Dynadot

Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
NamePros welcomes BIDO as it's newest sponsor.

Check out Bido's revolutionary Social Auction Platform at www.bido.com
All auctions start at $1 with no reserve.

The list of upcoming auctions is here:
http://www.bido.com/Auctions

This is a discussion thread for comments, reviews and feedback about Bido and it's services.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The owner Sahar Sarid was arrested. I think he's out on bail and his trial is still pending, but I'm guessing part of his bail is that he's not allowed to touch the internets :)

It's case number BA464483 at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center (LAC) Department 030:

http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcalendar/ui/
http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcasesummary/ui/

Unless he sold it and I missed the memo, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole.

•••
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update.
I knew Sahar was facing charges but since the site was still operating I was under the impression it had transferred ownership.
There are still names running up the pipe, but I guess @The Durfer got lucky and found the buyers email addy to close his deal.

Anyone else bought or sold off that platform in the last couple of years?

Peace,
Kenny
If you bought the site from someone facing charges, wouldn’t you put out a press release and have a gigantic “Under New Management” banner site-wide in the header? Even if it was bought before all the drama, wouldn’t you put that up the day the previous owner was arrested to make it more clear someone else owns it? I would.

•••
The owner Sahar Sarid was arrested. I think he's out on bail and his trial is still pending, but I'm guessing part of his bail is that he's not allowed to touch the internets :)

It's case number BA464483 at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center (LAC) Department 030:

http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcalendar/ui/
http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcasesummary/ui/

Unless he sold it and I missed the memo, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update.
I knew Sahar was facing charges but since the site was still operating I was under the impression it had transferred ownership.
There are still names running up the pipe, but I guess @The Durfer got lucky and found the buyers email addy to close his deal.

Anyone else bought or sold off that platform in the last couple of years?

Peace,
Kenny

•••
There's a million things to do with one's time - gawping at people's actual severe injury/death isn't a valid one. Not for anyone who thinks of themselves as a worthwhile use of skin anyway.
I had a friend who was a forensic pathologist. He was one of the most level headed, kindest, smartest people I've ever known. He was a good husband to his wife and a great friend. He also happened to be fascinated with death, dismemberment, etc, etc. Even as a child he was fascinated with human biology and death. His Mom took him to view an autopsy when he was 11 after he bugged her for a year about it. He had hundreds of pictures and he sometimes showed them to people who weren't afraid to look at such things. He had a large collection of stuff you would probably be offended by and he even kept a human skull (from an unidentified victim) on his office shelf.

OK, we understand that you are at the other end of the spectrum. The rest of us are somewhere in between.

People die and sometimes they die in horrific ways. Animals too. Everyone knows why people slow down to look at car wrecks. Death is fascinating to people. People look at gory pictures/videos for different reasons. It's not illegal to look at or post pictures of death/dismemberment. In my own opinion it's not even unethical, unless a family member asks a site owner to remove something and they don't. You disagree. So what? Your opinion on the matter is no better than mine or anyone else's.

It's ok if you want to climb up on your moral highground and look down at us heathens below, just don't come down and tell us we're heathens. Trying to force your "morals" on other people won't change a thing.

You probably don't like Grand Theft Auto either. :rolleyes:

•••
I guess I am gonna be shot down in flames here :bah: but it is just how I feel at this time about the domain industry.. reselling is dead or just about there with sales not really worth the time of day. Great if you can find an end-user but the world economy is such that names are not really first on their list to spend their $ on..

I could go on about how I feel about ext and how search engines love and hate them but don't wish to bore....

Domaining has changed...

Just me .. and how I feel as I said...

•••
Michelle, I've had a real dry strike for about since about the end of 2008. Not even making enough to keep the portfolio. My boss (wife) has put spending restrictions that have made me drop domains. But in the last month, things have started to pick up. I've had a couple of enduser sales and a few interested potential (and not so potential) buyers. I think domain names are a good measuring stick of the economy, and if this is not just a fluke, this might be the start of something good (I am usually too positive). Selling to endusers as well as trading would improve if what I think is correct. Oh, I talked to the bido support team about a redirection problem with the nameservers and they gave me a credit to speedup the auction.

Here it is in my signature :)
|
|
v

•••
The good thing about eBay: Literally thousands of of domainers look there daily. Bad: Most 'serious' domainers never use eBay. So eBay is still great for small/medium sized domainers.

yes ebay is better not much but its better all the same

•••
•••
Has anyone else seen bido.in? Has it always been there or is it something new?

Archive.org shows the first Bido.com connection as Aug 2015

I also see similar on Bido .org, net,.co, cc, info, me, tv, us, ws, de, mobi, ch, co.uk, mx, .es, co.in>.in

•••
Aren't these prices what brought Bido DOWN the last time?

They started with $XXXX domains and eventually ended with low $XXX domains and then I believe they said that they cannot cover their expenses with those prices so they have to take Bido down to reconsider their plans...

BarPictures.com would have done better on Sedo auction without all the attention and promotion that Bido gets...

I exptected MUCH more from Bido, they should have at least launched with some REAL premium domains.

•••
Archangel said:
Yeah, a lot of website visitors don't stay on a site for more than 2 minutes anyway. I see where you're coming from. But it's still a bore no matter how it's put. I can go into NP auctions and sit there for 2 hours, just staring at a screen, and I'd get excited through the whole process. With BIDO, I could go there, take a glance, get bored with the domain auctioned and leave. Yes, I'd only be wasting 10 seconds of my life doing that. But BIDO won't make any real money with my 10-second visit and unless their domains get better, they'll likely receive a lot of these short visits by uninterested people.

