NameSilo

Why to reg a name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So I have regged a few names over the last little while for various reasons and I was wondering why you reg certain names? What I mean is do you reg them because they sound good, or you think they may have potential, or because they are keywords?

And one more specific question, if you see a name that has the .net and .org, and maybe another extension regged but the .com available do you jump on it?

Now, the reason I asked that is because I searched for a term on Yahoo domains and it was taken, which I expected, but I like to see the suggestions that Yahoo comes back with. It came back with one really good suggestion and it said that the .net and .org were registered but the .com was available. I thought great and went to reg it, but when I tried it says it is taken... Strange (does this happen on Yahoo a lot?)

Anyway, I guess this post turned into a 2 parter, and that is because I was in the middle of typing this when I tried to reg the name... lol

:o

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
linker said:
So I have regged a few names over the last little while for various reasons and I was wondering why you reg certain names? What I mean is do you reg them because they sound good, or you think they may have potential, or because they are keywords?

Basically I register domains for two reasons. First, as you said, for the potential to develop in it a nice project or to sale it for more than reg fee. Second, that based on the searches or due that is a generic name, I believe that it may get traffic and therefore PPC revenue.

linker said:
And one more specific question, if you see a name that has the .net and .org, and maybe another extension regged but the .com available do you jump on it?

Unless I don’t like the name I don’t do it. I have seen some names too with the .net and .org extensions taken and the .com free and I have left them unreg. I basically decide if I should register the .com as if the .net and .org where unreg. Sometimes someone takes the .com and later the .net and .org. When he realize that he won’t do anything on that name or that he won’t be able to sale it, he let them expire, but the .com expires first. The only reason I will take the .com is if the .net or .org or any other extension has some traffic, in this case you have at least a 20% of their traffic guarantied to your .com.

linker said:
Now, the reason I asked that is because I searched for a term on Yahoo domains and it was taken, which I expected, but I like to see the suggestions that Yahoo comes back with. It came back with one really good suggestion and it said that the .net and .org were registered but the .com was available. I thought great and went to reg it, but when I tried it says it is taken... Strange (does this happen on Yahoo a lot?)

Anyway, I guess this post turned into a 2 parter, and that is because I was in the middle of typing this when I tried to reg the name... lol

:o

I have never used yahoo to register domains. Anyway sometimes the domain search engines have a glitch and you see one registered name unregistrered. I have seen some of this glitch happen in a really good names and when I tried to register them with the heart jumping out of my chest I saw that it was taken.

•••
I have seen some of this glitch happen in a really good names and when I tried to register them with the heart jumping out of my chest I saw that it was taken.

hehe... this is exactly what happened to me today.. I was seeing $$$ and then got my bubble busted... :sick:

•••
That happened to me once (abc.com..... AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH). The frustration.

•••
should I?

OK, so I just found a .com that is available. The .org is registered and it has a google PR5... The .org is a charity type site... Should I register the .com? Is that "bad taste" or do I just think it might be "good business"...

•••
It’s “bad taste” although I would register (if you don’t do it somebody will). If you feel guilty donate a percentage of the revenue to them. :P

•••
Why registered domains sometimes show available

I face the problem of domain names that seem to be available - but they're not - every day. It's a pain, I know, but this happens for two main reasons:

1) The accuracy of the companies that provide domain suggestions is not always 100% (with over 30 million domain names under .COM alone, some registered names could be erroneously marked as available for database caching reasons, etc...)

2) Usually, zone files are updated every 12 - 24 hours. The suggestions you get on Yahoo depend on various databases, and obviously they’re not all recompiled whenever someone does a search. Therefore, unless the suggestion tool makes live queries to the whois (and this doesn't happen frequently since it would take a lot of time to return results), if somebody register a domain name, that name will keep showing available untill it's included in the most recent zone file (12 hours or more).

The solution we adopted at DomainsBot (we provide domain suggestions too) is to check the names for availability against the latest zone files, and then do a live check everytime an user adds a domain name to his cart.

Hope this helps!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back