Dynadot

A lack of creativity in domain name creation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Adrigan

Established Member
Impact
It seems to me that there is a lack of creativity in domain name creation.

I sense that there is a fixation/obsession with keywords so that the domain will appeal to Google, a private company that is an effective monopoly and seems to do whatever it likes. Remember when Google were upstarts and said “Don’t be evil” - well, they have become what they once despised.
This happens with many challengers to the status quo, in that once they begin to grow, they can soon become the status quo and act in ways that they used to criticize/despise others. Apple is another such company, and as much as I like their products (except their poor Mail program), approaching $3 trillion in revenue hampers your ability to being a challenger, an innovator, fresh.
Perhaps if Steve and Jony were still there, Apple could still have those attributes.

But I digress.

I haven’t ever focused on creating domains based on keywords. It just seems that the keyword space is so overcrowded that getting noticed becomes harder and harder over time. I also don’t really understand this space, having not explored it and I also take exception to being at the mercy of the evil G, who behave as judge, jury & executioner, to say the least of their antics.

Looking at the some of the recently created internet companies (last 15 years or so), there are many two word company names made up of dictionary words, but a good number are names that are not real words and their names are just made up.
This is the area I have focused on for the past 10+ years and I have been surprised at how many names have been available that I have come up with. Over the last few years, I have added over 200 names to my portfolio and I am coming up with name ideas all the time. Although not all my name ideas become names I register.

I don’t expect many of my names to appeal to lots of people or that they will sell for eyebrow raising amounts. But like all seller/buyer scenarios, it only takes one person to like a name I have created and like it enough to want to buy it. Given the population of internet users, which is always growing and that useful domain names are becoming increasingly rarer, I think that won’t be hard to achieve.

I usually come up with names by something I see or hear, sometimes swapping letters around or adding 1-2 letters, sometimes replacing letters. I have also “discovered” names, serendipitously, by making typos when I’ve been typing something, like an email or a url. It is surprising to me how often this happens and I am stopped in my working flow. I pause for a while and think about what is on the screen. Sometimes, its nothing or really just junk, but sometimes it looks and sounds great to me.

Usually, I need to like how the domain sounds and if it passes the “radio test”. I also have to be able to see what market the name might address or appeal to and whether that market is immature/mature and/or overcrowded and/or populated by upstarts. Domain names are very low cost, but if you register many iffy names or names with fringe appeal, the costs add up.
I check the visitor figures for each of my domains as they are coming up for renewal and take a decision on whether to renew or let them expire. I don’t let many go.

I tend to focus on 5-8 letter domains (4 letter domains are almost all taken up, the worthwhile ones that is, but I don’t spend any time searching just for these), but I might go beyond 8 letters if the name sounds very good to me.

I do have some domains that are real words, including people’s names, but this is less than 5% of my portfolio.

If you have approached domain name creation in ways other than by using keywords, perhaps you’d like to share your method or comment on mine.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a fun way to come up with names, but will be tough on sales in the long run.

You'll most often be registering names that no company is currently using, meaning you have no existing potential buyers. So like you said, you do indeed have to:
  • hope that someone else likes this name that no one else has liked enough to buy
  • hope that this person wants to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to acquire that name
If you're still fairly new in domaining, you may want to slow down on the registrations to see how these ones sell before investing in a lot more.

•••
If you're still fairly new in domaining, you may want to slow down on the registrations to see how these ones sell before investing in a lot more.

I am not new to domaining, but I have been buying up more than I have done in past years. It depends on the name really and when I come up with the name. Just like writers block, I can go for a long time (months) without registering any names and other times, I will register 20+ names in a week or so.

You'll most often be registering names that no company is currently using, meaning you have no existing potential buyers.
Having existing potential buyers would mean other people may have come up with a name and register it themselves. Its therefore a timing issue for me and I have lost a few names in the past because I waited too long between seeing if the name was available and then attempting to register it, perhaps as a result of domain sniffers. For the low annual cost, its more than worth it for me.

