Domain Empire

How about a sticky thread "send to sedo auction" in this section?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

Reese started a thread in the short domains section for sending short domains to auction at Sedo. People can post 5 domains and set the start price at $60. Great idea I think. Why not have one in this section or the auction section for longer domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
timphelan said:
7. No wording will be allowed that implies favors or even asking to send the domain to auction.
Just post the domain with a description of why it has value, where it's registered and
how much is the minimum bid to send to auction. There may be just one minimum
as Reece had set it at $60. Or perhaps have separate threads/sections for different levels?
I think "I" screwed that one up.
I posted something similar, that sounded like I was asking for a favor.
Like, "I'd even buy it back from you if you ended up not liking it"
I know, I know...I'm an idiot!!!
My intentions were very good though!
I was just VERY excited to be part of that, and well...
I agree with you about the wording!

Why this is SO important to ME...

I started off, doing everything Back-A$$wards.
I regged a ton of names, THEN found NP much later on a fluke.
I don't have the luxury of KNOWING all of my domains fit into
the $60.00 or over category.
Since joining NP, I TRULY believe my purchases & hand reg's
have become alot better.
And definitely worth at least $60.00.

So, In order to throw abunch of my names out there,
in one great showcase, rather then listing in individual threads,
would be very important to me.

People will already be in that section, looking to purchase domains.
Maybe, a couple of my LLLL's might fit a world wide enduser better because of acronym placement?
Maybe, some of my LLLLL's are better than some I see selling for $200.00+?
Maybe some of my .tv's are better than some which are selling for big $?
Maybe some of my purchases in the aftermarket, are worth more to someone else?
I have some great keywords w/some creative prefixes that could do great?
Some 2-worders that are prob. perfect for someone out there?
I would like to take my chances on someone seeing them all in one central
location, and hopefully if they were interested, kicking off an auction,
that would COMMAND a much larger audience.
By kicking off the auction, I mean...READY & WANTING to purchase my domain for $60.00
and hopefully higher if more bids were placed.

More people, more ideas, more $$$.

So, for someone like me, who hasn't exactly found their perfect niche
as of yet, this is critical. I assume there are others in the same boat.
I will take my chances on the occasional failed sale, but they WILL be reported.
I sell Ebay also, and that is not a perfect system.
Nothing is, but you have to start somewhere.

And I don't see how this will ever have a detrimental effect on NP.
My Sedo name isnt NPRedRock.
It's ME on my own.
I dont think that WHERE the bid starts matters.
Like Reece said, I could get my neighbor to set up an account,
just to start it off.
Why do that, when we can do it here,
with people who like to purchase domains, and do it daily!

So, I have seen alot of the daily sales reports,and I'm sure some of my domains will be in some future sales reports, I'm just not sure which ones as of yet?
I guess that is why this is VERY important to ME.

Last edited:
•••
-Nick- said:
I think you are not getting it. I am not saying responsible people will become irresponsible. I am saying irresponsible people will start abusing it. ;)

Nick, in order to abuse something there must be an advantage to make it worth abusing.

This section does not add something that makes it worth abusing.

•••
If I want a domain on Sedo auction, I'll get it on Sedo auction... I have people who'll set that up for me.

Unethical? I really couldn't care less what anyone in this thread thinks on that point tbh. The "circumvention" (if you want to call it that) of Sedo's auction system is the direct result of their own ineptitude in facilitating the auction process.

You can think of this thread/forum proposal however you'd like, but imho, it's better than what's going on right now (friends setting up auctions for friends and/or the use of second and/or hacked accounts).

•••
Reece said:
If I want a domain on Sedo auction, I'll get it on Sedo auction... I have people who'll set that up for me.

Unethical? I really couldn't care less what anyone in this thread thinks on that point tbh. The "circumvention" (if you want to call it that) of Sedo's auction system is the direct result of their own ineptitude in facilitating the auction process.

You can think of this thread/forum proposal however you'd like, but imho, it's better than what's going on right now (friends setting up auctions for friends and/or the use of second and/or hacked accounts).
Yes Reece but that is what we have to stop. That is what we have to bury deep into the grounds.

We have to fight this type of people otherwise someday our own houses will get burned.

There was a proverb "PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN'T THROW STONES"

We all are domainers and we should fight against every small opportunity that is being created for people to abuse it.

Privately many might be doing it. But they also know privately that it is unethical. And now as Namepros is going to encourage it. I knew they will privately abuse it.

