Dynadot

.info Wow - $28,100 for Camping.info

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gazzip

First Time Poster !VIP Member
Impact
Looks like .info are great little earners - what's your thoughts on info's ? :)

Camping.info sold for $28,100 - the largest sale ever reported in that extension more than NewYork.info which sold for $28,086 in 2004.

posted at www.dnjournal.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sale price tailored to get to top of the chart?

Another clever move from the seller to get a bit of fame! :)

•••
So was it a DEVELOPED site? or not?

A developed, revenue generating site could fetch this price, but DNJournal et. al. continue to refuse to post whether the sales they report are DEVELOPED sites or simply domain names and this only misleads all of us into ASSUMING that this (as well as similar sales) represent DOMAIN NAME sales only--when in many cases they are not.

I sold a five-hyphen domain name a few years ago for almost 100K. Know why? It was a popular online dating portal generating 6-7K per month in PROFIT. Wonder if this was reported anywhere as a DOMAIN NAME sale.

These organizations are misleading us and falsly representing sales of developed sites as Domain Name sales. This could be easily recified with a simple legend next to the domain to indicate whether the sale represented a developed site sale ot not.

Am I the only one peeved about this?

•••
gericsb said:
So was it a DEVELOPED site? or not?

A developed, revenue generating site could fetch this price, but DNJournal et. al. continue to refuse to post whether the sales they report are DEVELOPED sites or simply domain names and this only misleads all of us into ASSUMING that this (as well as similar sales) represent DOMAIN NAME sales only--when in many cases they are not.

I sold a five-hyphen domain name a few years ago for almost 100K. Know why? It was a popular online dating portal generating 6-7K per month in PROFIT. Wonder if this was reported anywhere as a DOMAIN NAME sale.

These organizations are misleading us and falsly representing sales of developed sites as Domain Name sales. This could be easily recified with a simple legend next to the domain to indicate whether the sale represented a developed site sale ot not.

Am I the only one peeved about this?
You do seem quite *peeved* about something which does not exist here in this case. The buyer's current site is http://campsite.at/ and they are interested in expanding their business to other countries outside Austria. They paid purely for the domain...and are likely busy building their new site for the domain they've bought...just look here: http://camping.info

Cheers.. :)

•••
Binfus, congratulations on Camping.info. Excellent domain and worth every penny paid.

Thank you

Sin

•••
I didnt mean anything negative above, just that many times Website sales are misrepresented as Domain Name sales by the major reporting folks. I dont have time to "check out" when sales represent developed sites or not and would just like some indicator on Sedo/DNJournal to differentiate between the two.

Congrats on camping.info--I have several .info's in the same category/class of domain name that I couldn't sell for 85 bucks so this gives me hope!

•••
all that while www.camping.com is just loving the fact that they will soon get a ton more "accidental" visits - and the visitors wont have a clue. aber they wont spreche austereich or something along those lines...

They better put a big austian flag on their site to accommodate and cash in on the austrian/german speaking traffic.

assuming that camping.info will do offline adv and get wortd of mouth type ins.

•••
Binfus said:
Thanks and Good Luck with Renting.info. If I had this domain, I'd not sell ity for less than $5k but thats just me. Lots and lots of patience is needed to sell a name to a true end-user. As soon as you start seeking out buyers (instead of the other way around) you reduce the value/price of the domain by more than half...The buyer of Camping.info initially contacted me in summer of 2005 with an offer in the 4 figures; the deal was concluded many months later at many times more than this initial offer. If you truly have confidence in the value of your names, then the best thing to do is pay the reg fee for a few years, sit tight and treat them just like real-estate, newer/emerging extensions being like undeveloped or sparsely developed land many miles away from the town...it takes a few years before true buyers and developers start coming around and the investment pays off.

Thank you Binfus for your words of wisdom and encouragment :)
Yeah, I agree the most motivated buyers are the ones that come to you... patience is the key...

•••
gericsb said:
I didnt mean anything negative above, just that many times Website sales are misrepresented as Domain Name sales by the major reporting folks. I dont have time to "check out" when sales represent developed sites or not and would just like some indicator on Sedo/DNJournal to differentiate between the two.

All of the sales listed at DNJournal are for name only unless stated otherwise.
If they included businesses/websites their top sales would be much much higher like the recent $700M trademe sale in New Zealand http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/7A11F646875D146BCC25712800711931

•••
Congrats Binfus, Nicely done no.1

Now do not spend it all at once :)

•••
Fleege said:
all that while www.camping.com is just loving the fact that they will soon get a ton more "accidental" visits - and the visitors wont have a clue. aber they wont spreche austereich or something along those lines...

They better put a big austian flag on their site to accommodate and cash in on the austrian/german speaking traffic.

assuming that camping.info will do offline adv and get wortd of mouth type ins.

Most bleed between sites occurs within the extension.

For example greatjobs.info topjobs.info would bleed more to jobs.info rather than greatjobs.com and topjobs.com Especially if you brand the site on the name + the extension.

•••
Definitely an inspiring sale, I haven't taken any serious look at the .info extension, other than the free offer that happened a while ago when registrars were giving out .info registrations for free.

•••
That was a great sale, congrats again :) - I have heared .info's are popular for Germans - Is this true ?

Can any German NP's confirm this ?

•••
Binfus said:
Thanks Robert... its reassuring and nice to have something like this...:)

Grats on the sale. Good to see some people making money off of domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back