•••
hope that someone else likes this name that no one else has liked enough to buy
Or that no-one has come up with the name in the first place?

•••
Welcome to the forum @Adrigan.

Would you describe your talents as a domainer hobby ('for fun'), or as domain investing ('for profit')? Is the net income from it essential for you?

•••
Welcome to the forum @Adrigan.

Would you describe your talents as a domainer hobby ('for fun'), or as domain investing ('for profit')? Is the net income from it essential for you?

My domaining is certainly not for fun, as I have my names up for sale (I don't know who would register domains just for fun?). But I do have fun in the process of creating the names, playing around with variations, etc.
I am in domain names for the long haul and do not anticipate selling names quickly.
I've netted quite a good sum since I started many years ago but the income is not essential.
I have invested what I can afford to lose and no more.

•••
What I like, might be not others' choice in Brand Name. But good is universal. Everyone will agree that Gal Gadot is a pretty girl. Or diamond is beautiful, more beautiful than Amethyst, that's why diamond is more expensive than Amethyst.

In domaining, there is already a guideline which domains are valuable, which are not. Short domains is more valuable than long domains. English language domains are more valuable than Arabic language domains. In brandable domains (not language), CVCVCV domains are more desired than random spelling name. Spellable 4 letters domains are more valuable than not spellable domains. West likes 4 letters without X, Z, while Chinese likes without A,I,U,E,O. Colour + Animal domains are desired domains. LLMedia.com domains are wanted. Everyone agree what is good in domain name, that's why 1 word English word with maximal length 6 letters are expensive. That's why you can't hand reg LLMedia.com.

You can register many many domains you like. But as investor, we must consider what market most desires. Keywords domains are easily marketed than brandable (random make up words) domains.

Last edited:
•••
•••
But good is universal. Everyone will agree that Gal Gadot is a pretty girl. Or diamond is beautiful, more beautiful than Amethyst, that's why diamond is more expensive than Amethyst.
Actually, that isn't correct. Good, pretty, beautiful, all vary, depending on the eye & mind of the beholder.
Gal Gadot is not for me (never heard of her before your post). She is OK I guess but I would not say she is pretty. Same goes for precious stones and everything else. Its all opinions and not facts.

Saying everyone ***** about something is always going to be wrong, unless its things like "Do you like breathing?" "Do you like drinking water?", "Do you like eating?", "Do you like sex?", "Do you like being alive?".
A person can come up with some negative aspects of human life too that will apply to everyone.

You can register many many domains you like. But as investor, we must consider what market most desires. Keywords domains are easily marketed than brandable (random make up words) domains.
This comment is to do with your preference for the massively overcrowded keyword space. But you (and others) don't have to register names "what market most desires". This is the trap that many domainers fall into and who perhaps cannot see the alternatives or don't care about them.
Why engage in fighting with many millions of other keyword-focused domains, trying to get the attention of buyers or to score traffic? Its not for me.

As for the rest of your post, you have used black and white language for your points, but there is a lot of ground in the middle of those extremes, and you can find value in that space.

You may think you know some things but people actually know very, very little, of what is knowable. People often think they know much more than they actually do.

•••
This might align with your thoughts:
Thank you for that. A most interesting read and yes, Sten's thoughts/views are what I have thought about, perhaps subconsciously, without realising that I was doing so. I particularly like what he said here;

I believe that this vertical of value is based on a reluctance to ‘stand out’, while standing out is at the same time the actual point.

Indeed!!

I will read part 2 of his interview now.

•••
Actually, that isn't correct. Good, pretty, beautiful, all vary, depending on the eye & mind of the beholder.
Gal Gadot is not for me (never heard of her before your post). She is OK I guess but I would not say she is pretty. Same goes for precious stones and everything else. Its all opinions and not facts.