And domain quality might go up or it might stay where it is. Sure, they had big sales in the past but unless they get up to SEDO/Afternic popularity status, I doubt many people would risk listing ABC.com there with a $1 starting bid/no reserve.

agreed.

Bido is the most boring domain website I have seen since I joined this industry.

Supposdly when you make a 'come back' after crash, u need to come up strong but not with that same lame domain names and attitude, join us, join us, but instead make it more bit creative with better names to auction so people want to join.

So far, Bido :( thumbs down. the power of Zero is Zero

•••
I think Bido is great way to bring publicity to the world of domain names..Even with all the problems, anything that brings attention to what we are doing as far as domain names is a good thing...

•••
It was interesting that the first domain received terrible marks and sold for $800+ and the last domain received mostly good reviews and sold for $100.00.

I give them a lot of credit for allowing both the good with the bad. Kudos to Bido for the balanced commentary.

•••
jhansen said:
I think it's not fair to point at DressOrganic as some sort of evidence of Bido's system being flawed.
Key elements of Bido's system are highlighted in home page banner elements "1 premium hand-picked domain per day, etc." Is DressOrganic a premium domain? If not, the system is flawed.

•••
They do not say anything, and I understand that it might take quite a few days, due to the number of names they have received for consideration. I submitted some of mine probably 10 or 15 days, and I have not yet heard from them. Anyway, in case you sell them in the meantime, I assume you can consider yourself as being free from obligation, after you have waited for one week or more without an answer.
But you are right, it would be good that they tell people how much time it could take.
On the other hand, if they have received thousands of domains, even for the good ones, it might take quite a long time in the queue...

•••
Media Hound can you please get to the question many have asked you ? How far out have you committed ? Meaning if you already have 60 accepted domains then someone submitting knows they are at best looking at May. This should not be a problem for you to answer. Thank you

Last edited:
•••
At least some of them are owned by other people, like today's.

•••
Today's auction on Bido is WinningPick.com

http://www.bido.com/Auction?name=winningpick.com

The auction started about fifteen minutes ago.
The expert commentaries were very positive, stop by and take a look.
Be sure to try out the platform if you have yet to give it a spin. ;)

•••
the requirements (penalty for sellers in case reserve price is not reached) respects the basic principle of Bido (let the market decide about the price) and should allow to keep out poor quality domains or outrageous reserve prices for average domain names.
It will be interesting to see what the lowest reserves are allowed vs. the predicted selling price. Will Bido allow a $100 reserve on what might sell for $300? If so, they'll only make a total of $24 for the sale...and a mere $3 if it doesn't. Not good.

Plus, this will only work if the reserves are quite a bit lower than what someone (Bido?) considers what will be the expected selling price. As seen from some of the domains offered lately, selling prices are not only very subjective, but lower now than most times.

Anyone who sets a $1000 reserve on a domain, better be sure the domain is truly worth more than that (I'd say at least double to get interest), and Bido better be sure of that, too. Otherwise, the owner is out $30 when it doesn't sell, and Bido only makes a paltry $30 for a day's listing. $30 per day on a no-sale reserve isn't going to cut it.

So now, everything will come down to Bido's expertise at predicting the selling price. That's the only way they can hope to offer any domains that will sell for above the reserve, and the only way they are going to make enough money to stay in business.

Multiple auctions per day might help increase Bido's daily revenue, or at least cut their daily losses. Unless the single domains are worth $xxxx and above, how else will they make any money?

•••
I think you can cover all three things, but you just need to be creative.

For example, do a variety of offerings to cover most buyers:

Monday Monsters: only domains valued at $10k or more
Teriffic Tuesday: Good domains valued up to 10k
Wednesday Niche: A different niche each Wednesday (finance, travel, furniture, poker, etc)
Budget Thursdays: Reserves no higher than $200 or so
Friday Fun: Bundles of domains...3 - 100 domains selling as a package.

Lots of things possible. Advertise them as coming up, and I'll bet it would get lots of interest....and would be fun. Maybe even an toss in a mystery domain that has a guaranteed valued of $500 or something.

This would be possible now, but even more so if multiple domains were auctioned...and even more so if the bidding was open all 24 hours.

Last edited:
•••
The quality of what was submitted for a few days of scheduling was low so we had to infuse house domains to pick up for those days. We introduced a new reserve pricing model that will be bringing up the quality level as now we are allowing sellers to submit their better domains and attach a reserve requirement with it.

•••
Mediahound,

Have you thought about changing how the seller picks the day and time of his or her auction? I found that if you only allow the seller to pick from an "available" date and time rather then all dates and times would help alot. I found I would pick a date and time and find that it was already taken.

Just a thought.

Eric

Hi Eric,
You can pick whatever date and time you want, up to a month out and must be at least a week for preview as well. We don't close auctions on the weekends (the tool wont let you) and the tool will also ask that if your exact time conflicts with another auction at the very same time, that you pick a few minutes away in either direction.
Regards,
Jarred

•••
Hi Eric,
You can pick whatever date and time you want, up to a month out and must be at least a week for preview as well. We don't close auctions on the weekends (the tool wont let you) and the tool will also ask that if your exact time conflicts with another auction at the very same time, that you pick a few minutes away in either direction.
Regards,
Jarred

Thanks, I get it now! Rep'd.

Also, it really does seem slow or I freeze up a lot on the site. Is it me and the many computers that I use or is this a common thing for all users?

•••
•••
Thanks cmason, means a lot to us.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back