NameSilo

1,700 domains sold in '07; hopefully fewer in '08!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Yes, I sold exactly 1,700 domains in the year that just ended.

But no, I haven't bought the Lamborghini yet. :) Most of those were low-$xx sales.

I hope I sell fewer this year ... because I want to focus more on development & end user sales, and less on quick flips (though they are hard to resist!).

Is anyone else turning over so many domains, or am I the only crazy one?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
of the different places that you sold them

what is dnf? pardon my ignorance,

and congrats, again on your success

•••
gdell said:
what is dnf? pardon my ignorance,
DNF - another forum like NamePros.

P.S. 21 domains sold so far this year, plus awaiting payment on a bulk deal of 36. :)

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations. (You're on Sahar's blog today as well).
Most of them were drop-catches.
Would you mind talking a little bit about which sites/software you use to do your drop mining?
That many sales requires a lot of bookkeeping - good thing Excel can handle it!
Do you use PayPal? Or an escrow co. above a certain dollar amount?
Thanks (to the other contributors as well) for sharing this information!

•••
woolwit said:
Congratulations. (You're on Sahar's blog today as well).
Woohoo! I'm famous! :)

woolwit said:
Would you mind talking a little bit about which sites/software you use to do your drop mining?
Well, I'm reluctant to do so, since competition is already stiff enough! I can say that I download drop lists and manipulate them in Excel - a process that became MUCH harder last month, when I switched to Windows Vista and Excel 2007. (Those files and calculations worked fine in Excel 2003 running under Windows XP, but they now cause Excel 2007 to crash, so I had to find some much slower workarounds. Bill Gates is not on my happy list right now.)

I don't look for numeric qualities such as pagerank ... I just mechanically narrow down the drop list (eliminating long domains and ones that contain numbers or hyphens), then look over that subset manually.

You never know what you might catch. One day in late 2007, I caught 179 dropping LLLL.com's at reg fee ... that probably won't happen again, but it's providing a nice profit stream!

woolwit said:
Do you use PayPal? Or an escrow co. above a certain dollar amount?
I don't often use escrow, but I usually require some proof of reliability (like a substantial trader rating) before doing a straight PayPal sale.

•••
1700? That is a crazy amount.

I just made my calculations, and I had 550 - 600 domain sales last year. Currently I have about 430 domains. Unfortunately, I am quite unorganized and tend to not use excel all the time.

I will also focus less on flipping this year, and more on development, and on less but better names. It is easier to manage all those sales and payments (especially that I do not use paypal yet).

Wish you a 2008 rich in sales.

•••
1700 is a lot,
what is your total revenue-expense=?

•••
1700? wow

You don't have to tell us your secrets, but in general, how do you make all these sales?
Do you talk to potential buyers on the phone, etc?

Best wishes with your 2008 sales :)

•••
A good change in my domaining life in 2008 is to be more organised, i will use more things like excell, to keep more track of buys, sales etc ... thx for all the info you gave us Randomo!

•••
stub said:
Wow. Only 1-2 hours on acquisitions for so many domains. How do you manage to be so efficient? You must be making quick decisions and little research.
Yes - after I use Excel to narrow down the drop lists, I look through them pretty quickly, and do little or no research on the domains that interest me. (This is the way I live my life: fast decisions, based on little evidence! :) )

stub said:
This year is going to be one of consolidation for me. I have too many domains to manage efficiently. I've stopped buying (which saves me about 4 hours+ a day). I'm going to concentrate harder on selling and parking optimization, with a little bit of development thrown in for good measure.
I don't put much effort into parking (as my domains don't get enough natural traffic to justify it), but I will focus more on development and end-user sales this year.

mrdomainman said:
1700? wow

You don't have to tell us your secrets, but in general, how do you make all these sales?
Do you talk to potential buyers on the phone, etc?

Best wishes with your 2008 sales :)
Mostly, I just post sales on these forums, like everybody else! My "secret" is to offer a huge assortment of pretty good names at ridiculously cheap prices. ;)

Giving good service also counts for a lot. Many of my sales are to previous customers who know that I will push domains quickly, accept reasonable bulk offers, and work with them to ensure that all goes smoothly.

Much success in 2008 to you too!

•••
Dave,

I hope you didn't mind that I turned your thread into an article. I thought you shared a lot of great information. I didn't foresee Sahar picking it up so I hope you don't mind the exposure... :hehe:

-Bill

•••
NameClerk.com said:
Dave,

I hope you didn't mind that I turned your thread into an article. I thought you shared a lot of great information. I didn't foresee Sahar picking it up so I hope you don't mind the exposure... :hehe:

-Bill
Bill - No problem at all; I'm glad you found it useful.