Saying everyone ***** about something is always going to be wrong, unless its things like "Do you like breathing?" "Do you like drinking water?", "Do you like eating?", "Do you like sex?", "Do you like being alive?".
A person can come up with some negative aspects of human life too that will apply to everyone.

This comment is to do with your preference for the massively overcrowded keyword space. But you (and others) don't have to register names "what market most desires". This is the trap that many domainers fall into and who perhaps cannot see the alternatives or don't care about them.
Why engage in fighting with many millions of other keyword-focused domains, trying to get the attention of buyers or to score traffic? Its not for me.

As for the rest of your post, you have used black and white language for your points, but there is a lot of ground in the middle of those extremes, and you can find value in that space.

You may think you know some things but people actually know very, very little, of what is knowable. People often think they know much more than they actually do.
For big finance investor, playing with new method is good. But it is not safe. You don't know the result because it is new. Yes, some are success with new way.

New way also has many levels :

- invest in popular keyword (generic) like Hotel
- invest in English dictionary as brandable (like Fabulous)
- invest in brandable with pattern like CVCVCV, CVCVC, VCVCV like Mizuno, RoToTo
- invest in brandable with Made up word with special pattern like Shopee, Fiverr, or Creepz
- Invest in Made up word changed from language like Informa (From Information), Sunnei (misspell from Sunny)
- Invest in completelly free name like Tomax, XeroX

The brands have value from the Business, not depend to the name.

Just a question :

If some one want to give you free 1 Domain Name : Diamond.com or Fiverr.com (only domain), which one will you choose?

Last edited:
•••
For big finance investor, playing with new method is good. But it is not safe. You don't know the result because it is new.
Not just "big finance investor (whatever that is? Perhaps you mean someone who has lots of money to invest in domain names?).

"Safe" may appeal to you, but it is not where the most value lies, as Sten wrote. Dictionary words as domains can also hinder a name's value, unless you get lucky, like booking.com, fabulous.com, amazon.com, etc., (but those 3 names can be used for anything so they have no inherent value as brands in and of themselves).
True, Amazon is enormous but colossal companies have gone bust before and will do so in the future (Mr Bezos said this some time ago about his company).

But also, dictionary words are pursued by a large number of people and they are often impossible to acquire unless you buy them in the open market, IF they become available and IF you can afford the hefty price, say upwards of $xxx,xxx.

Also, brand-able names are not new. They have been in existence since the start of the internet so almost 40 years. Plus, as useful/usable/brand-able names become less and less available, the value of some of those names that have been registered will rise.

Of course, if you gave me a choice of diamond.com or fiverr.com for free, I would have to be an idiot to say "Give me fiverr.com", because we are in the business of economics and the only reason all of us do not got and buy diamond.com is because we don't have $10 million to spend. So its really, a silly question, I think.

I understand that you have the views you have and that you want to pursue domain names in the way you do. There is nothing inherently wrong with that.
I am just pointing out that there is an easier way to find value in domain names, if domainers would use some creativity and invest some time, to formulate brand-able names, rather than just relying on keywords.

There are lots of possible unregistered brand-able names available, just waiting for someone's mind to bring them into existence.

Last edited:
•••
Invest in time, doing home work in domaining is seeking good domains available in guideline. It is not easy to find available domains with the guideline. Last time I sold domain, searching from drop list for hours and only sold for xxx$. I want to know what kind of those available domains those valuable, like you are described as creative.

Some newbie just thinking in a minute and register a name he/she thought it is valuable. Some even buy problematic domains with trademark issue.

OK, let's see what you think creative is. Talking without example is nothing. You can give an example a domain you have registered, and let's others appraise it here.... Let's others learn to be as creative and clever as you...

Last edited:
•••
Not just "big finance investor (whatever that is? Perhaps you mean someone who has lots of money to invest in domain names?).

"Safe" may appeal to you, but it is not where the most value lies, as Sten wrote. Dictionary words as domains can also hinder a name's value, unless you get lucky, like booking.com, fabulous.com, amazon.com, etc., (but those 3 names can be used for anything so they have no inherent value as brands in and of themselves).
True, Amazon is enormous but colossal companies have gone bust before and will do so in the future (Mr Bezos said this some time ago about his company).

