NameSilo

Yahoo Ads vs. Google AdSense

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rezo

Account Closed
Impact
Yahoo ads vs. Google adsense: there are differences in the 10% range in what they pay.

I’ve been running Google adsense and Yahoo’s Publisher network ads in an A-B test for over a month now. I had a script randomly serve either a Yahoo or a Google ad in the same place. The ads looked almost exactly identical (in color and layout) too.

The end result is that Yahoo (right now, for my site) is paying 10% more than Google ads.

Each ad network got 9000 page impressions per day, for over a month. That should be enough to be statistically relevant. But then the stats start to diverge in interesting ways.

Google’s ads got an average of a 2.3% clickthrough rate per day. Yahoo only got an average of 1.3%. BUT: the average daily revenue per day from Yahoo is 10% higher than the average daily revenue from Google.

In other words: Yahoo seems to serve (for my site) higher paying ads than Google. So even though the Yahoo ads get less clickthrough, the end result is that Yahoo pays 10% more.

Of course, these numbers will probably differ for your website. The 10% difference is statistically valid for my website, but you can not extrapolate that to other websites. The content will be different, so the ad inventory that each service has will probably be different as well.

Your final conclusion should be that Yahoo and Google pay pretty much the same, although there may be small difference (5, 10, perhaps up to 20%) in what they pay for specific websites. The only way to know for your website, is to run them both, next to each other, for a month or so, and see which one pays more for your website. If you are making 100$/day or more, 10% can end up being quite a bit of money and doing these tests and optimizing may be worth it. If you make less, don’t bother, just use one of the two for now.

And of course, you should repeat the test a few times a year. These things always change.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The sad thing about Yahoo is that their system is only open for US based webmbasters.

Google in other hand accepts webmasters from all countries (except Cuba and North Korea perhaps) :)

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but that's well knows, that's why I didn't explain that.

•••
Rezo said:
Yes, but that's well knows, that's why I didn't explain that.

I have just one question: WHY?

Why are there so many companies thinking "locally" and not "globally"?

•••
Because it's easier to transfer the money, less problems.

•••
Rezo said:
Because it's easier to transfer the money, less problems.

In what way it differs paypaling money to [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]

Or in what way differs sendhig a check via snail mail to USA, India or Estonia (ok - the postage costs more if US company sends mail aboard, but that comes out of webmaster pocket anyways.

•••
Their type of billing in other countries can be quite different.

•••
The only reason YPN is only for US at the moment is because they are still in BETA. Once they come out of beta there will be a worldwide release.

Regards
Brian

•••
Also Yahoo won't ban you for no reason like Google.

•••
CriminalOrigins said:
Also Yahoo won't ban you for no reason like Google.

There is allways a reason, altough sometimes YOU are not the reason. :(

A friend of mine got banned from google adsense, because some icehole who hated him, kept clicking hundreds of times per day on my friends sites adsense links.

Guess how Adsense interpeted this kind of click-actifity - as fraud >>> kick and ban.

•••
I want to say exact opposite. It's GOOGLE who won't ban you for every reason.

•••
Rezo said:
I want to say exact opposite. It's GOOGLE who won't ban you for every reason.

Just read around. People get banned right and left from that thing.

•••
I don't see any yahoo publisher banned yet...

•••
www.ri.sch.edu.sg said:
I don't see any yahoo publisher banned yet...
I dont wonder about this at all.

Google Adsense - been around for ages, many-many webmasters from all around the world. Gazillions of billions of pageviews daily. Likelyhood of being abused = HIGH.

Yahoo Adsense :) - been around for short while, still beta, small amount of webmasteers - US only. Some :) pageviews per day. Likelyhood of being abused = LOW.

This post was :imho: - all claimed numbers in this post are fictional. Yada-yada-yada... :)

•••
Brian said:
The only reason YPN is only for US at the moment is because they are still in BETA. Once they come out of beta there will be a worldwide release.

Regards
Brian
it took 2 years already for beta :)

•••
Alar said:
I dont wonder about this at all.

Google Adsense - been around for ages, many-many webmasters from all around the world. Gazillions of billions of pageviews daily. Likelyhood of being abused = HIGH.

Yahoo Adsense :) - been around for short while, still beta, small amount of webmasteers - US only. Some :) pageviews per day. Likelyhood of being abused = LOW.

This post was :imho: - all claimed numbers in this post are fictional. Yada-yada-yada... :)
yes they were around but google its a very dangerous recnetly so many banned without reason
my cousin was banned without a click fraud or invalid clicks jsut his ctr was high and he dont know about ctr
he had advertised in local magazine and vistors came thats all google kicked after three months
in the last week only his ctr rate was high
they said he had already one account but where it is they didnt showed at all
now we were in india and we cant go to US to see the truth of them

i think they need useless impressions in order to avoid from ctr rate

i dont know anything about yahoo

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back