I'm in this business not just for money, but also for fame. Write about me any time! :]

P.S. I should acknowledge my buddy Yofie, who not only sold more domains than me last year, but has also shared info and worked with me on drop catching and some other aspects of the game.

•••
randomo said:
P.S. I should acknowledge my buddy Yofie, who not only sold more domains than me last year, but has also shared info and worked with me on drop catching and some other aspects of the game.
Yep! You can't sell them if you can't find them.

•••
I'm very impressed with that turnover.... that's commitment for you!

If you ever start a sales site I'd be happy to post my portfolio up there for comission sales, you must have quite a following by now ;)

Does anyone here find it worthwhile using SEDO's 'featured' domains facility.... I've never tried it but figure it could be a good way to generate a bit of interest?

Regards

Gary.

2007 - sales = 2 ;)

•••
I did not do a huge volume of sales in 2007 but i know my ROI was VERY high to say the least and i am happy, Quality not quantity. Hope this year will be even better.

•••
Randomo you are my idol for the simple fact im trying to sell just 1 domain a day and still havent managed that LOL

I think my problem is I cant sell cheap. if I sell cheap to someone I feel there is something they know that I dont that will turn that $20 domain into a few Hundred and then I will kick myself for letting it go so cheap.

However if your buying domains at $7.44 and then selling back at $25-30 thats pretty good at say 6 x a day @ avg $25 = $150 a day x 30 days = $4500 x 12 months = $54,000 and thats JUST the basic 2-3 word domains im sure.....Nice goin man!

•••
•••
Nattydomain said:
I think my problem is I cant sell cheap. if I sell cheap to someone I feel there is something they know that I dont that will turn that $20 domain into a few Hundred and then I will kick myself for letting it go so cheap.
It's all in your perspective. I'm sure many of my customers have made good money on names that I sold too cheaply - but I don't lose sleep over it! Instead of holding on to names for a longer time, hoping to sell them for better prices, I sell 'em cheap and move on to more names. Time is money! (Besides, if my customers are getting terrific deals from me, they'll probably come back for more. :) )

agentjon said:
Randomo, you have any names in the snap list released today?
Wow, I've been so busy that I can't even remember whether I submitted any ... don't think so. But having seen that list, I wish I had, because some of my domains are far better than many of the ones that were accepted!

(Meanwhile, the 3 I submitted for the DomainTools auction were turned down. Oh well. But I do have a bunch of auctions at SnapNames ending during the next week. May post the list later, but I have to run right now ....)

•••
Very impressive randomo - I need to rethink !

•••
NameClerk.com said:
Dave,

-Bill

Good to See You Bill....

I think that is perfect ...... I was going to suggest he (randomo) write an article. Even if veiled it would be a great read.

•••
Sheesh Dave!

Give us normal guys a chance to catch you... 29 sales for me on the year now. :)

You at 100 yet? :hehe:

randomo said:
DNF - another forum like NamePros.

P.S. 21 domains sold so far this year, plus awaiting payment on a bulk deal of 36. :)

•••
Reece said:
Sheesh Dave!

Give us normal guys a chance to catch you... 29 sales for me on the year now. :)

You at 100 yet? :hehe:
Only 59, but I'm workin' on it!

(And when you say "us normal guys", what are you implying about me, Reece?!) :-/

P.S. Most of those 59 have been from my dwindling supply of LLLL.com's (down to about 120 now), so I can't keep that up forever!

•••
I don't know, was starting to think we should proclaim you King COM or something like that with all those sales :hehe:

Most of my sales this year have been LLLL.coms as well. Pretty hot right now :)

randomo said:
Only 59, but I'm workin' on it!

(And when you say "us normal guys", what are you implying about me, Reece?!) :-/

•••
10 for me ......... oh no !!!!!!!

•••
Wow, 1700 a years ? I'am only sell :
2006 - 1 sale
2007 - 2 sale
2008 - until this day 4 domain i think's

•••
For many months I have been contemplating buying DomainFlipping.org. This thread inspired me to finally get it. I have had between 100 and 300 sales at the start of the year but haven't had many sales since May.

I think I sold more in 2006 and expect to sell more this year. This last year has been very disorganised for me as I moved house and quit my job. I expect this year to be more settled and more organised.

My idea for DomainFlipping.org was to have a site that promoted Domain Flippers who agreed to a set of guidelines that upheld level of integrity. Guidelines would include a set number of sales targets that are met, possibly membership of DNOA.org, commitments to each other, etc...

I am still disorganised but I am glad that I still could get DomainFlipping.org before somebody else took it.

Good luck with your sales Randomo!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back