture searches is far to low of a number for a term without extension to expect much traffic from.

•••
So how many OVT searches do there have to be to expect any traffic if i may ask? I tried searching the ones with extensions and cant find a single domain thats not taken...

•••
Umm.. calm down bud, it's only been 1 day. Many peoples' ISPs don't update their DNS information from the web for a few days. Just wait and see what happens in the next two or three days.

•••
Hehe.. no i dont think thats it..
You're right it does take some time, but receiving no hits at all would not be due to that...
I have another question
When searching on overture
If the keyterm : horse to buy.com has 87 OVT
and the keyterm: horsetobuy.com has NO OVT

does that mean the domain will receive any traffic? ..
or do the spaces mean dashes? so that it is horse-to-buy.com

•••
my two link checker shows zero links for "madonnaoftherocks.com" so i dont think you will get any traffic for a while!! unless you start building a site and marketing it!

•••
You can pretty much assume that any with 50,000 - 100,000 Searches that aren't 2, 3, 4 words long or 30+ Characters are gone in the .Com extension ~

You can still find a few single word dictionary Domains (.com) here and there - but most have no Search , Development , or Marketing Value whatsoever !

If you are talking about (Kind of Assuming) purchasing for Re-sell , you've got your work cut out for you indeed ! The other extensions still have a few decent one's .... But of course are generally worth much less.

Unless it's just a name that I really want - or One I know can be Developed / Parked and Pay for itself .... I try to stay away ~ (not that I don't own junk - Because I've got a bad Case of the "Itchy Finger" when it comes to picking up almost anything CHEAP or Free - lol)

Depressing isn't it ? :) Welcome to are World ......

•••
Hehe, ya well so far i got 48 domains and only 3 get ANY traffic lol..
Wow check me out, i thought i had the brains for this business.. maybe i should stick to programming..
But i guess everything takes time.
I might develop some sites see how they do, but then again there is no income.
I just wanted to purchase something with some traffic and let it pay itself off, figured if i could keep doing that the income would grow more and more..
:hehe:

Well we'll see what happens, until then im gonna keep searching the OVTs with extensions this time, even if it gives me under 100 OVT im happy as long as it has some traffic...

•••
You'll become more familiar with the business and Industry. Just like anything else, it takes time, patience, hard work, and determination. Stick with it through the rough and tough times and eventually it will pay off. ;)

If you own 48 names and only a few get traffic, then I'd suggest developing the other names and doing a little marketing on some of them if they are worthwhile to do so. Just registering a domain and parking it won't get the job done (unless it's a great domain with high type ins and traffic) but those kind get snapped up as fast as they drop. PM me a list of your domains you own and I'll give you advice on them. :)

Best of luck to you and just make sure you stick with it and don't give up! :tu:

•••
The first thing to bear in mind with overture is that you are using a "search term" suggestion tool, not a domain suggestion tool. It treats some searches as phrases, others as sets of words that are interchangeable. It does not distinguish between singular and plural. It corrects and alters spelling.
"horse to buy.com" is a search term that the tool suggests based on your keywords "buy.com" and/or "horse". You will get no typins on "horsetobuy.com" with or without hyphens

Second thing to bear in mind: "xxx OVT" is a marketing term fabricated by domain speculators and used almost exclusively on forums such as this. It has no direct bearing on traffic. It's frequently confused (often intentionally) with OVT w/ EXT, which has bearing on traffic.

A high overture simply means that you have picked a phrase similar to what many people search on.

For example: "security online" has an overture of 274K. However "securityonline" has an overture of 0, as does "securityonline.com"

What you can deduce from this is that "security" and "online" are a nice pair of keywords. You'd probably want to use them your meta tags. The domain names using these are certainly worth something as two word names. They would probably gets a few typins, but nothing substantial.

On the other end of the scale you have "price line" with an overture of 45K. For "priceline" you have an overture of 204K, and for "priceline.com" you have an overture of 269k.

What you see here is that "price line" is not a particularly common phrase. What's happened is a company has come along, branded itself as priceline.com, and generated massive brand awareness. This is a name with millions of typins.

People generally only type in certain things, all of which have typein potential

Names that they know such as Hotmail.com.
Names that are branded as dotcom, such as China.com.
Single words and common phrases
Misspellings of the above

If a name has no overture with extension there are a few guidelines you can use to give you a right idea of what sort of typeins you might get.

With a generic phrase like "nice weather we're having" it would generally mean nothing no matter what overture it had. The exception is certain catch phrases, song titles, etc.
A short generic 2-3 word name with >50k overture should expect some typeins, more if it still has an overture with the spaces removed.

Made up words that have any overture will get typeins.

If you're interested in typeins it's worth experimenting. So you blew $7.95 on madonnaoftherocks.com. In the process you learned something. Next time you'll do better.

The thing is that with reg fees and hosting as low as they are maintaining a name is cheap. If you can park it at a PPC search engine and make $1/year more than it costs then you are ahead of the game. Do this with a few thousand domains and you have a nice little zero maintenance earner.

•••
I see, wow you guys couldn't have explained it any better to me.
Thanx for all this support, i understand a little more now... lets hope it gets me somewhere hehe.

Thank you again :wave:

•••
I have a two letter 6 char domain with 350 000 OVT w/o extension and it generates 2-3 hits per week. So you really cant expect much from OVT results without extension, it merely means that your name has good potential, that all the words in it are common and that this particular combination of words is used and easily remembered.

It should be generally easier to develop such domain than one with no OVT search results w/o extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back