Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The Government of Montenegro recognized the potential worldwide appeal that .ME could have and decided it should be operated as a generic name space to gain the maximum benefit for Montenegro. The Government issued a public RFP in November 2007. The goal of the RFP was to find a Registration Agent that could operate an international registry, provide world class backend registry services, and provide the marketing and promotional muscle needed to make .ME a worldwide success. Ultimately, we believe they made an excellent choice!

The contract was awarded to doMEn, d.o.o., a Montenegro based joint venture (doing business as .ME Registry) whose partners are Afilias Limited, GoDaddy.com, Inc., and ME-net d.o.o.

Landrush will start June 6 till June 26, domain names with more than 2 applications will go into Auction.

Go Live on July 17.

SO, what do you all think about the coming .me?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Amenzl,

Thanks much, truly appreciated. That video was a blast, it was fun having real time questions coming in while live.

Ozark is a nice geo, also a tourist area in Missouri (the Ozarks is what the hilly area of southwest Missouri is called).

•••
15 premium .me will be sold on NameJet starting September 25.

Some of them are reaalllly good! My favorites: host.me, review.me, answer.me

•••
rate.me, free.me and friend.me are my top 3 favs though they're all great.

•••
•••
textos.me ('texts' in Spanish) is on Sedo with a 1,400$US bid. hmm...afterhack phase of .me evolution?:)

BTW it's a fresh reg. very interesting case IMO

•••
Great ;)

I would love to see my Household.Me also on a sedo auction!

Would it worth a good amount in your opinion guys?

•••
•••
Today, I regged 2 more .me domains... They were GoCarts.me and Perms.me.... I think they fit the ext well...

I really like the .me domains, even though I've only had 1 sale so far.. I'm not in a rush to sell my .me domains, I am in this for the long haul.. I plan on renewing my best .me domains for 5 years, then see what happens....

•••
•••
Query about surprising comment I received on non domain related forum about .ME

Hello,

I am new here and hope I am posting in the right thread.

Being rather ignorant when it comes to domains I thought I had better ask the experts about a surprising comment I received on a non domain/IM forum which was added as a PS.

The comment:

PS. What are you going to do when Montenegro decides to enforce its TLD?

I have a .Me domain for my blog. (AlexWebley.Me).

I have asked the person for some clarification from the poster as follows (no reply as yet):

As far as I know, there are no issues pending which will affect policy. Do you know something I don’t? The .ME domain administrator even encourages a wide variety of registrations: Welcome to Domain.ME - the official registry for all .ME Domains
Go Daddy, the world’s premier domain registrar, is run by Bob Parsons, who recently shifted his personal website from a .TV to a .ME (Go Daddy Founder & CEO Bob Parsons' Personal Blog). Presumably Bob Parsons would not have moved his website if there is likely to be a problem.
Any insights you have will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Am I missing something about Montenegro domains please? Is there some kind of pending problem with .Me domains?

Thank you.

•••
textos.me ('texts' in Spanish) is on Sedo with a 1,400$US bid. hmm...afterhack phase of .me evolution?:)

BTW it's a fresh reg. very interesting case IMO

Nice, I hope it does well. I have txd.me waiting for a decent offer.

•••
Hello,

I am new here and hope I am posting in the right thread.

Being rather ignorant when it comes to domains I thought I had better ask the experts about a surprising comment I received on a non domain/IM forum which was added as a PS.

The comment:

PS. What are you going to do when Montenegro decides to enforce its TLD?

I have a .Me domain for my blog. (AlexWebley.Me).

I have asked the person for some clarification from the poster as follows (no reply as yet):

As far as I know, there are no issues pending which will affect policy. Do you know something I don’t? The .ME domain administrator even encourages a wide variety of registrations: Welcome to Domain.ME - the official registry for all .ME Domains
Go Daddy, the world’s premier domain registrar, is run by Bob Parsons, who recently shifted his personal website from a .TV to a .ME (Go Daddy Founder & CEO Bob Parsons' Personal Blog). Presumably Bob Parsons would not have moved his website if there is likely to be a problem.
Any insights you have will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Am I missing something about Montenegro domains please? Is there some kind of pending problem with .Me domains?

Thank you.

I doubt they would have released .ME to the whole world in such a blaze of publicity if there was any such risk. If you want to be absolutely sure, you're probably best off contacting the .ME registry: Domain.ME

•••
any sales report for .me please?

•••
I doubt they would have released .ME to the whole world in such a blaze of publicity if there was any such risk. If you want to be absolutely sure, you're probably best off contacting the .ME registry: Domain.ME

That's right. .ME registry is the best place to be contacted for this kind of clarification. As far as I know there are no big issues or disputes related to .me in the public domain.

•••
Just regged RaceCars.me and Dyes.me... I think they both fit the ext well... To me, .me domains are a long term hold..

I plan on waiting a min of 3 years to see what happens with this ext.. I was planning on firesaleing my me domains, but something tells me that might be a bad idea... I'd rather pay renewals for a couple of years , rather than sell at discounted rates.....

I think this ext has a long way to go, but I think that some day, all of us .me supporters will be rewarded for our forsight..... Either that, or we'll all just lose a lot of money.....

•••
just got my first me feuer.me

•••
After writing my article/rant I've been thinking more about the whole Geo Targeting thing. If .ME registration was released worldwide just last year and Google have now made it possible to Geo Target .ME domains, why is it still not possible to Geo Target other globally available ccTLDs? For example .IN domains - anyone, anywhere in the world, can register a .IN domain for any purpose. The extension has existed since 1989 and has been available worldwide for a number of years - since long before .ME - so what is the difference between .ME and .IN and why is Google treating them differently? Could there have been pressure put on Google by GoDaddy perhaps, as they are commercially involved in .ME? It just doesn't make sense.