This is exactly like telling that if I want to kill someone I will kill him or get him killed. I have people who can do that and I don't care. But deep inside I know it is not right. So over there comes the point of ethics.

•••
-Nick- said:
Yes Reece but that is what we have to stop. That is what we have to bury deep into the grounds.
We have to fight this type of people otherwise someday our own houses will get burned.

-Nick- said:
This is exactly like telling that if I want to kill someone I will kill him or get him killed. I have people who can do that and I don't care. But deep inside I know it is not right. So over there comes the point of ethics.
Nick,
Do you just realize the example you wrote here?
Burning Houses...Murder...

You equated the planning of a perfectly legal auction...
to a plan for MURDER?!!!

Wow,
This is really getting out of hand!

Last edited:
•••
I am very surprised at some of the comment from some members in this thread :(

I will wait to see how sedo feels about this.

I dont feel any further comments from me would be a good idea ;)

•••
I really don't mean to come across as rude or opportunistic, but at the same time anything that's not illegal or against the terms I agreed to when signing up is "fair game" as far as I'm concerned. I don't go out of my way to find "loopholes", but I won't pass up on legitimate, legal opportunities that present themselves.

I'd rather be the hedge fund manager making $1B/year than being the "ethical" stockbroker who can barely provide for his family because all his clients are moving to brokers who get better returns...

Once again, strictly my opinion here, but I think you're doing alot more good for humanity if you make $1B/year and give it all away to charity than if you adhere to the strictest of ethics all the while your own family survives on food stamps.

Difference of opinion perhaps... I don't see either being necessarily wrong.

mellowmasher said:
I am very surprised at some of the comment from some members in this thread :(

I will wait to see how sedo feels about this.

I dont feel any further comments from me would be a good idea ;)

•••
Reece said:
I really don't mean to come across as rude or opportunistic, .

I said in one of my earlier posts that I was 100% sure you had nothing but good intentions :D

I think all domainers need more exposure of their names. My only concern is the few that will abuse this.

Yes, as you pointed out it is already going on behind the scenes. Im just not sure its a good idea to bring it out in the open.

I spoke some time ago to RJ about having a revolving showcase feature here at namepros on the front page. (alittle like the sedo listing already there), but for members names that dont cut the top slots. This would be a great way for members names to be seen here. Maybe ;)

•••
After thinking about this thread, this is my opinion.

If Namepros is going to cater for a push to auction section, let it be a push to Namepros auction section, not a push to Sedo section.

Otherwise use the external auctions section.

Sedo hasn't provided an easy way of setting up auctions to be pushed where
A) the seller alerts the buyer to be aware that they want the auction to be pushed
B) the domain goes instantly to auction after the bid has been made as the seller has already given authorisation for it to be an auction.

This is the way I pictured it to be done before Namepros members presented ideas to help Sedo cater for their auction marketplace at the following thread: http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...gestions-for-auction-feature-sedo-needed.html

•••
Pushing to a Namepros auction would certainly increase accountability :)

TBH, I think the External Auctions section should be renamed... I was under the impression (by the title "External Auctions") when I initially made the offending thread that only ongoing auctions elsewhere were allowed there. Seeing as the title gave me this impression, I've never even bothered to visit the section -- I already visit the external auction sites, so why would I need to be reminded of what's there?

Judging by how many threads in that section have pre-existing bids versus how many have no bids and by how my "send your short domain to sedo auction" thread had 50+ replies inside of a day versus not even 50 replies for the entire External auctions forum over that same period of time, I'm guessing I wasn't alone in this false belief that the section was for pre-established auctions only...

Maybe reorganizing that section is all we really need? Why not have subforums for the different auction venues and/or implement some of the other ideas mentioned in this thread (eg. starting bid amounts, type of domains, whether there are bids or if you're looking for a start, etc?) The section is really hard on the eyes as is -- and like I said, it's really confusing, even to a mod whose supposed to know how Namepros works! :red:

VURG said:
After thinking about this thread, this is my opinion.

If Namepros is going to cater for a push to auction section, let it be a push to Namepros auction section, not a push to Sedo section.

Otherwise use the external auctions section.

Sedo hasn't provided an easy way of setting up auctions to be pushed where
A) the seller alerts the buyer to be aware that they want the auction to be pushed
B) the domain goes instantly to auction after the bid has been made as the seller has already given authorisation for it to be an auction.

