Dynadot

Would this fall under cybersquatting

NameSilo
Watch

B0NES

ExpertDN PresidentEstablished Member
Impact
I recently have acquired a domain name that is city specific. As an example(not the actual domain name) let's say its: NYBeer.com

And there is a company site that is NYCbeer.com and its their company name.

If i were to email them and try and sell them this domain name, is this cyber squatting or would this not be since it's such a general term for a specific city.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please check for Trademark.

•••
I have searched their company name using trademarks . justia com/ and nothing pops up. Their site just says at the bottom © 'company name'

•••
They might not like it, even if the TM issue is not a clear cut case. They may think you are a squatter holding a name for ransom, or they may not be interested. Maybe there is a reason why they didn't bother to buy the domain.
Anyway I don't see a lot of upside because it looks like a domain that has only one obvious end user. A good name should have at least a few possible buyers, and preferably no TM issues.
Also NY is not the same as NYC.

•••
I recently have acquired a domain name that is city specific. As an example(not the actual domain name) let's say its: NYBeer.com

And there is a company site that is NYCbeer.com and its their company name.

If i were to email them and try and sell them this domain name, is this cyber squatting or would this not be since it's such a general term for a specific city.

One of the conditions for trademark infringement or the ACPA is prior rights. Since there is no trademark rights then it wouldnt really be considered cybersquatting.

That must have been a fly by night company because I see both domains are available for sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back