IT.COM

How about a sticky thread "send to sedo auction" in this section?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

Reese started a thread in the short domains section for sending short domains to auction at Sedo. People can post 5 domains and set the start price at $60. Great idea I think. Why not have one in this section or the auction section for longer domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think it's a good idea also. Even if it was put up in the For Sale area.

•••
I think it's a great idea as lots of domainers think we would be offended by a $60 bid on some of our domains so they don't make a bid and those domains never see the light of day on Sedo! However, I think there should be a rule that once you have posted your 5 domains you cannot post again for 7days. This would prevent the whole thread from being swamped.

•••
hawkeye said:
I think it's a good idea also. Even if it was put up in the For Sale area.

It is a good idea, and probably better suited in the For Sale section, or External Auctions section..

•••
I like the idea, but I also think it should go in the fixed price section.

•••
Will it be okay with sedo's terms and conditions?

I am interested in it.

•••
I think this is a great idea and actually something I was secretly hoping for after seeing Reece's short letter thread.

•••
As long as there's no compensation (financial or otherwise) for making the offer (eg. you made the offer because you were genuinely interested in that domain for $60), then there's nothing wrong with it in the Sedo TOS.

I was thinking about making a thread in this section too, but felt it would be best to see how the short domains section sedo auction thread goes first and see what we can learn from it. Being that only short domains are allowed there, it will undeniably prove easier to manage, but we're still having a hard time getting across some basic rules to make sure the thread remains enjoyable and fair for everyone.

Hopefully the thread can serve as a stepping stone towards creating a similar thread dedicated to the larger (longer) domaining market.

james2002 said:
Will it be okay with sedo's terms and conditions?

I am interested in it.

•••
I thought it was a great idea too and would like to see this in the other sections also. And It's a good way to see if your name is worth at least $60 to someone. ;)

•••
I'm kinda thinking the thread would go well in the Auctions forum. I don't want to put it in External Auctions as I'm quite aware far fewer domainers visit that section... We have a couple suggestions of putting it in the Fixed Price section, any other thoughts?

•••
To me it doesnt matter where it goes.
I will find it, as it will be near the top of the active threads, OFTEN.
I see this as a must for myself.
I would love to list many of my diverse names, that could be worth $60.00 to some NPers.
Then to kick it off in Sedo, just opens our doors/sales
that much further, to the rest of the world!
Many domainers names could be worth at least the $60.00!
So worst case scenario is, you win a domain that is only $60.00!
best case scenario, well who knows if there are people outside of NP, that are looking for that specific niche/domain!
I think its a brilliant idea, for those of us who dont have the extensive collection of LLLL's.
thx to all who help make this happen!
I will, if nobody else wants to.
take Care,
Red Rock!

•••
I just placed it in the Auctions forum. It's stickied + highlighted, so it'll be pretty hard to miss, but here's the link anyway :)

Anyone with suggestions on any improvements we can make, feel free to let me know (you're welcome to pm me if you prefer).

I felt the Auctions forum was best because people going there are either looking to bid on auctions or looking to start auctions -- to use domainer terminology, these guys are essentially this thread's endusers :)

•••
Reece said:
I just placed it in the Auctions forum. It's stickied + highlighted, so it'll be pretty hard to miss, but here's the link anyway :)

Anyone with suggestions on any improvements we can make, feel free to let me know (you're welcome to pm me if you prefer).

I felt the Auctions forum was best because people going there are either looking to bid on auctions or looking to start auctions -- to use domainer terminology, these guys are essentially this thread's endusers :)
Reece,
Anyone tell you lately...

YOU DA MAN!!!

Thx!

•••
hehe :hearts:

It just came to me yesterday as something we really needed. I've been getting pms almost daily lately asking me to send domains to Sedo auction and I just thought that if this was happening to me, it must surely be happening to others out there! It's great to see some people already getting auctions started they wanted for awhile and I really hope we see some nice enduser sales created from the additional exposure Sedo auctions give :)

Red Rock said:
Reece,
Anyone tell you lately...

YOU DA MAN!!!

Thx!

•••
I'm too fond of you and can't give you any more reps :guilty: ...But if I could, I would! Thank you, Reece :tu:

Good luck everyone!

•••
Reece, I just listed an auction to get this idea going, but it occurred to me that it would probably be better to have a thread by itself, as opposed to a sticky post. Reasons are that a sticky post will get to be eternal, especially with 'bumps' to 'not forget my name' reminders, chat etc. A thread would have individual notations on each name in, or wanting in, auction. Also if it was limited to two names per posting, and those names had to be in the title, it would be easier to scan and see what's there, and keep track of one's posts.

Just thinking here..... :zzz:

..also I think it should be limited to '2' names a day. There's some 40,000, or whatever amount, members here let's not forget!

•••
Sorry - But I personally see this turning into "Shilling For Favors" ....

I'm Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this at all Folks. If you can't post the auction in our "External Auctions" section and get a bid without favors - There was no interest in the domain(s) to begin with "IMO".

•••
Added some names. Thanks Reece.

I do think that it would be best to have this in the external auctions sections though as it is an external auction. If it works for many than the external auctions section will actract more interest.

Last edited:
•••
Mark said:
Sorry - But I personally see this turning into "Shilling For Favors" ....