But also, dictionary words are pursued by a large number of people and they are often impossible to acquire unless you buy them in the open market, IF they become available and IF you can afford the hefty price, say upwards of $xxx,xxx.

Also, brand-able names are not new. They have been in existence since the start of the internet so almost 40 years. Plus, as useful/usable/brand-able names become less and less available, the value of some of those names that have been registered will rise.

Of course, if you gave me a choice of diamond.com or fiverr.com for free, I would have to be an idiot to say "Give me fiverr.com", because we are in the business of economics and the only reason all of us do not got and buy diamond.com is because we don't have $10 million to spend. So its really, a silly question, I think.

I understand that you have the views you have and that you want to pursue domain names in the way you do. There is nothing inherently wrong with that.
I am just pointing out that there is an easier way to find value in domain names, if domainers would use some creativity and invest some time, to formulate brand-able names, rather than just relying on keywords.

There are lots of possible unregistered brand-able names available, just waiting for someone's mind to bring them into existence.
This is a difficult discussion to have without examples.

You say you register names that no one has ever thought of, meaning they have never been registered. I find it hard to believe that you regularly sell names that have never been owned/registered by anyone else, and that do not contain any keywords.

Are you able to provide examples from your portfolio to help frame the discussion? Like, ten of your favourite names?

Last edited:
•••
I also can hand reg many brandables daily in COM ext, but one should question why they are available to hand reg!?
The one way to possible successfully sell domains is to predict the future or squatt new emerging niches, like when Elon Musk said he releases Grok, Mark Zuckerberg Llama, Openai ChatGPT and other similar examples, inventing new brands can take years to sell but if you have the resources and patience it can be a fruitful endeavour.

•••
Could be a great opportunity to compare and contrast strategies and things to look for when hand registering. I also find names worth registering now and then. Although, I do tend to focus on keywords. But even more than that, I heavily base my decisions on favourable search engine results for the exact term (with some occasional personal bias thrown in).

Here are three names I registered recently (found on the deleted lists) and my rationale for the purchases:

Pro/Vitre (com) - A couple exisitng businesses and/or active sites already using this name. "Vitre" is a French translation of the word "window". "Pro" is always solid for branding, and is used in French as well as English.

Mystic/Isles (com) - I'm a bit of a fantasy geek, so I admit some personal bias with this reg. It's the name of an existing online game, but just sounds great to my ear for any fantasy use. Similar to Black Isle entertainment, or Mystic Games, these are two words that just pair really well for this purpose.

Restored/Antiques (com) - Solid example of a keyword domain. Nice and generic, but specific enough to be useful and relevant for a lot of existing online businesses.

These are the types of names I look for when hand registering. Each one offers a decent opportunity to 100x your investment or better (and unless you're actively peddling and moving a lot of names, 100x should be your minimum profit target).

I do enjoy invented brand names quite a bit, and I own several. But I always like to ensure at least one of two things before buying one:
  • Inclusion of a solid keyword (or obvious combination of two); or
  • Evidence of the name being used by other businesses for marketing, branding, or product/service-naming purposes

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is not something new, unknown or that you personally discovered. Brandable markets (SH and BB) are filled with made up empty vessel type names. Branding agencies own made ups for clients.

Even good ones take 3 to 4 times as long to sell than domains that contain keywords. They are not in vogue right now. Sometimes they are chosen by buyers because they tend to be more inexpensive than keyword domains.

People like to buy what sells with more frequency. It has nothing to do with being creative or not.

Ultimately the buyer decides what is a good name and what is not. Most great made ups were registered long ago just like great standard names. And most sit unsold. Just like standard names.

