Dynadot

question Zoom Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Bob Hawkes started an excellent blog post May 21st all about Zoom.com. In his blog post he stated there are over 2,400 websites with "zoom" in their domain name, and there are over 500 TM's also using a variation of the word "zoom"

Now for my question, I just registered a domain xxxxxxZoom.com and Zoomxxxxxx.com for a startup involving virtual tasting that I'm starting. Zoom the company is my vendor of choice for my company. I have other names I can fall back on if necessary, but I believe I can generate a lot of business for Zoom and myself with this name. Any thoughts or advice?

Note, i did not register the domains in "Bad Faith" as seen here;

The UDRP suggests that the respondent has acted in bad faith if its primary intent was to sell the domain name to the trademark owner or one of its competitors for a price in excess of out-of-pocket expenses related to the name. See UDRP 4(b)(i).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think having Zoom in the name would generate any extra traffic.

The main benefit to using it would be memorability for your customers, if the pairing word really fits well.

•••
I don't think having Zoom in the name would generate any extra traffic.

The main benefit to using it would be memorability for your customers, if the pairing word really fits well.
Thanks...the pairing word fits OK, i was a little more concerned about possible TM issues.

•••
Hi

try putting youtube, google or facebook in a domain name, using same philosophy of intent

imo...

•••
Thanks...the pairing word fits OK, i was a little more concerned about possible TM issues.
You only have TM issues if you approach Zoom.

•••
Hi

try putting youtube, google or facebook in a domain name, using same philosophy of intent

imo...
While I'm not exactly sure, "zoom" is an actual word that means to focus into or away from something like with a camera lens whereas youtube, google, and facebook are trademarked brands. I'm guessing this is why there are thousands of websites using domains with the word "zoom" in the domain name, and why there are over 500 registered TM's for "zoom" and hundreds of variations. Someone even owns DomainZoom.com and they're asking $2,499 at GD.

•••
•••
Zoom is a dictionary, word with several possible meanings, including for multiple things to travel fast, and to make photos or other images seem closer. For that reason, various businesses can coexist with permitted uses across different trademark categories. As I pointed out, this means lots of TMs and websites for very different types of business. A zoom company that sells racing cars would not infringe on one that had speedy courier delivery, or a lens manufacturer or movie production business.

If one had a domain name with an intended use for one particular Zoom company, to me that seems problematic, however.

I of course do not offer legal advice. I did want to go to law school, but that does make me a legal expert! :xf.grin:

Bob

•••
Zoom offers a solution ...
The Zoom Referral Partner Program is designed to reward partners for generating new Zoom opportunities by recommending Zoom Services to their respective clients and prospects. Strong candidates for Zoom Referral Partners include consultants, systems integrators with experience in video collaboration, A/V technology, and IT resellers. To apply for our program, please complete an application

source

Good luck!

•••
Zoom is a dictionary, word with several possible meanings, including for multiple things to travel fast, and to make photos or other images seem closer. For that reason, various businesses can coexist with permitted uses across different trademark categories. As I pointed out, this means lots of TMs and websites for very different types of business. A zoom company that sells racing cars would not infringe on one that had speedy courier delivery, or a lens manufacturer or movie production business.

If one had a domain name with an intended use for one particular Zoom company, to me that seems problematic, however.

I of course do not offer legal advice. I did want to go to law school, but that does make me a legal expert! :xf.grin:

Bob
Thanks for that Bob....this isn't the zoom name I own, but it's the same concept; WhiskeyZoom.com. Since starting this thread I did pick up something very similar but with a slightly different spelling; WhiskeyCam.com, where "cam" is just a good as "zoom" thus giving me several options. As for legal advice and a law degree, i figure you'd have a 50/50 chance of being right just like all the other lawyers in the world:xf.wink: It's gotta suck being a lawyer when half your cases die lose:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Zoom offers a solution ...

Good luck!
Thanks for that ecalc....do you like whisky? I owe you a free zoom tasting(y)

•••
•••
•••
I have LatestZoom.com published at SH. I even think they registered it. No issues.

•••
Thanks for that ecalc....do you like whisky? I owe you a free zoom tasting(y)
Thanks nameguy, I take a sip now and then but draw the line at video conferencing. Here at the ecalc school of high speed driving and economics we see an emerging 24-hour surveillance state so we boycott anything that looks like Hollywood Squares or the Brady Bunch credit roll.

•••
•••
I have LatestZoom.com published at SH. I even think they registered it. No issues.
You don't know? If they did it will be much less payout when you sell it if you bought it at the wholesale marketplace.

•••
Thanks nameguy, I take a sip now and then but draw the line at video conferencing. Here at the ecalc school of high speed driving and economics we see an emerging 24-hour surveillance state so we boycott anything that looks like Hollywood Squares or the Brady Bunch credit roll.
ecalc...me thinks you can become an honorary member of my SnickerClub:ROFL:com

•••
You don't know? If they did it will be much less payout when you sell it if you bought it at the wholesale marketplace.

I submitted it as an unregged name. I do remember, but kinda forgotten about it.

•••
I submitted it as an unregged name. I do remember, but kinda forgotten about it.
That's one way to do it. Will they renew it again?

•••
That's one way to do it. Will they renew it again?

Yes, I can decide who will renew it. Lower commission if I renew myself.

•••
You only have TM issues if you approach Zoom.
Not really sure how you arrived at that conclusion.
TMs are only an issue in domain names if:
  • The name is a clear infringement on an existing brand (e.g. FacebookPictures.com, TwitterFeeds.com); or
  • The domain owner uses the name in an attempt to profit from an existing brand (e.g. approaching Zoom.us to buy WhiskyZoom, or using the name to advertise or sell products/services that are already trademarked under a brand similar to your name).
I presumed the business @ThatNameGuy was referring to was related to selling/tasting alcohol (the Zoom.us TM would not cover this product/service). Therefore an issue only exists if he approaches Zoom with an offer to either:
  • sell them his name; or
  • use their existing brand to help his business profit
If he's planning to simply build a business on WhiskyZoom, there shouldn't be any issues unless a TM for alcohol products/services already exists for a similar brand.

Last edited:
•••
I have these two domain names:
zoom.pink
zoom.irish

Will I have any TM issue for these names? Please share your thoughts. Thank you.
@Joe Nichols @Bob Hawkes

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have these two domain names:
zoom.pink
zoom.irish

Will I have any TM issue for these names? Please share your thoughts. Thank you.
@Joe Nichols @Bob Hawkes
I don't think so Haroon....i own Zoom.domains and ZoomSpirits.com and i intend to develop both with a partner.

On another note...Estibot appraises zoom.pink, zoom.irish and zoom.domains each for $1.900. Are they worth that much? Maybe, maybe not but I think the name Zoom.domains will at least draw attention from other domainers, and Zoom.pink and Zoom.irish should draw attention as well. I know I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine owns a Porche here in Virginia and he has "Zoom" on his vanity license plates.

Note...while not quite as good, Vroom is almost as good as Zoom as a descriptive adjective imo.

•••
Back