:?:?:?

•••
i think that became possible because the .me use by people from around the world is many many times higher than the use by Montenegro. Whereas .in is used primarily by people from India.

•••
So Google will only apply rules correctly to any ccTLD if enough people pressure them to do it? It's ridiculous but you're probably right. Google are a joke.

•••
any sales report for .me please?

Sold Helsinki for 75

Selling these via $1 auction- After almost 2 days the current offer is $7-Bin is 79
jetcharters.me 2009/10/16
cysticfibrosis.me 2009/10/17
carpaltunnelsyndro.me 2009/10/17
irritablebowelsyndro.me 2009/10/17
838.me 2009/10/25
sio.me 2009/10/26
sgo.me 2009/10/27
caving.me 2009/11/18
consolidating.me 2009/12/28
polyester.me 2009/12/29
celta.me 2010/01/01
nwt.me 2010/01/04
cbi.me 2010/01/04
south-korea.me 2010/01/06
hypnotism.me 2010/01/18
petgrooming.me 2010/01/18
privateschools.me 2010/01/18
boardingschools.me 2010/01/18
lessonplans.me 2010/01/18
biodiversity.me 2010/01/18
endangeredspecies.me 2010/01/18
9-5.me 2010/01/18
holisticmedicine.me 2010/01/19
anxietyattack.me 2010/01/19
oolongtea.me 2010/01/23
chipping.me 2010/08/01

Tried to sell Teas/Tests/ThePhilippines to some end users and owners in other extensions. Asking for a $60 starting offer.

Basic Replies:Only deal with com/net, Never heard of .me, No Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
If .ME registration was released worldwide just last year and Google have now made it possible to Geo Target .ME domains, why is it still not possible to Geo Target other globally available ccTLDs? For example .IN domains - anyone, anywhere in the world, can register a .IN domain for any purpose.

It just doesn't make sense.
Well, the ccTLDs were created for a reason, in the case of .me/.tv google is adjusting to actual usage. It doesn't make a lot of sense to apply the same approach to other 'globally available TLDs' as doing so would defeat the purpose of ccTLDs. In the case of .me, the majority of domains are used by entities outside Montenegro so a case can be made for geoneutral status, I'm not sure the same holds true for .in for example.

•••
Well, the ccTLDs were created for a reason, in the case of .me/.tv google is adjusting to actual usage. It doesn't make a lot of sense to apply the same approach to other 'globally available TLDs' as doing so would defeat the purpose of ccTLDs. In the case of .me, the majority of domains are used by entities outside Montenegro so a case can be made for geoneutral status, I'm not sure the same holds true for .in for example.

I'm not denying that the default country for .IN should be India, or the default country for .ME should be Montenegro. It just doesn't make sense that users are prevented from changing a domain's default country to the country they are in if the ccTLD's own registry has allowed them to register the domain in that country. If the registry for a ccTLD did not want people in other countries to use the domain, they simply would not let them. In the case of .ME and .IN, as well as many other ccTLDs, such restrictions do not apply, so who are Google to contradict this?

•••
I think it is a question of critical mass. Just because *some* people use ccTLDs for purposes unrelated to the country of origin, does not mean they should be diluted and treated like gTLDs for SEO purposes.
Actually many if not most ccTLDs are more or less unrestricted these days, but the purpose remains the same: target the local users.

•••
I think it is a question of critical mass. Just because *some* people use ccTLDs for purposes unrelated to the country of origin, does not mean they should be diluted and treated like gTLDs for SEO purposes.
Actually many if not most ccTLDs are more or less unrestricted these days, but the purpose remains the same: target the local users.

I'm not disagreeing with the purpose of ccTLDs but it's the ccTLDs' registries themselves who have made the decision to allow people to register them in any country. It is these registries who set the rules, so I just don't understand why Google seem so intent on having their own set of rules. The whole point of Geo Targeting a domain is to tell Google what country it is in. If I am allowed by the .IN registry to register a .IN domain in the UK, why won't Google allow me to tell them that the domain is located in the UK? It just doesn't make sense.

Like I said, I'm not entirely disagreeing with what you're saying - my point is simply that the registries set the ruels and, if their rules state that you can register a domain in any country, Google should follow these rules like everyone else.

•••
I'm not disagreeing with the purpose of ccTLDs but it's the ccTLDs' registries themselves who have made the decision to allow people to register them in any country. It is these registries who set the rules, so I just don't understand why Google seem so intent on having their own set of rules. The whole point of Geo Targeting a domain is to tell Google what country it is in. If I am allowed by the .IN registry to register a .IN domain in the UK, why won't Google allow me to tell them that the domain is located in the UK? It just doesn't make sense.

Like I said, I'm not entirely disagreeing with what you're saying - my point is simply that the registries set the ruels and, if their rules state that you can register a domain in any country, Google should follow these rules like everyone else.

There is something more than that. .TV was meant to be used globally from the very beginning, whereas .IN is primarily for users in India. Allowing people from any part of the world to register .in or any other ccTLD names is nothing to do with it.

In my opinion, what applies to .TV also applies to .ME. The way every now and then we see big boys auctioning .me names should be more than convincing that .me would not be confined to Montenegro only.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back