Domain Empire

Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
NamePros welcomes BIDO as it's newest sponsor.

Check out Bido's revolutionary Social Auction Platform at www.bido.com
All auctions start at $1 with no reserve.

The list of upcoming auctions is here:
http://www.bido.com/Auctions

This is a discussion thread for comments, reviews and feedback about Bido and it's services.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At least some of them are owned by other people, like today's.

•••
NameTrader.com said:
At least some of them are owned by other people, like today's.

Thanks Steve, originally when they first launched they showed a house sign next to it but was wondering if this was still the case on bido version 2 ?

Just seemed to be alot of "My" related domains in the first lot.

MyAstrologist.com

MyEntitlement.com

MyCabana.com

•••
I'm sure they've gotten a lot of submissions lately and probably were going for a little bit of a "My" theme in recent auction. Seems to be working for today's.

•••
I'm floored at the current price ($546) of MyAstrologist.com!

Wow.

•••
Congratulations to both buyer and seller @ today's Bido auction.

Galel said:

Wow.
Me too. It's mind boggling. :-/

•••
Galel said:

Wow.
Astrology is a big market. But yeah, I'm shocked it went that high. I was thinking $100-$200.

Best person to ask is NicRac, he is a member here and was one of the bidders.

•••
This is the power of Bido. I am not shocked at all by this price.

•••
$590 for that domain? Maybe if it was Astrology, or even astrologer.

Results 1 - 10 of about 39,500,000 for "astrology"
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,550,000 for "astrologer"
Results 1 - 10 of about 131,000 for "astrologist"

The fact that the plural version was available for hand reg yesterday says it all.

Good Luck to the buyer. I hope he has a plan for it. If a reseller is paying that type of price in this economy then I would be amazed.

Brad

Chef Patrick said:
Astrology is a big market. But yeah, I'm shocked it went that high. I was thinking $100-$200.

Best person to ask is NicRac, he is a member here and was one of the bidders.

Last edited:
•••
Normally, how long should it be after we submit the domian names?
I already submit one.

JackpotSecret

I do not know how long i should wait for they to make the decission.

•••
ty said:
I already submit one.

JackpotSecret

judging by the recent names accepted/auctioned yours would be perfect

•••
~ The 34 Year Buzz!! said:
How about one domain per day in four or five different categories?

I've suggested this awhile back. And I still think it'd be best to do :)

•••
Thx BMGV

your post makes my day better :)

•••
ty said:
I already submit one.

JackpotSecret

Yes. If today's auction is any indication, you're sitting on a goldmine, and if you get this listed at Bido, expect resellers old and young alike to bid this up into the stratosphere.

I'm looking at Amsterdam vacation brochures now in the event one of my domains gets accepted. I'll have my fingers crossed that we both have domains that make the cut. :blink:

•••
•••
Is there no way that Bido could let us know if our domains are not going to be accepted? Just a cursory 'No thanks' email would suffice IMO.

•••
I am a new member, but a long time lurker. I am just curious about Bido's business model. The 1 domain/day auction concept from a revenue/ commission perspective sounds risky to me. Even if they sell a name for $1000 on average... how much commission are they going to keep for themselves? 10%? 20%? That's not going to pay their bills. Either they get bigger sales (much bigger ones) or they will have to do more than 1 auction/day. And I didn't notice any 3rd party ads on their site either. Just my 2cents.

•••
nothing wrong with lurking christina , you views seem reasonable , i think it s a hard place for them ..... jump right in or stand back ??? ....ummm

•••
Christina Xing said:
I am a new member, but a long time lurker. I am just curious about Bido's business model. The 1 domain/day auction concept from a revenue/ commission perspective sounds risky to me. Even if they sell a name for $1000 on average... how much commission are they going to keep for themselves? 10%? 20%? That's not going to pay their bills. Either they get bigger sales (much bigger ones) or they will have to do more than 1 auction/day. And I didn't notice any 3rd party ads on their site either. Just my 2cents.

You make a lot of sense. Assuming they keep 10%, they might not have made $1,000 this week. How are they gonna stay afloat? Even this theme makes me think: I think Rick's was up for about 2 weeks but BIDO's skin on NP didn't seem to last half of that... could they not afford to keep it here longer? Or did they see that it wasn't helping much?

•••
Christina Xing said:

Yes, these are reasonable questions. I believe their cut is 8% so even less than you had imagined.

I think their long-term business model involves opening their platform to other sorts of auctions for unique items; the example they gave was classic cars. Some of those can go for many tens of thousands of dollars which would probably be a pretty decent return. I find it difficult to imagine that a car owner like that would agree to a $1 reserve, though.

ripley.

•••
To keep their current business model Bido really needs to upgrade the quality of the domains being auctioned, or increase the number of auctions.

Bido auctions 1 domain per day, that is 260 auctions per year.

With some basic math. Let's assume the average auction sells for $2000. Bido's 8% cut is $160 or $41,600 a year. I am sure Bido has future plans of some type of expansion.

Brad

ripley said:
Yes, these are reasonable questions. I believe their cut is 8% so even less than you had imagined.

I think their long-term business model involves opening their platform to other sorts of auctions for unique items; the example they gave was classic cars. Some of those can go for many tens of thousands of dollars which would probably be a pretty decent return. I find it difficult to imagine that a car owner like that would agree to a $1 reserve, though.

ripley.

•••
Len said:
Is there no way that Bido could let us know if our domains are not going to be accepted? Just a cursory 'No thanks' email would suffice IMO.

I agree
I believe many of us already submitted some domains to bido and the only thing that we got so far was a receipt of our submission.

Hello X,
We've received the following names for consideration:
X
Thank you for your submission.
You will be contacted if one or more of your domains is accepted into the Bido.com auction.
--
This message was automatically generated by Bido.com

•••
Len said:
Totally agree.

•••
The lack of notification when a domain isn't accepted to (insert live auction platform here) seems to be endemic to domaining. Disappointing.

ripley.

•••
Once we open the platform up a little more, there will be another round of approvals. Essentially this is why we don't send out a finite notice at this time.

•••
MediaHound said:
Once we open the platform up a little more, there will be another round of approvals. Essentially this is why we don't send out a finite notice at this time.

I see. That makes sense and is a somewhat more hopeful answer. Can you give us, then, an idea of when you might be looking at expanding your offerings? I would guess that most people posting here have submitted some names to you and have more than a passing interest (myself included).

Thanks,
ripley.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back