Dynadot

WP Subcontracted Job Question

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I always have a problem finding the correct forum for posting WordPress questions. So I hope this is correct.

I have subcontracted out the redevelopment of 1 domain to a freelancer. I have 3 Milestones. 1-Frontend, 2-
Backend, 3-Plugin. We are reaching the end of Milestone 1. I have repeatedly asked, "How do I edit the pages". I've never got an answer to this question, until just now. I am being pointed to Pages>PageName> for each page. The problem is all these pages are apparently blank with no content. Whereas the website is showing the reports without a problem. So it's obvious (to me) these pages are not using these standard pages to produce the results.

The only thing these Pages>PageName> seem to be good for is for the Page Title and any banner picture. None of the content on the live page appears on these pages. As far as I can see. They appear to be conjured up out of the thin air. Which isn't possible (of course). I am by no means an expert with WordPress.

So my question is. Where are these pages being defined? I'm asking here first, to educate myself, before I tackle the freelancer, not completely in the dark.

I don't know if it helps. These reported pages are basically reporting from a database, handling registrations, emails. that sort of thing.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Impossible to say without examining the site. Why not schedule a half hour with your developer to walk you through it? Do skype and have him/her share the screen.

•••
OK. But I need to be better informed b4 I speak to the developer. Under what circumstances will a WP install show a webpage, with nothing on the webpage shown in wordpress install?

•••
There may be some editor that's being used by the theme, dynamic content (but then you should see a shortcode or something). Tell them it's showing nothing for you - they're the best one to tell you why :)!

•••
Well. I don't see any shortcode, afaict. I've asked them between several and many times how to edit these pages. I've never had a reply. Up until now, we've had bigger things to worry about. It's because we are trying to close-down Milestone 1, that it's now become an issue.

I presume a shortcode would be the only thing in the details section of the page. Pointing to the source code. Is that correct? Is there any way to visit a list of shortcodes used? As I've said. I'm not an export with WP. Yet.

Last edited:
•••
On the dashboard look in your 'posts>all posts'
The info maybe entered as posts then categorised to specific pages.
In posts you can add new articles.

Last edited:
•••
Check this out..
There are hundreds of WP training videos in YouTube.. watch a couple and get familiarize with it.. Very easy to learn/operate a site..

•••
OK. To add more information from my earlier posts. I am talking about shortcodes here. I asked the developer to explain to me how I edit these pages many times. They never ever answered the question. I eventually asked finally that this information is essential for a successful completion of Milestone 1. They basically said I could not edit this information, stating something about I'd delete the information, if I tried to edit this. I responded, so that it's ok for you to edit these pages, but not me. This was unacceptable to me.

I clicked on the shortcode link. It goes to wp.me/somecode. To me this looks like the shortcode link isn't even on my website. Which would be totally unacceptable for me. And smacks of them keeping the code for themselves after this transaction is complete.

I will admit that I'm an amateur with WP. And its possible, they are looking after my own interests. But not allowing me to edit pages I am paying for is beyond the pail, IMHO.

•••
They could be in individual PHP files. Check the base drive / theme folder for PHP files similarly named as the page name as seen in its URL (ie, for page-1, see if there's a page-1.php).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back