IT.COM

discuss 100K Domains - Are you a buyer?

NameSilo
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
100k-club-logojpg-9dcae7b02e7e5244.jpg

I put in a bid today for 100k on a domain and this is the second time I have done that. I thought I would go in big to make sure I have a chance but there are a lot of bigger players in that field than me.

In all my years of domaining I hardly ever get really passionate about a domain unless it fits my business motto to a " T "

Funny how some domains will evoke enough passion from me to part with that kind of cash. I've been fortunate in my business dealings that I can do that and not worry about hanging on to them for a while if required.

So I have a question for my fellow domainers...

1. Have you ever offered 100k or 100k plus ?

2. What was the domain you offered it on ?

Be truthful or I will send @Grilled after you :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Over the years I’ve seen Ferrari Daytonas offered for sale including even at eBay. For such cars nowadays people do come in and bid a hundred or two hundred K or whatever but they must know that the bid is unrealistically low and won’t happen.

There’s a big difference between placing a high dollar bid that might close and one that will never close. Such bids might be in complete good faith but still amount to just dreaming.

•••
Just remember those stats belong to the news organization on the site and not to the domain itself. It appears that the domain owner and the entity running o.canada.com (news organization) are two different people.

Point two... if the news organization cannot make money even with those stats and decides not to buy the domain then who is left as a potential client?

Makes for a good conversation right?

•••
Over the years I’ve seen Ferrari Daytonas offered for sale including even at eBay. For such cars nowadays people do come in and bid a hundred or two hundred K or whatever but they must know that the bid is unrealistically low and won’t happen.

There’s a big difference between placing a high dollar bid that might close and one that will never close. Such bids might be in complete good faith but still amount to just dreaming.
Agreed, Very similar to placing $100k bid on JE.com thread where owner is placing $5-8M comps.

You could get 6 figure advertising on Canada.com from immigration consultants alone, along with travel, and Cbranded product lead generation with that kind of organic traffic, $100k can be recouped in months.

At the end of the day on the domain an offer is an offer, and an asking price is the price, finding common ground is easier said than offered.

With tokenized fractional ownership coming, we will probably see a lot more movement in high end domains like this getting bought up in $1 minimum buy in shares. A name like this would sell out quickly if the public had the chance to buy in at a $1M valuation.

Last edited:
•••
Just remember those stats belong to the news organization on the site and not to the domain itself. It appears that the domain owner and the entity running o.canada.com (news organization) are two different people.

Point two... if the news organization cannot make money even with those stats and decides not to buy the domain then who is left as a potential client?

Makes for a good conversation right?
Not sure why you would think it's a different owner.
Canada.com is owned and operated by Postmedia Network Inc., Canada’s largest publisher by circulation of paid English-language daily newspapers.

I doubt they would mislead the public by claiming ownership if they were only leasing it.

•••
At the end of the day on the domain an offer is an offer, and an asking price is the price, finding common ground is easier said than offered.

Remember I made my offer before price was ever mentioned, it emailed
Not sure why you would think it's a different owner.
Canada.com is owned and operated by Postmedia Network Inc., Canada’s largest publisher by circulation of paid English-language daily newspapers.

I doubt they would mislead the public by claiming ownership if they were only leasing it.

I don't think postmedia actually owns the domain, or so it would appear to me from my conversations with the broker. That is why it runs under o.canada.com instead of canada.com

•••

I don't think postmedia actually owns the domain, or so it would appear to me from my conversations with the broker. That is why it runs under o.canada.com instead of canada.com
$100k, even $250k for Canada.com is considered a lowball offer.

It’s not a realistic offer, I know it’s real money, and if I could buy Canada.com for $100k, I will checkout via credit card in 90 seconds, but I know it’s not going to happen.

It’s a growing population country, it has a massive influx of Asian investors who are paying millions to acquire real estate. There is tremendous immigration growth, and foreign works visas being issued. It has a lot of land mass for growth, it has stable economic, and political climate.