•••
Last edited:
•••

I sense that there is a fixation/obsession with keywords so that the domain will appeal to Google, a private company that is an effective monopoly and seems to do whatever it likes. Remember when Google were upstarts and said “Don’t be evil” - well, they have become what they once despised.
This happens with many challengers to the status quo, in that once they begin to grow, they can soon become the status quo and act in ways that they used to criticize/despise others. Apple is another such company, and as much as I like their products (except their poor Mail program), approaching $3 trillion in revenue hampers your ability to being a challenger, an innovator, fresh.
Perhaps if Steve and Jony were still there, Apple could still have those attributes.

But I digress.

I haven’t ever focused on creating domains based on keywords. It just seems that the keyword space is so overcrowded that getting noticed becomes harder and harder over time. I also don’t really understand this space, having not explored it and I also take exception to being at the mercy of the evil G, who behave as judge, jury & executioner, to say the least of their antics.

Looking at the some of the recently created internet companies (last 15 years or so), there are many two word company names made up of dictionary words, but a good number are names that are not real words and their names are just made up.
This is the area I have focused on for the past 10+ years and I have been surprised at how many names have been available that I have come up with. Over the last few years, I have added over 200 names to my portfolio and I am coming up with name ideas all the time. Although not all my name ideas become names I register.

I don’t expect many of my names to appeal to lots of people or that they will sell for eyebrow raising amounts. But like all seller/buyer scenarios, it only takes one person to like a name I have created and like it enough to want to buy it. Given the population of internet users, which is always growing and that useful domain names are becoming increasingly rarer, I think that won’t be hard to achieve.

I usually come up with names by something I see or hear, sometimes swapping letters around or adding 1-2 letters, sometimes replacing letters. I have also “discovered” names, serendipitously, by making typos when I’ve been typing something, like an email or a url. It is surprising to me how often this happens and I am stopped in my working flow. I pause for a while and think about what is on the screen. Sometimes, its nothing or really just junk, but sometimes it looks and sounds great to me.

Usually, I need to like how the domain sounds and if it passes the “radio test”. I also have to be able to see what market the name might address or appeal to and whether that market is immature/mature and/or overcrowded and/or populated by upstarts. Domain names are very low cost, but if you register many iffy names or names with fringe appeal, the costs add up.
I check the visitor figures for each of my domains as they are coming up for renewal and take a decision on whether to renew or let them expire. I don’t let many go.

I tend to focus on 5-8 letter domains (4 letter domains are almost all taken up, the worthwhile ones that is, but I don’t spend any time searching just for these), but I might go beyond 8 letters if the name sounds very good to me.

I do have some domains that are real words, including people’s names, but this is less than 5% of my portfolio.

If you have approached domain name creation in ways other than by using keywords, perhaps you’d like to share your method or comment on mine.
So I have figures out that this thread is made for who registers domain names just for hobby. We are domainers are strict to buy domain names for selling. Only keeping names those easily sold. Buy domain names with discount codes, and sale for profit. That is "creative" in our domaining. Creative in hobby just to have a fun spending money without thinking how much money will be used without any sale. Domaining for hobby is only for big financial domainers who enjoy wasting their money or newbie domainers who don't know what can be sold and trapped in dreaming rich fast Scheme.

•••
Hi, @Adrigan , you report my Post to ask you a sample of domain names you have registered? Are you afraid to show up your creativity? You said other domainers are not creative, so why you are afraid to show the sample domain names you registered?

@Alfa Mod Team you can see that this thread is insult other domainers too, and how rude his words to reply my answer to his post above..

Is his words above better than mine? I copy paste his words to answer my post :

And call other question silly question, is it rude ? :

Last edited:
•••

But I digress.

Could you please share your STR? And, how many names have been approved by BrandBucket or SquadHelp?

I invest in brandable domains, focusing on made-up and compound names.

