Dynadot

Worth to register a famous site's .net version?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is it worth it to register a famous site's .net domain? Possible trademark issues?

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you don't have trademarks issue(I doubt), yes why not!
But if the webiste is not too famous i don't see any value

•••
If the site is too big, then they may sue you for using there copyrighted keyword.

If the site is not too big, then it has a little value. Anyways in this condition you may get some free hits.

•••
at least it is a heavy traffic site, otherwise i don't see much value on the .net version.

•••
if the site .com is down, some browsers jump to the .net version

......or maby its just me....so it may have traffic

•••
.net version usually worth about 75% of the .com version (from my experiences). Can be more if potentials are wider

•••
I would say ...if no trademark issues then you gotta jump on it :p

•••
keep in mind that if it is trademarked they can legally reverse hijack the domain from you..

•••
No matter the size or popularity of the site, if they are making money from it, and have some sort of identity, then they can sue you.

•••
Buy it. Nothing really to lose. Just park it somewhere.

•••
If you ask me, all .net version of .coms = 80% of the original. (That's how I sold some of mine. at least)

•••
In my experience.. net versions of the .com are typically worth 30% or so...

•••
you may get sue....due to copyrights issue...as u c..if thats a really big...they will had bought all extensions for ther site...a example is google and yahoo site..

•••
Static said:
Is it worth it to register a famous site's .net domain? Possible trademark issues?

Thank you

I'd reg it just for the traffic, but if you are going to resell, then avoid TM issues.

•••
why not? u can gain trafic with that domain...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back