I'm Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this at all Folks. If you can't post the auction in our "External Auctions" section and get a bid without favors - There was no interest in the domain(s) to begin with "IMO".
Mark,
I understand your point.
But let's just say for the sake of arguement...
Everyone is not on as often as some.
Most dont look deep thru all of the pages, for whatever they may or not be looking for.
Isn't it a great idea....
Both short domains, and everything else,
to have it all centralized in one area?
I may be looking for something in my niche, then you post after me, and I see you have something as attractive...
that I wasnt even looking for.

Now, to comment about the warm fuzzy feelings...
There is a HUGE sense of community here!
If I am interested in a couple of domains at Sedo,
say they are both similar.
Lets just say, one of them were yours.
I would bid on yours first, because of this NP bond.
And yes I would feel good, cuz I'm helping a friend/colleague out.

In business, are there favors?
All the time!
Are we asking for favors?
No
Just a chance to get into a market we cant get into w/out a little boost from a friend.
You still have to buy it, if you bid.
try not to slam these ideas, Please.

I see on your profile you have been here since 2004.
And your trader rating is 136.
Thats awesome.
You already have a ton of friends and colleagues!
You probably could have 10 people at any given time
get one of your domains into Sedo for you.
Some of us who are newer, don't have that luxury,
so this kinda gives us a little boost.
I hope you dont view this as a bad thing.
I'd hate to have one more great opportunity taken away because you dont have warm fuzzy feelings.

Thx,
Red Rock!

•••
What happened to the thread? It's gone.

•••
You took the Effing thread down???
WTF???

Oh, I see the send short domains to Sedo thread still exists!
Thx Alot!

You arent gonna mess with that thread, but theres a problem with this new one???

Too many friends already jump into that thread???

Last edited:
•••
Red Rock said:
Mark,
I understand your point.
But let's just say for the sake of arguement...
Everyone is not on as often as some.
Most dont look deep thru all of the pages, for whatever they may or not be looking for.
Isn't it a great idea....
Both short domains, and everything else,
to have it all centralized in one area?
I may be looking for something in my niche, then you post after me, and I see you have something as attractive...
that I wasnt even looking for.

Now, to comment about the warm fuzzy feelings...
There is a HUGE sense of community here!
If I am interested in a couple of domains at Sedo,
say they are both similar.
Lets just say, one of them were yours.
I would bid on yours first, because of this NP bond.
And yes I would feel good, cuz I'm helping a friend/colleague out.

In business, are there favors?
All the time!
Are we asking for favors?
No
Just a chance to get into a market we cant get into w/out a little boost from a friend.
You still have to buy it, if you bid.
try not to slam these ideas, Please.

I see on your profile you have been here since 2004.
And your trader rating is 136.
Thats awesome.
You already have a ton of friends and colleagues!
You probably could have 10 people at any given time
get one of your domains into Sedo for you.
Some of us who are newer, don't have that luxury,
so this kinda gives us a little boost.
I hope you dont view this as a bad thing.
I'd hate to have one more great opportunity taken away because you dont have warm fuzzy feelings.

Thx,
Red Rock!

I can see your point - But , I would never ask a friend or colleague to bid on an item even if I thought they had sincere interest. It's just who I am ... (Not to mention I don't use SEDO)

The actual thread(s) are on hold for now folks ... I'm not the only person on Staff here with concerns ;) I applaud the suggestions and efforts to give the members what they want - But we really need to discuss it some before Leaping in with both feet.

•••
Just my personal opinion here, but... Shilling is alot more common than probably any of us would like to admit or believe.

Maybe I'm not the most morally conscious person out there... But I see 2 very different kinds of "shilling".

1. Asking a friend to place a bid for you on a domain. This friend is prepared to purchase the domain if he wins so in essence he is a legitimate bidder.

2. I'm not happy with the price my domain is currently at on auction. I ask a friend (or do this myself using a proxy or different computer) to place a bid which my friend (or me) have no intention of honoring and is solely being placed to milk extra money out of a legitimate bidder.

#2 is FRAUD. Plain and simple. It's taking advantage of the system and it's ripping off someone who worked hard for the money they're using to place their bid. I do not condone this and wish these perps would be sent to prison just like anyone who commits large scale fraud in the offline world.

As for #1... Getting a buddy to say, in example, start a no reserve LLL.com auction for you with a $60 legitimate bid. If the LLL.com goes for $60, your buddy just got an LLL.com for even cheaper than the iReit mess... Is that really a shill? Are these things anywhere near as serious as each other? I personally don't have a problem doing this and if this is indeed shill bidding, I would have to say that there exists a very serious shill bidding problem on Namepros and other domain name forums alike, one which I take part in myself.

I can certainly understand that #1 may lead to #2, but this is most certainly not the case in most circumstances. I've started probably close to a hundred auctions for other domainers here over the last year, partly because they were friends, and partly because it offered me a chance for a real bargain on many occasions. Never were there any favors exchanged. Never was it "I'll start your auction if you do this for me..." It was merely a "Yeah sure I'll start your auction." This kind of favor happens in business, it happens in politics worldwide,...

•••
I see the short domain I bid on that went to auction is on hold. Maybe Sedo saw this thread? I don't see anything wrong with this thread really. There's no favors being exchanged. The domain I bid on I would love to have. The domains I put in the short domain thread are worth more than $60 IMO because I know I would have to take a bit of a chance to get them started at $60. Hmmm.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back