IT.COM

1,700 domains sold in '07; hopefully fewer in '08!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Yes, I sold exactly 1,700 domains in the year that just ended.

But no, I haven't bought the Lamborghini yet. :) Most of those were low-$xx sales.

I hope I sell fewer this year ... because I want to focus more on development & end user sales, and less on quick flips (though they are hard to resist!).

Is anyone else turning over so many domains, or am I the only crazy one?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats Randomo, I'm lucky to be one of your customers.

And one of them gave me excellent ROI, so I make it a point to drop into your sales, even if I don't buy many ;)

I sold about 50 odd domains last year, very decent ROI, though some I even lost a little money on but considering I've bought a ton more...I've become a seller only now...as you can probably see from my sig :)

•••
and how often have you regretted the flipping? :yell:

•••
infoduma said:
and how often have you regretted the flipping? :yell:
Hardly ever!

The sales I most regret are the ones I don't make. :)

•••
Great job randomo! I hope you sell even more in 2008.

I need to do a better job of tracking my own ROI. Does anyone have a basic/advanced Excel template for domain sales I could start from? Was one ever posted here at NP?

•••
spikedo said:
Great job randomo! I hope you sell even more in 2008.
Thanks, but as I mentioned, I hope I will sell fewer! ;)

spikedo said:
I need to do a better job of tracking my own ROI. Does anyone have a basic/advanced Excel template for domain sales I could start from? Was one ever posted here at NP?
I don't know about a template, but here are the columns I use in my Excel domain work, so I can sort the data in many ways:

Domain name [without TLD]
TLD
How acquired (buy / reg / eBay / TDNAM / Snap / etc.)
Price paid
Asking price
Expiration date
Category (1 word / acronym / sports / computers / food / misc. / etc.)
Length (how many characters in domain name without TLD)
Creation date (for domains that are more than a few years old)
Other relevant stats (e.g., Overture score)

When a domain is sold, I move it to a separate SOLD worksheet, where I also fill in columns for price received, where it was sold (NamePros, eBay, etc.), and date sold.

Cheers,
Dave

•••
randomo said:
The sales I most regret are the ones I don't make. :)

Words to live by :)

Stole it for my sig...

Hope you don't mind.

•••
Dave,

Do you track ROI on the SOLD worksheet? Do you keep 'em long enough to factor in renewal cost into the equation?

Pat

•••
spikedo said:
Dave,

Do you track ROI on the SOLD worksheet? Do you keep 'em long enough to factor in renewal cost into the equation?

Pat
Pat,

Yeah, that's a tricky thing. When I renew a domain, I add that amount to the "price paid", and I leave a note in an "Other" column that says something like "6.95 reg + 7.44 renew" so I know where the "price paid" came from.

I can use the SOLD worksheet for lots of things. It can track ROI on the domains that I sell, but for a fuller picture of my domain profits, I enter all revenues and expenses into Quicken.

-Dave

•••
•••
Wow,Good work
HUGE NUMBER

•••
lau said:
Wow,Good work
HUGE NUMBER
Actually, I have discovered I made a mistake.

I didn't sell 1,700 domains last year ...

I really sold 1,704!

(Just found out I hadn't recorded 4 sales in my spreadsheet.)
:)

•••
Grats on the sales. Heres hoping everyone has a productive year like yours :).

•••
randomo said:
Thanks, but as I mentioned, I hope I will sell fewer! ;)

Yeah! You doing a good job with this one ;)

I don't know about a template, but here are the columns I use in my Excel domain work, so I can sort the data in many ways:

Domain name [without TLD]
TLD
How acquired (buy / reg / eBay / TDNAM / Snap / etc.)
Price paid
Asking price
Expiration date
Category (1 word / acronym / sports / computers / food / misc. / etc.)
Length (how many characters in domain name without TLD)
Creation date (for domains that are more than a few years old)
Other relevant stats (e.g., Overture score)

When a domain is sold, I move it to a separate SOLD worksheet, where I also fill in columns for price received, where it was sold (NamePros, eBay, etc.), and date sold.

