Dynadot

Worth registering .co and .cm for brand protection?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I'm building a company, and I'd like to know if the .co and .cm extensions are worth registering to protect my brand?

I already have .co.uk, .com and .net registered, and am considering registering the .org and .biz too.

Any advice please?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it would bother you to see yourname.co org biz developed and owned by someone else then go ahead and buy it. Hopefully your making money with this company. If your not making money with this company you have to ask yourself how good is my idea and is it worth throwing more money at it. Goodluck

•••
The .co sure, I wOuldnt worry about the .cm

•••
Thanks.

There's no reason at all why I wouldn't make a good living with my freelance biz but then again, that's not the issue here.

•••
Its an issue when answering your question not know any details. Many times newbies buy many extention to there new "brand" then change there mind or it does work out, then find out nobody even wants their dot com(let alone the other ext). BUT if the "company" is making money all ready there nothing wrong with tacking on a dot co for example. If the regfee are pennies to you then go ahead

•••
Sorry BD I know you're a mod but, I have to stick up for myself on this one.

@johname, I really don't like your patronising tone.

You don't need to know any more details than I've given already in order to answer my question about .co and .cm extensions. I was after advice about whether the .co and .cm extensions are in general worth registering to protect a brand. You already know it's for a company I'm building, and that I already have the .com, .co.uk and .net registered. I have since decided to register the .biz and .org extensions, and I wasn't asking about these in this thread.

I am concerned with the .co and .cm extensions. So your assumption that because I am a domain newbie, I must be a newbie in other areas of expertise is wrong. Whether or not my company will make money is actually no-one's concern but my own.

Thank you.

•••

Sorry but thats not here! I stand by everything I typed above.

It's simple, add the other extensions according to your perceived(actual is preferable) success rate.

.org probably yes no matter what, and no to .cm probably no matter what. With biz and co in the middle

The answers in this section are for more than just you (other newbies are reading this and they need to see the situation in a wider view)

While you may be very skilled and successful. There are many more people that jump right in the domain pool and reg a bunch of extensions of a "brand" and then find out nobody wants their com brand let alone their other extensions. Best to answer a question with these people in mind too. Have a nice day.

•••
One can look at the situation in different ways. If you anticipate a very successful venture with lots of traffic, word of mouth then you might want to secure the .co & .cm for typo traffic.

But the reality is that in order to secure a brand you might have to go much farther than that. The major brands are registered in almost every extension - companies like Mark Monitor are doing just that, taking care of defensive regs and providing domain portfolio handling services to large corporate clients.

Now it's not that you should anticipate a lot of typo traffic to a .tel or a .tk for example, you just want to block these domains to thwart pure cybersquatting - somebody taking your brand name hostage in some oddball extension, or just looking to piss you off. It's a whole strategy that isn't focused on a few designated extensions.
The question is rather broad and there is no single good answer. It all depends on how big you intend to be :)
There are 250+ TLDs active nowadays so probably you'll have to prioritize.
For instance if you're in the UK having the .co.uk along the .com is highly desirable, while other extensions are less critical depending on your location and geographic focus. We have now way of knowing really.

•••
Sorry BD I know you're a mod but, I have to stick up for myself on this one.

You don't need to know any more details than I've given already in order to answer my question about .co and .cm extensions. I was after advice about whether the .co and .cm extensions are in general worth registering to protect a brand. You already know it's for a company I'm building, and that I already have the .com, .co.uk and .net registered. I have since decided to register the .biz and .org extensions, and I wasn't asking about these in this thread.

I am concerned with the .co and .cm extensions. So your assumption that because I am a domain newbie, I must be a newbie in other areas of expertise is wrong. Whether or not my company will make money is actually no-one's concern but my own.

Thank you.

Wow! That's the thanks a guy gets for giving out some free advice?

Next Thread!

•••
I think you don't need to .co or .cm extensions to protect your brand. The top tlds .com, .net, .org, is all you really need. .biz maybe, .co.uk if you want protection in UK, plus .us for protection in US, plus any other country level cctlds where you want protection. It partly depends how deep you pockets. If they're deep, then get Mark Monitor to organize what tlds you need to protect your brand. If they're shallow, then what I said above will suffice.

•••
Hi,

I'm building a company, and I'd like to know if the .co and .cm extensions are worth registering to protect my brand?

I already have .co.uk, .com and .net registered, and am considering registering the .org and .biz too.

Any advice please?

Question: Is it "YOUR BRAND"?

That's not a domain question.

Will you come back or did johname annoy you with his free advice?

•••
If it's a new business, I would just register dot com and won't worry about other extensions.

If it is established business (3+ years), I would think about .com, .net, .org and .co only.

•••
If you are making decent money from your business, then go for .co imo. I don't see any reason to register .cm domain.

•••
Personally I would not worry about those extensions much.

I can understand possibly going for .net / .org or popular Country domains in some cases, but not normally .co etc.

-just my opinion.

•••

I already have .co.uk, .com
Since the relaunch of .CO it's been a common typing mistake, especially with some companies pushing their .co which just serves to confuse the average internet user (most of whom dont even know what a domain name is), so rather than potentially lose the visitor for the minimal cost, take the .co

IME less traffic will ever come from typo's of .cm and for the cost of those I wouldn't bother unless you're offering a high-ticket-item

•••
I am new and i dont bother with anything but .com and .net (i usualy get a net if i can develop it or resell it as it was just dropped) i stay away from anything else, including hases and numbers and anything +/-8.

I have a small computer repair business, with a creative name. I registered the .com and .net only. As with the little exposure i have as my business is very local. sadly the 3 letter .com i really want is unavailable because id like to create bumper stickers to give out with an easy .com

if your market is large, and building customers like galore id say you already protected the brand, even if your biz is small like mine, if somone regs a .co .ra .ws or .it or what ever they are more than likely wasting their time and money. as no one really want lets say landscapingco.ws its not even worth the reg fee.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back