Dynadot

discuss Will they Ever be a 9-Figure Domain Sale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dande

Premium DomainsTop Member
Impact
We all have seen countless of 5-figures, 6-figures, 7-figures, and 8-figures domain sales happening in this industry on regular basis. In fact, Escrow.com recently disclosed that they do close two 8-figure domain deals every week, and at least one 7-figure everyday. But none have seen nor heard of a 9-figure sale.

Do you think they will ever be (at least one) 9 figure sale and what would that name be? Which domain investor/company do you think may likely be the first seller? Let's have your opinions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry, the correct title should be "Will there ever be a 9-Figure Domain Sale"

Please, replace 'they' with 'there' wherever applicable in this thread.

Thanks to @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI for pointing it out. :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
Only few corporations could go that far in my opinion, but I doubt they'd want to instead of picking a cheaper alternative unless it's a legal dispute.

•••
We all have seen countless of 5-figures, 6-figures, 7-figures, and 8-figures domain sales happening in this industry on regular basis. In fact, Escrow.com recently disclosed that they do close two 8-figure domain deals every week, and at least one 7-figure everyday. But none have seen nor heard of a 9-figure sale.

Do you think they will ever be (at least one) 9 figure sale and what would that name be? Which domain investor/company do you think may likely be the first seller? Let's have your opinions.
Yes.
That will be for a money domain...like Bitcoin/Crypto etc.

I assume some time in the future Roger Ver will sale Bitcoin.com

Last edited:
•••
Only few corporations could go that far in my opinion, but I doubt they'd want to instead of picking a cheaper alternative unless it's a legal dispute.
I don't think there will ever be alternatives when it comes to quality exact domain names. Maybe that fact will play a role in bringing it 9-figure sales sooner than we'd ever imagined?

Last edited:
•••
Yes.
That will be for a money domain...like Bitcoin/Crypto etc.

I assume some time in the future Roger Ver will sale Bitcoin.com
Yeah... but those names are gone already. I wish we know how much Crypto.com was sold.

•••
•••
In fact, Escrow.com recently disclosed that they do close two 8-figure domain deals every week, and at least one 7-figure everyday

When did Escrow.com disclose this information? Do you have the source?

•••
Perhaps the deal could take place in February, but I did not accept it. LOL:ROFL:

upload_2019-4-6_17-6-20.png

•••
•••
If one is talking domain only I think it is unlikely. Both NameBio and DNJournal only list 2 each domain sales at 8 figs (and low end). High value sales were more common in past than now.

Remember many Escrow.com transactions are for a business including a domain name. If we mean that, and not domain names, it has probably already happened.

Bob

•••
If one is talking domain only I think it is unlikely. Both NameBio and DNJournal only list 2 each domain sales at 8 figs (and low end). High value sales were more common in past than now.

Remember many Escrow.com transactions are for a business including a domain name. If we mean that, and not domain names, it has probably already happened.

Bob
Year 2030. A single Bitcoin worth 2 million dollars, it's officially has become world's reserve currency. Every business prefer bitcoin payment over any other currency.

Then?

•••
Escrow.com recently disclosed that they do close two 8-figure domain deals every week, and at least one 7-figure everyday.

Please supply link. But even without a link, I agree with @Bob Hawkes that these "domain sales" are probably actually website/business sales. Not the same thing.

•••
•••

Bob

Escrow.com explicitly suggests the info is for domain only transaction, not business sales. Domain + business sales is categorized as "Business sales" while domain only sales is categorized as "Domain sales".

•••
No
Please supply link. But even without a link, I agree with @Bob Hawkes that these "domain sales" are probably actually website/business sales. Not the same thing.
No. They are talking about domain only sales. Over 80% of domain sales are never reported. That's why I don't follow domain sales reports as the true market indications.

•••
When it does happen, I wouldn't be surprised if its a media giant purchasing a domain intended for stream/broadcast service. Just a lot of revenue flowing in the streaming industry right now and a lot of vying between billion dollar companies.

Last edited:
•••
Over 80% of domain sales are never reported. That's why I don't follow domain sales reports as the true market indications.

That is a sound policy. Not to mention, reported sales from marketplaces, do not take into account "sales" that were cancelled. That's what I read here on NP anyway.

Domain sales history sites are sort of like appraisals (although not quite). Use them as a gauge, but not as "gospel".

But still, would love to see that source of the Escrow.com statement.

•••
That is a sound policy. Not to mention, reported sales from marketplaces, do not take into account "sales" that were cancelled. That's what I read here on NP anyway.

Domain sales history sites are sort of like appraisals (although not quite). Use them as a gauge, but not as "gospel".

But still, would love to see that source of the Escrow.com statement.

See the DomainSharpa video their panels talked about it - https://www.domainsherpa.com/20190325/

•••
See the DomainSharpa video their panels talked about it - https://www.domainsherpa.com/20190325/
I have the Escrow.com report in my hands (I received it from the CEO during an interview at NamesCon) and it does not seem consistent, at least if one is talking domains only (see below). For example for the entire most recent quarter (2018Q4) the TOTAL value of Escrow.com handled domain transactions was just a bit over $75 million (the preceding quarter was slightly higher, but less than $90 million for the quarter). That does not seem to me consistent with doing two 8 figure domains per week. I think possibly the way that it got confused is the terminology Escrow use in their report for a developed site is "domain name with content". They do much higher amounts of developed sites transactions. It is tough to read the graph in the report really precisely but whereas the 2018Q4 result for domain only is about $75 million that for developed sites is just a little under $500 million total for the quarter.
Bob

•••
I have the Escrow.com report in my hands (I received it from the CEO during an interview at NamesCon) and it does not seem consistent, at least if one is talking domains only (see below). For example for the entire most recent quarter (2018Q4) the TOTAL value of Escrow.com handled domain transactions was just a bit over $75 million (the preceding quarter was slightly higher, but less than $90 million for the quarter). That does not seem to me consistent with doing two 8 figure domains per week. I think possibly the way that it got confused is the terminology Escrow use in their report for a developed site is "domain name with content". They do much higher amounts of developed sites transactions. It is tough to read the graph in the report really precisely but whereas the 2018Q4 result for domain only is about $75 million that for developed sites is just a little under $500 million total for the quarter.
Bob
Thanks for your knowledge, deep research, and open mindedness. I will try and go through their last Q-sales and compare

•••
I will hope it for nissan.com !
I wish Nissan offers 100 m USD along with 100 million sorry greeting cards to our brother Uzi.

•••
That will never happen. It's been a long time. If they wanted to buy Nissan.com, they would have done it already. They just want to pay courts and lawyers. To buy Nissan.com is losing face in their mind.

Last edited:
•••
Facebook paid US$1 BILLION for Instagram a company which had no revenues. A TechCrunch article I found on the announcement mentioned that despite no revenues, Instagram was going to be worth whatever Zuckerberg felt like paying for it. Sound familiar?

•••
I realize the Rosener Equation was proposed some years ago (2011 I think) but would be interesting to find a situation using that way to evaluate a domain worth that justified a 9 figure sum.
https://www.domainsherpa.com/rosener-equation-value-domain-names/

Or alternatively using some other metric of domain worth. That is what name would be worth 9 figures, and how would you justify the price to a corporate board.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back