This is the way I pictured it to be done before Namepros members presented ideas to help Sedo cater for their auction marketplace at the following thread: http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...gestions-for-auction-feature-sedo-needed.html

•••
•••
-Nick- said:
Privately many might be doing it. But they also know privately that it is unethical. And now as Namepros is going to encourage it. I knew they will privately abuse it.

Inviting someone to BUY your domain for a x minimum amount provided their bid will not be exceeded on Sedo's auction platform is not unethical whatsoever.

Implying it is unethical is dishonest towards people including myself, that find this way of creating legitimate opportunities, simple everyday risk versus reward business worth pursuing.

Of all the arguments against this idea i have seen this would be the prize winner of the one that is the most ludicrous.

Comparing sending a domain to auction agreed between two parties...to murder for hire plots... D-:

The sky is falling...I'm telling you...it's faaaaaaaaaaaling

•••
Yup it is falling for me :D

But that was my opinion and it will remain like that. :) Because making one thing good takes years and ruining it takes just some seconds. So maybe sky is falling on me. But it is because I care.

•••
It's all cool bro.

It's good you care about Namepros so much and nothing wrong with believing it's "Better to be safe than Sorry". :)

-Nick- said:

But that was my opinion and it will remain like that. :) Because making one thing good takes years and ruining it takes just some seconds. So maybe sky is falling on me. But it is because I care.

•••
-Nick- said:

Nick, sounds like you are you implying that those who would like to see this happen somehow don't care about this forum! I assure you this is not the case. It appears from this thread that the majority would like to see this available to members on here. Honestly I cannot see what harm it would do to namepros other than enhance what is already the best domainers forum. I cannot see what is going to be ruined??

•••
Yes reece :) I think you might have seen the progress also so far on this issue :)

It is taking some shape. Now if we haven't debated this long then the better output wouldn't have come.

•••
Intelligent debate is never a bad thing :)

We made alot of ground, gotten alot of good ideas, received alot of positive criticism... If anything does materialize from this thread, it's because of everyone who's contributed so far. B-)

-Nick- said:
Yes reece :) I think you might have seen the progress also so far on this issue :)

It is taking some shape. Now if we haven't debated this long then the better output wouldn't have come.

•••
I understand you care Nick and i think that's great and i am glad you do.
But you're seeing something that isn't there, a threat that isn't there. :)

•••
:D Yes. But precaution is better then cure.

And I loved that "Global Warming" one :D

•••
Whew,
Very Nice,

No more accusations of schill bidding,
No more Burning Houses,
No more Murder plots...

This thread is shaping up to have a Happy Ending, after all!
Awesome!

Now if we could have just thrown some romance in here,
It could've been a great movie!

Nick, You're one CRAZY brother,
but I think thats kinda cool!
Gotta stand up for what you believe in!

•••
How about just a sixty dollar thread?

As in:

Person posts in thread that their name is for sale for $60. They are then required to post the Sedo link to the name.

If someone bids, fine. If not, then people don't want it, or don't want to pay sixty for it.

You aren't asking for someone to push it to auction, you aren't looking for schill bids. You are posting a name for sale with a sixty dollar price tag. The seller then has the option to accept the sixty or send it to auction. Put in a disclaimer in the first post that the thread is for sedo auctions and that the buyer may or may not end up with the name at that price.

Toss in a couple of "namepros is not responsible for sales on auction sites such as sedo but is showing the links to them if people are interested" type disclaimers.

Because that is basically all that is needed:
xxxxx.info is for sale for $60 (Sedo link here)

My thought is that if that isn't allowed, then sedo links in signatures are the same thing as well, so why would that be allowed? Or links to personally sales pages, or links to ebay listings, etc etc etc.

•••
yes,

why limit it to short names?

•••
I think we have a decent set of guidelines going. Anybody hear from Sedo regarding their take on this idea?

•••
I was speaking with a domainer earlier today who does alot more volume than me through Sedo and he told me that a few of his recent auctions have been cancelled because he had a "large amount of auctions started by the same person".

Obviously there's a big difference between having a single friend starting all your auctions and having a community of 90,000 members starting auctions on domains that genuinely interest them... Somewhere between the two extremes, I believe we'll find Sedo's stance.

It'll be interesting to see what that is...

DomainRaiders.com said:
I think we have a decent set of guidelines going. Anybody hear from Sedo regarding their take on this idea?

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back