Pretty much identical to mine. Although I have several sheets within the same spreadsheet... Domains/Sales/Expired/Revenue (Parking). I just cut 'n paste the domain if it sells or expires. I pull all the total sales/expired data into the Revenue sheet to calculate my profit or loss for the year, instantly ;)

•••
Congratulations randomo, you're an inspiration. I am leaving work in a month or so and will be going full time in domaining. I mainly get most of my income at the moment from small sales and quick flips so will hope to chase your number of sales for this year.

I also use excel spreadsheets with columns for the domain name, purchase date, costs (which I update if I renew it), registrar, expiration date, sales platforms and prices they are listed at and a parked column so I know where it is parked.

I also have many different worksheets so it's easier to keep track eg, 4L.com, 5L.com, Brandable.com, Geographic.com, .info, other extensions.

I then have a sold tab where I cut them into once they sell which has a lot of the same columns as well as where it was sold, sale price, sale date, payment method, payment date.

•••
AussieDomainer said:
Congratulations randomo, you're an inspiration. I am leaving work in a month or so and will be going full time in domaining. I mainly get most of my income at the moment from small sales and quick flips so will hope to chase your number of sales for this year.
Good luck with that - but don't plan on being a flipper forever! Plan to move up the ladder into development, end-user sales, etc.

AussieDomainer said:
I also have many different worksheets so it's easier to keep track eg, 4L.com, 5L.com, Brandable.com, Geographic.com, .info, other extensions.
Yes, I also keep separate worksheets for LLLL.com's & LLLL.net's, since I have many of those. The other types of domains (for example, brandables) can be separated easily enough in the main worksheet, since I have a column for "category".

•••
Just FYI, I'm up to 354 domains sold so far in 2008. :)

Breakdown:

250 .net's in a bulk sale

82 LLLL.com's (I also bought some!)

22 other assorted domains

I don't plan to maintain this pace (and anyway, I only have about 100 LLLL.com's left), but I hope to put some more bulk sales together this year (as well as some end-user sales!).

Best wishes for success to all of you too.

Cheers,
Dave

•••
Good Lord!

And I thought I was doing good with ~ 170 :red:

randomo said:

Breakdown:

I don't plan to maintain this pace (and anyway, I only have about 100 LLLL.com's left), but I hope to put some more bulk sales together this year (as well as some end-user sales!).

Cheers,
Dave

•••
randomo said:

Breakdown:

Cheers,
Dave

I don't think you are going to sell fewer than 2007. Its Just me. Good luck.

•••
mntor said:
I don't think you are going to sell fewer than 2007. Its Just me. Good luck.
You may be right.

Final January stats

498 domains sold (just missed the magic 500 mark!)

That included:
*250 .net's in a bulk sale
*141 LLLL.com's (keeping about 30 triple- & quad-premiums)
*107 others

(This month is off to a similar start. February 1st - 38 sales [mostly a bulk ccc.net sale, quick flip]) :)

However, February will be the 3rd annual End User Sales Month. Watch for an announcement soon!

Happy domaining,
Dave

•••
So ... I am failing in my goal of selling fewer domains this year.

In fact, almost halfway through the year, I have sold 945. I would love to get up to 1,000 before the end of June. And you can help! :)

Please see my June MEGA-SALE; hundreds of domains are listed at low reseller prices, and reasonable offers are welcome. Or let me know if you are interested in all-premium LLLL.net's - I can sell them to you in bulk, for not much more than reg fee.

Cheers,
Dave

•••
Good work.
I hope I can sell 17 domains of $10000 each in 2008;)

•••
•••
randomo said:
when I switched to Windows Vista and Excel 2007. (Those files and calculations worked fine in Excel 2003 running under Windows XP, but they now cause Excel 2007 to crash, so I had to find some much slower workarounds.
You might want to UP your RAM. If the crashes still occur, Replace your Old Ram with New and you should be good.

•••
i bet you'll do the 1K mark

•••
Jesus, that must take SO much time to make threads, answer pm's, push names, and managing all that stuff. GOod job. I sold like 10 probably haha

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back