IT.COM

Xen or OpenVZ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you are buying a Virtual Private Server, which would you prefer?
Xen or OpenVZ?
Are there any other virtualization technologies?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Xen and OpenVZ are the most common. There is also VMWare, which is pretty close to Xen. We did some testing a few years ago on VMWare and found it very bloated and hard to use. We are now using OpenVZ and can't be happier. We have never had any trouble with any of the VMs on any of our nodes. One great thing about OpenVZ is that you can set a burstable amount of ram. This means, if you go over your guaranteed allotment, instead of the VPS slowing down, you can continue to use the burstable memory. This is a great plus for people who sometimes get a large amount of visitors or usage on their VPS allowing them to go past their actual guaranteed ram allotment. With Xen & VMWare, this is not possible.

•••
Thanks Camron.
Any more replies?

•••
I'm for OpenVZ as all VPS accounts are powered by the state of the art OpenVZ virtualization platform. OpenVZ provides full isolation from other VPS instances on the same host machine ensuring that the resources allotted for your VPS account are always available. A2hosting.com provides it on their VPSs. Very usable.

Last edited:
•••
I would go for openvz.
But if you have enough funds, I would say Virtuzzo.

•••
I am going to recommend XEN.

OpenVZ provides full isolation from other VPS instances on the same host machine ensuring that the resources allotted for your VPS account are always available.

One great thing about OpenVZ is that you can set a burstable amount of ram. This means, if you go over your guaranteed allotment, instead of the VPS slowing down, you can continue to use the burstable memory.

I think these are misleading. OpenVz shares the resources of the server -- that is why it allows for "bustable" resources. If one vps is not using its full "512 MB RAM" for example another VPS may take it and use it.

Since VPS are using shared resources you will see a decline in VPS performace if another vps is a resource hog.

Most hosting companies use OpenVz because it allows for overselling.. Question is to be asked-- what happens if you allocate more then the server can handle?

Good luck finding your choice.

Thanks,
Adam

•••
impactgc said:
I am going to recommend XEN.

I think these are misleading. OpenVz shares the resources of the server -- that is why it allows for "bustable" resources. If one vps is not using its full "512 MB RAM" for example another VPS may take it and use it.

Since VPS are using shared resources you will see a decline in VPS performace if another vps is a resource hog.

Most hosting companies use OpenVz because it allows for overselling.. Question is to be asked-- what happens if you allocate more then the server can handle?

Good luck finding your choice.

Thanks,
Adam

I don't believe I was misleading at all. You are correct, if the company oversells its servers the vps will have lower performance. A lot of reputable VPS companies do not oversell. Yes, if you choose xen you are guaranteed that they are not overselling as it's almost impossible to over allocate, but if you choose a good host that's not overselling you will have no problem with performance using OpenVZ.

•••
Unless the OpenVz hosting company is not not overselling-- including calculating the busrtable RAM it has allocated-- then sure it may not hinder the vps'.

But now many are actually allocating based on what they give for burstable and not guaranteed?

I would bet they do it on what they are guaranteeing :)

It all depends who the hosting company is. But if you want guaranteed resources- go with XEN(This is just my opinion). Of course performance would also be hindered depending on what the specs of the vps are and what is being run on it.

Thanks,
Adam

I would go for openvz. But if you have enough funds, I would say Virtuzzo

Just re-read that.

Virtuozzo is just the interface for openvz.. OpenVz is still the technology being used.

Thanks,
Adam

•••
•••
impactgc said:
Just re-read that.

Virtuozzo is just the interface for openvz.. OpenVz is still the technology being used.

Thanks,
Adam

I think virtuzzo is the software that is being offered by the SwSoft.
I agree that openvz is the technology that is being used, but they modified it and created a software under their name in the name of Virtuzzo.

•••
Any major differences between virtuzzo and openvz?

•••
bbalegere said:
Any major differences between virtuzzo and openvz?

OpenVZ is the virtualization software. I would look into something like HyperVM which does the same as Virtuozzo but for a much better price.

•••
We use Xen on our Virtual Servers as there is a much higher degree of security, you don't have to worry about your applications crashing if you use a lot of resources, etc!

•••
iHubNet-Matt said:
I think virtuzzo is the software that is being offered by the SwSoft.
I agree that openvz is the technology that is being used, but they modified it and created a software under their name in the name of Virtuzzo.
So Virtuozzo is an advanced softwere of openVZ. Then it must be wise to use Virtuozzo as ServerPoint.com, Parallels.com and many other companies do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back