$1,700 sale of a subdomain...

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch
My warning: Great, there's been a few sales... I don't think that means it's time to start grabbing them up or anything ;) But...

http://www.sedo.com/links/showhtml.php3?Id=1069&language=us

LONDON & NEW YORK - Interest in US.COM and EU.COM domain names is rising. Matt Bentley, CEO of Sedo.com, LLC, recently reported "We've just sold a CentralNic domain, MEDICINE.US.COM, for 1,300 EUR (about $1,700 USD). This is one of the highest value sub-domain sales that we've seen. For example, JOBS.EU.COM sold for only $350 in comparison. This could be a sign of good things to come for CentralNic domains in the secondary market."

CentralNic, Ltd. runs the domain name registry for a group of short, country-specific, second-level domains like UK.COM, CN.COM, WEB.COM, etc. UK.COM is the most popular followed by EU.COM, US.COM, and WEB.COM. These domains are available through a network of resellers and several ICANN accredited registrars like eNom and Dotster.

Joe Alagna, CentralNic's North American Marketing Manager, stated "We've always taken a conservative position on the after market value of our domains, trying not to create any false hype. But deep inside, I've always felt that they would eventually spur after-market sales."

After-market sales are the fuel that gets many people excited about buying domains. News of the earliest after-market domain sales in the late 1990s is what put the domain name business on the map. Sedo.com provides the largest online secondary market for Internet domain names. Other Centralnic domains that have been sold at Sedo.com within the last year include:

supernova.eu.com € 200 2/05

single.de.com € 375 7/04

inc.eu.com € 150 5/04

lkw.de.com € 399 5/04

restaurants.eu.com € 190 4/04

sex.eu.com € 3,400 4/04
WWW.CENTRALNIC.COM - Founded in 2000, CentralNic is an independent global domain name registry committed to making it easier for Internet users to establish new and distinctive domain names with regional and country-specific identities. CentralNic has a portfolio of 20 domain names, including EU.COM (Europe), UK.COM (United Kingdom), & US.COM, (United States).

Contact-London: Daniel.Schindler@CentralNic .com Phone: +44 (0) 870 017 0900.
Contact-US: Joe.Alagna@CentralNic .com Phone: +1 (909) 606 9175



-Allan
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
might be time to get some premium keyword subdomains...
 
0
•••
Thats what i have been saying all along :)
I have about 40 uk.com's because they are very popular here :)
 
0
•••
exactly, I hate when people keep on saying "subdomains, keep clear of them, they are worthless"

I have a few central nic names too.
 
0
•••
Zeeble said:
exactly, I hate when people keep on saying "subdomains, keep clear of them, they are worthless"

They are probably right. Speculators have registered tens of thousands of these names and at the end of the day only a handful of known sales have occured, that. I wonder how many names the people making those three figures sale have registered compared to what they actually sold?
 
0
•••
They obviously do have value or they would not sell.
I wonder how many domains in TLD extensions people have registered in order to sell 1.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
They are probably right. Speculators have registered tens of thousands of these names and at the end of the day only a handful of known sales have occured, that. I wonder how many names the people making those three figures sale have registered compared to what they actually sold?

Actually you are wrong. Many names already registered are done by end users who develop them! not resellers. Resellers registered very little central nic names! nothing like the co.in and .in registrations!

Central Nic names are worth alot to the right uk end user, not sure about usa. They have Good seo abilities.

In about 1-2 years you will see them go for about $x,xxx on average for the right keywords :)
 
0
•••
I agree with that, they are just a bit slower at taking off than TLD's. But they will become worth more.
 
0
•••
looks cool hehe. Thanks for the info Allan.
 
0
•••
Huge sale for subdomain. Looking good.
 
0
•••
Thanks for the info. I just regged HTML.web.com :)
 
0
•••
domain.addict said:
Huge sale for subdomain. Looking good.

there have been much bigger sales.
 
0
•••
Zeeble said:
They obviously do have value or they would not sell.
I wonder how many domains in TLD extensions people have registered in order to sell 1.

you can't just look at the good sales to establish value and forget about all the names that don't sell if a speculator has a portfolio of 1000 similar quality names and manages to sell 10 of those domains each year year for $200 ea that portfolio is worthless.
 
0
•••
Im not talking about large portfolios here, I am talking about a small portfolio of around 10 or so centralnic domains.
 
0
•••
0
•••
if you own domains like webhosting.uk.com , webdesign.uk.com email.uk.com , download.uk.com, game.uk.com arcade.uk.com lawyer.uk.com etc you cannot lose in the future. I can't make the same assumption on us.com because i am unsure, but i do know Many uk businesses use uk.com and its pretty well established among UK internet biz sites!
 
0
•••
snoop said:
Have seen alot of speculators with these names over the forums and ebay. What do you base you comment on that speculators haven't registered many?

here some recent sales and appraisals threads,

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=88160
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=83385
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=77662
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=76913

by those threads in fact, those are just a few domains, and nothing like 1k mentioned earlier.
 
0
•••
Zeeble said:
by those threads in fact, those are just a few domains, and nothing like 1k mentioned earlier.

not sure what you mean by 1k, those threads are just example of speculators registering these subdomains.
 
0
•••
much as I do not generally like subdomans (sorry zeeble...) the .us.com subdomain looks interesting......
 
0
•••
Yes there is money but be selective!

There is no doubt cash to made from buying keywords here but U have
2 be selective.

I have personally sold a centralnic .eu.com domain for $11,000 but it was a great domain.

Yes the sceptics are wrong sub domains can be bought and sold...sure centralnic own us.com eu.com and uk.com when they sell the subdomains they are under huge legal obligations to make sure these sub domains work
100% of the time and they have to protect the rights of the sub domain
holder ot\r they will get sued big time. I own many of these domains and
regularly get offers but I am holding onto them because I reckon in the long term they are greeeeaaaat investments...but when a good offer comes along I sell!!!

So the sceptics r wrong and have missed the boat as the best domain are
already held.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back