There has to be a 7 figure ask min on this domain. Plus they have employed a high end broker, from which they expect better than average results, plus have to pay a hefty commission to.

It’s a 6 letter .com, to which the .ca is owned by the CDN government and will get a lot of that bleed off traffic for all government functions. It’s just not relatiistic, there is a lot of money out there, and people have access to it.

You never did mention what they countered back at you with?

Last edited:
•••

They do own it but I don't understand why they are selling it unless it's a regulatory thing, doesn't make sense.

Postmedia owns the following as well as quite a few others.

•••
Picture0002.png

I don't understand why they did not use a better Canada logo, theirs looks a lot like another one we won't talk about. :xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

Picture0003.png

•••
I just wanted to add that there are quite a few 100k plus buyers that make themselves known when a 100k plus domain is for sale on np which happens from time to time, But I don't think they would want everyone to know, imagine the amount of messages they would get from people trying to sell them their names.

•••
But I don't think they would want everyone to know, imagine the amount of messages they would get from people trying to sell them their names.

I am currently aggressively purchasing domains and have made no secret of it. If anyone has a premium one word in .ca or .com I encourage contact. That said I get a lot of PM's and if I don't respond then I am not interested in that domain, nothing lost there.

I have to say I am more accustomed to purchasing in the up to 20k range, and have done so numerous times, but like I said if a perfect fit to my business motto comes along I can be convinced to go considerably higher.

Traditionally I bid on .ca's because that is where my market is but a great maple flavored .com is always of interest to me. :xf.laugh:

•••
I offered $100k+ on a domain as I was starting a job. Not thinking of the competitive nature of the domain I was buying with the new job I happened to tell the agent where I had just started working. The agent turned around and called my new boss because he was bidding on the same domain (not sure what happened to confidentiality agreement - he could of just said something to me). It made me look bad my first week of work since it was a competitive name (I wasn't thinking that way - I was thinking this domain is a good investment for the price as domainers do). I got a response from the agent about 15 minutes after my bid telling me what he had done and told me my brand new boss did not recommend me bidding on the domain. I assume my boss was also somewhat surprised his newly hired graphic designer had the funds to bid on such a domain - haha (I made good investment decisions and I have a passion for design). All is great now and we talked it over - we happen to have a lot in common but there is always that trust factor I feel at times. It would of been nice if the agent would of said something to me before calling my boss so I would of just pulled my bid (but shit happens - oh well). I still feel that was a crooked ass thing to do on the agents part, not because it was against his business ethics and probably company policy, but because if he would of just told me I would of pulled right away (as an investor I wasn't thinking competitively).

What are the odds, right? True story.

•••
I offered $100k+ on a domain as I was starting a job. Not thinking of the competitive nature of the domain I was buying with the new job I happened to tell the agent where I had just started working. The agent turned around and called my new boss because he was bidding on the same domain (not sure what happened to confidentiality agreement - he could of just said something to me). It made me look bad my first week of work since it was a competitive name (I wasn't thinking that way - I was thinking this domain is a good investment for the price as domainers do). I got a response from the agent about 15 minutes after my bid telling me what he had done and told me my brand new boss did not recommend me bidding on the domain. I assume my boss was also somewhat surprised his newly hired graphic designer had the funds to bid on such a domain - haha (I made good investment decisions and I have a passion for design). All is great now and we talked it over - we happen to have a lot in common but there is always that trust factor I feel at times. It would of been nice if the agent would of said something to me before calling my boss so I would of just pulled my bid (but sh*t happens - oh well). I still feel that was a crooked ass thing to do on the agents part, not because it was against his business ethics and probably company policy, but because if he would of just told me I would of pulled right away (as an investor I wasn't thinking competitively).

What are the odds, right? True story.
Nice story, what was the name, and who was the broker if you don't mind?

•••
Nice story, what was the name, and who was the broker if you don't mind?