•••
Nice sounding brands with zero meaning are not selling well, unless truly short and sweet. And there two main reasons for that:

a) brands that are meaningful in relation to what they do, get instant click with their customers. Basically, you might get 10%-50% more clicks, calls etc. just because people could connect your name to what your business actually does. Now why this happens is up to a debate. One possible explanation is that when people can guess the meaning of your name and find relevance they feel good about themselves. But I can think of few other reasons. Regardless, it is what it is. You can always go for completely "empty vessel" like Dasani for water, but then prepare your marketing "war chest" to turn it into a successful brand.

b) there are too many available options for nice sounding "empty vessel" names. There are nearly 12 million possible LLLLL combos, e.g. Probably couple of million of those are decent or half-decent. Now, if you go into 6 letter territory, you have over 300 million of those. Tens of millions of those could be ok or okayish. So, while the name you chose could very well been selected for a business if it were a hand-reg, they will probably pass when they have to pay $xxxx for it and just go to the next available option.

Now, I am a big fan of meaningful creative brands, but here is the thing. As creative as you might be, the best creative options have already been thought of and registered/owned for some time. So, the better ones that are more likely to sell are available only via aftermarket.

Just looking at my recent buys, here are few that are nice and creative imo:

Aromask.com (aroma +mask)

Sowks.com (Could be a play of soaks, but apparently, SOWK is often used in as short for Social Work, so by extension, Sowks = Social Works).

Cristl.com (Crystal)

Ultrafinity.com (ultra+infinity)

Breadista.com (bread barista)

KneadToGo.com (sounds like need to go, awesome for bread, dough, yeast to go products)

Nouera.com (new era?

TheFYT.com (The Fit?)

Greenitecture.com (Green + Architecture)

FinFormative.com (Fin Formative or F Informative, great for financial info)

Suprior.com (Super -> Superior, Supra -> Suprior)

Sylish.com (basically, don't we often say Sylish for Stylish?)

DuckAndCluck.com (a duck and a chicken)

Broadwand.com (Magic Wand for Broadband services)

Glossamer.com (Gloss +Gossamer)

Cyperior.com (Cyber + Superior)

•••
A number of valuable points made in this thread, both by the original poster and various people who have made comments.

I was going to mention Sten's article on the topic. @Jannes has already mentioned the most relevant, first part. Here is the link to both parts of the interview:
Sten makes a strong case that the key aspect of a name as a brand is that it be distinctive, and that an over-emphasis on search keyword metrics generally works against that. Sten brings a lot of credibility to his views, both due to evidence he presents, e.g. in corporate name choices, and also that he has for more than a year been the top domain name seller at SquadHelp.

The emphasis on keywords started in the very early stages of domain investing, even prior to giants like Rick Schwartz, Mike Mann, etc. when Gary Kremen and a few other name pioneers saw the Internet as replacing newspaper classified ads, and in that view, well before effective search, it was critical to have service and product match names.

It is somewhat surprising how much of domain investing remains in that mindset.

As others have pointed out, one issue with more creative names is that the pool of possibilities is very large (arguing against high worth) and that any particular creation may not appeal to many business owners (so STR will be less). Nevertheless, as in most things, more creativity is a good thing as we all move naming forward.

I think that main marketplaces will not work well for most creative brandables, and hence the brandable marketplaces were born. Fortunately, tools and metrics now make it easier to predict which names might be accepted at the marketplaces, and which have higher STR.

Brandable creations that include an anchor word that is likely to be searched probably have a better chance of being found on the big general purpose marketplaces.

I think it is good that different investors take different approaches.

It typically involves a lot of time to have a name 'win', but contests like those at SH provide a potential avenue for those who like to create names without building up an inventory of names that may never sell. It places the focus on a specific need, while still being open to a lot of creativity.

Thanks for the good points, everyone.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I have seen this type of comment about creativity many times.

In my view being "creative" can actually be a detriment when it comes to domain investing.

When it comes to domain investing you really want a large pool of potential buyers. It is just playing the odds.

Anyone can make up creative brands, puns, etc. Domains are unlikely to sell if there is a tiny or non-existent pool of potential buyers.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back