IT.COM

14491.COM Stolen Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
is there a way of protecting your godaddy account from this sort of thing?

•••
is there a way of protecting your godaddy account from this sort of thing?

Yes you can enable two-factor authentication on your godaddy account..

•••
•••
I no longer feel bad for people using GD and losing domains. 2-Factor authorization has been around for awhile now and is so easy to set up. At some point, theft becomes the responsibility of the domain owner to take at least minimal precautions. Its like leaving your new laptop on the front porch and then complaining someone stole it.

•••
I wouldn't really fret over stolen domains. It's impossible to pull it off, literally. The success rate of stealing a domain will always be 0.0 and is not possible. Icann will get involved and they can get the domain back and recover it in about 1 minute flat. A thief can't hide the domain, password protect it, etc.... Icann will take it no questions asked from anywhere in the world. They are extremely powerful in the domain world and have the ability to do anything.

•••
I wouldn't really fret over stolen domains. It's impossible to pull it off, literally. The success rate of stealing a domain will always be 0.0 and is not possible. Icann will get involved and they can get the domain back and recover it in about 1 minute flat. A thief can't hide the domain, password protect it, etc.... Icann will take it no questions asked from anywhere in the world. They are extremely powerful in the domain world and have the ability to do anything.
In a perfect world you would be right, but you are wrong! Names have been stolen many times especially the last couple years. name me once icann stepped in and got the name back for the person without the assistance of a lawyer. I will save you the trouble, you can't.

•••
I sent the ombudsman of Icann an email when my domain got stolen and to say the response was disappointing would be an understatement....... too busy flagging down the waiter it seems
~
I have since told the same person there needs to be a holding pattern for name in dispute .... the answer "not my department" ... DO NOT RELY ON ICANN

•••
I sent the ombudsman of Icann an email when my domain got stolen and to say the response was disappointing would be an understatement....... too busy flagging down the waiter it seems
~
I have since told the same person there needs to be a holding pattern for name in dispute .... the answer "not my department" ... DO NOT RELY ON ICANN
Its still the Wild West dog eat dog world. Rules are broken nobody is held accountable, But changes are happening now starting with icann... the next couple years will be very interesting.

•••
I was disappointed to see that the domain name "Stolen.Domains" is for sale, surely this would have been the one to keep and start something up with ?? Guess that would make too much sense

•••
•••
I was disappointed to see that the domain name "Stolen.Domains" is for sale, surely this would have been the one to keep and start something up with ?? Guess that would make too much sense
Just pick it up when it drops next year

•••
thanks for the info eric - is appreciated

•••
•••
Calling ICANN won't do a lot of good as there is a process in place to recover them. You have to file a UDRP with ICANN and dispute it. It costs around 1k if you have an attorney do it. There is a ton of information online about this, and you just simply need to spend 5 minutes and research it. In fact, I don't believe there has ever been one successful hijacking at the end of the process. The other party that stole it has to file a response and fight for it. If they fail to respond, ICANN automatically takes it. It can cost a few dollars in filing the dispute, but that's about it.

•••
~
ICANN typically forwards this issue to the registrar, especially when the latter is in a better position to (try to) resolve it.

Depending on the registrar, they might (not) "lock" a domain name the moment they're notified of a dispute. All that, unfortunately, takes a lot of work.

Meantime, you do what you can.

•••

Hi HireDomains,

After Googling around and if I am not mistaken, you were once a victim of domain theft ? 6462.com if I read correctly.

Could you kindly share how you went about retrieving your domain?

Cheers :)

•••
Kind of weird but I could swear I got a tfa text message from GD but I wasn't trying to log in. Freaked me out a bit.

•••
Kind of weird but I could swear I got a tfa text message from GD but I wasn't trying to log in. Freaked me out a bit.

Someone has your username and password, or someone called into Godaddy using your customer number.

If it's the former, there's a possibilty that you have malware on your machine/device- at some point you may have clicked some link/visited some shady page. You may also have entered you credentials on a page that looked like Godaddy, but wasn't... maybe via some link in an email.

•••
There is one thing I cant understand.
Domain name is not something you can touch or keep in safe box.
ICANN can take away any domain any time.
So what is the problem to ask a new owner to prove his purchase and also check transfer or push process and take away a stolen domain and give it back to owner?
Also is possible to put a thieft name in a black list to avoid him reg more names anymore.

•••
There is one thing I cant understand.
Domain name is not something you can touch or keep in safe box.
ICANN can take away any domain any time.
So what is the problem to ask a new owner to prove his purchase and also check transfer or push process and take away a stolen domain and give it back to owner?
Also is possible to put a thieft name in a black list to avoid him reg more names anymore.
ICANN doesn't take names, which the registrar might depending on circumstances.

A problem is when you add more checks, inconvenience can occur. Some (might) find that okay while others will criticize via social media or so.

While possible to put a thief in some blacklist, a thief --- determined at that --- can possibly get around it. Virtual private networks, aliases, etc.

Take care of your accounts and be vigilant about them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back