Dynadot

100% network uptime guarantee ... Is it real?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have found out that Centsi offered 100% network uptime guarantee.
I am interested in their dedicated server plans.
I wonder how can they be so confident in providing uninterrupted hosting services?
Do you know where its Data Center is located?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The best thing is to address this question to your provider, the most realistic figure about uptime is 99,999%.
As I have already written the uptime figure is usually a sum of network uptime and server uptime, so make sure what network is used by Centsi. Another factor is whether your provider uses brand-new or refurbishes server equipment.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't trust that figure in the slightest.

As HQHost says, it's essentially impossible to get 100% uptime. At least, it's impossible with a standard dedicated server package (as below, you'll be looking at $x,xxx or $xx,xxx per month for near-100% uptime)

Now it *is* possible to get incredibly high uptime (99.9999%)/near 100% uptime barring any major, trans-state emergencies simultaneously happening. But the cost would be incredibly high.

Firstly, you'd need a cluster of mirror dedicated servers (each with redundant power supplies, and in a high quality DC with all the 'bells and whistles') in two geographically separate locations (call one 'Primary' in.. Texas, and one 'Secondary' in.. CA)

Then, if one of the servers in 'Primary' went down, one of the other servers in the cluster would just 'kick in' and serve up the content (whilst the one that just went down could get fixed). This ensures very high redundancy.

However, the DC itself could have a major power cut or emergency (like The Planet's DC which had an explosion and was shut-off for a while, or another DC a few months ago which was raided and completely shut-off for a while by the FBI, etc). Hence, if this happened, the 'secondary' cluster would kick-in.

So yeah - it *is* possible to get very near 100% uptime, but only if you are wanting to pay $x,xxx or $xx,xxx per month. And even then you can't guarantee 100% uptime 24/7/365.

But to say 100% uptime on a <$100 package? That's impossible sorry :)

•••
You have to read the Terms of Service for the guarantee. I have come across offers like this from very reputable hosting providers that offer their servers at heavily discounted prices. The majority of them state, that they will offer 100% uptime to your server. This means they will ensure it has power and a connection to the internet. You still have to manage your server, etc, otherwise software-wise it can still go down.

There is nothing wrong with them offering 100% uptime as my servers that I run are up 100% of the time for the past 3 years minus one month the power at the DC went out for a short period of time when it calculated out to be 99.98%.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I have found out that Centsi offered 100% network uptime guarantee.
I am interested in their dedicated server plans.
I wonder how can they be so confident in providing uninterrupted hosting services?
Do you know where its Data Center is located?

Read their About us page. It says they are in Colorado.

When deciding on where you can lease your dedicated server/hosting from, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

- Where are you located?
- Where are the majority of your visitors located?
- How many sites are you going to host?

There are more, but those are a couple of the main ones.

•••
That is network uptime not uptime for the servers. I believe you need to understand that and divide that

•••
ServerPoint is correct in this one. Network Uptime means exactly what it says. Technically speaking your network should be redundant and not really have an issue running 100% uptime barring a natural disaster of rather large proportions. This is not to be confused with server uptime (although many hosts do this to trick) which is a different arena. And one that you most certainly won't have continued 100% uptime.

•••
Just read their SLA - it should give their definition of "network uptime" as well as give a description of their guarantee

•••
Just read their SLA - it should give their definition of "network uptime" as well as give a description of their guarantee

Or just have a conversation with their representative and make sure if yopu doubt.

•••
Is it real?

AFAIK there is no network or reasonably long age, without any partial or total downtime. 100% real uptime is just a wish. At times, the Internet a whole has "issues" such as after Michael Jackson's death.

•••
I would like to add that my colleague has been extremely satisfied using centsi.com web hosting services. It is true that centurion systems offers 100% network uptime. His web sites are always up and he recommended me this company because it has nice hosting experience dealing with it.
I personally think that 100% network is possible.
Don't forget that there is network and server uptime.

•••
I personally think that 100% network is possible.
Belief is never dieing. AFAIK, partial network downtimes/iffy connectivity occur even with the best providers. :)

•••
It depends what this 100% means.

I personally can offer 100% network uptime - being multihomed by several telecommunications companies and sharing data live across the country means - even if one side of the country blows up it won't go down, and when one site goes down the website(s) are still online.

As far as the network at each datacenter, all routers etc etc are running live thus the website theorhetically shouldn't go down.

This is provided via a confidential SLA with strict agreements.

Yes it can be done - just by the right people.

•••
You need to know their network providers. They possibly guarantee that according to their experience

•••
I assume that is quite difficult now to be sure in something for 100%. That is life and you do not know what will happen tomorrow

•••
I personally think that there's no such things as 100% network uptime guarantee, as there might be accident occurs sometimes? Actually, this is the way that most companies use to promote their products and services.

•••
100% Network up time and server up time are different.

Both can be done. It just costs a lot.

•••
Well i don't believe such a thing! We don't have 99,9% uptime, altough we have been only like 7 hours offline in whole year :S

•••
According to many reviews about centsi.com services, I would like to point out that you will be satisfied dealing with this company because it is true that it provides 100% network uptime. It also offers nice dedicated server plans at affordable price. It will be a good and reliable place for you I think.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back