Dynadot

discuss Will 3/4 digit war in .eth turn hot like in .com?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will the 3/4 digit .eth war be as hot as the .com war?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    33.3%
  • No

votes
    66.7%
  • No opinion

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Centauri

Established Member
Impact
Hey There,

so as you may know, 20+ years ago the 'war' for 3 and espec. 4 digit domains in .com started, had his climax somewhere inbetween, and is being fought until today
(with very few available domains for buy).

Now, it seems there is a same war heating up in the .eth eco system (since +/- 1 year).

I am not fully into web3 domaining, just bought 2 .eth domains for the heck of it,
and am thinking about acquiring some more 4 digit domains in .eth.

Here are two articles about it:
https://mpost.io/ens-3-and-4-digit-domain-names-are-in-high-demand/
https://cryptobriefing.com/the-latest-ethereum-nft-craze-four-digit-numbers/

Do you see any high demand in .eth domains, and is .eth "the future"?
What about alternatives, like unstoppable domains?

Best,
Centauri

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Crypto domains serve their purpose. Businesses dealing in crypto (with abbreviations) may take them on, they may grow in popularity, but I wouldn't cross examine them with COM. If we're talking about "the future", blockchain domains to gradually replace complex receiving addresses, I'd like that. IMO

•••
I own one .eth domain for brand protection, but seeing as you can use legacy extensions on the Ethereum blockchain they are not all that useful to me.

It is mainly just speculation at the moment.

It is also quite a financial commitment to hold these -

4 character .eth names: $160 in ETH per year.
3 character .eth names $640 in ETH per year.

As far as Unstoppable domains, pass. I am not interested in domain extensions that need special software or settings to work.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I don't think nothing beat .com over the years even .eth ,imo.
They have pros and cons but .com is the best I reckon.

•••
At $640/yr these are expenses not investments.

•••
I own one .eth domain for brand protection, but seeing as you can use legacy extensions on the Ethereum blockchain they are not all that useful to me.

It is mainly just speculation at the moment.

It is also quite a financial commitment to hold these -

4 character .eth names: $160 in ETH per year.
3 character .eth names $640 in ETH per year.

As far as Unstoppable domains, pass. I am not interested in domain extensions that need special software or settings to work.

Brad
Hey,

but isn't the merge, that will come in less than a month and move the chain from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake,
making gas fees disappear?!

So, it this is so, these prices do not reflect the prices, that we will see now coming (which will be far lower).

•••
Hey,

but isn't the merge, that will come in less than a month and move the chain from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake,
making gas fees disappear?!

So, it this is so, these prices do not reflect the prices, that we will see now coming (which will be far lower).

I am not sure those prices have anything to do with gas fees. They are just a premium fee added for that format. As far as I know that is not changing.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
Back