I would rather not say. It was shady but I'm not the type to call someone out even if they did it to me. The domain was being sold by NYSE though and wasn't overly hyped (thats all I really want to say about that - haha).

Last edited:
•••
I made a $550 offer once.. lol

•••
I remember my second year of domaining, I bought a name for $6,200 and I thought I was a high roller, a domain whale LOL, I think about it now and laugh at my own damn self about it.

Of course I never told that I took a personal loan from my bank to buy it LOL, I posted it some years later lol

I went through the teething process in the industry, I can hang with the big dogs, I know my shit, I am a professional domainer, all that teething process that many donainers go through.

Until I woke one day and realized , I am just a part time / hobbist domainer, once I excepted that, life has been good. 👍

All this I wrote above , brought back a memory, a good friend of mine in the industry contacted me , asked me if I would split a partnership with him at $23500 apiece, I was like umm, oooo, errrr, hmmm, I would like to, but, then I froze, he was like, but???? I said, well, I am going to have to be honest with you, I have no access to that kind of money, he was like, oh really!

To cut it short, we are still the greatest of friends today, I love the dude, he is the best, but on that day , i think I had finally realized exactly where my place was in domaining.

Last edited:
•••
i have offer 100k for a LL.com past year that have the 2 letter of my name and last name

•••
i have offer 100k for a LL.com past year that have the 2 letter of my name and last name

Very cool! If I ever had a chance to purchase a LL.com , I would go for my first and last name initials, we won’t ever have to worry about that though lol

Last edited:
•••
I would not even consider an offer unless they threw in a beer.me and poutine.me

•••

(1) Never offered that much! More into paying that for real estate..
(2) If I did offer that much, it would have to be a developed site!

Anyway..hope you do get your Maple at a fair price!

•••
•••
Show attachment 99688

I put in a bid today for 100k on a domain and this is the second time I have done that. I thought I would go in big to make sure I have a chance but there are a lot of bigger players in that field than me.

In all my years of domaining I hardly ever get really passionate about a domain unless it fits my business motto to a " T "

Funny how some domains will evoke enough passion from me to part with that kind of cash. I've been fortunate in my business dealings that I can do that and not worry about hanging on to them for a while if required.

If I offered 100K today on a house that's worth One million dollars+ does that make me a member of any kind of club. Tomorrow I will put in a bid for facebook 20 million shares at $50 a share. Ill be in the billion dollar club. Ive done good over the years in my trading ,so I can afford to pay 50 bucks for a stock that's trading at 150. Anyone knows that Canada.com can be sold to any major company in the world for at least 5 times that in 10 minutes.

•••
If I offered 100K today on a house that's worth One million dollars+ does that make me a member of any kind of club. Tomorrow I will put in a bid for facebook 20 million shares at $50 a share. Ill be in the billion dollar club. Ive done good over the years in my trading ,so I can afford to pay 50 bucks for a stock that's trading at 150. Anyone knows that Canada.com can be sold to any major company in the world for at least 5 times that in 10 minutes.

It will be interesting to see what they get, you may be right on that or maybe they won't get it and they continue to sit on it. Nontheless I went in blind not knowing what they were asking so it was a best foot forward offer. Unfortunately that does max me out for a single domain.

Last edited:
•••
It will be interesting to see what they get, you may be right on that or maybe they won't get it and they continue to sit on it. Nontheless I went in blind not knowing what they were asking so it was a best foot forward offer. Unfortunately that does max me out for a single domain.
Did you ask her for a ballpark?

•••
I made my opening bid blind based on the twitter post.
It was a bold move for me because I did not know who the owner of the domain was. You might think "no hope in hell of getting it" but I tell you when you offer 250k for a domain it does cause a hell of bit of anxiety, as in "what the hell did I just do offering that for a single domain"

When they refused my second offer it was kind of a relief because it would have been a large chunk to lay out on a single domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back