Domain Empire

information Why the Emergence of Emoji-Based Domain Names is Inevitable

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The age-old saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” is more relevant than ever. Communication is changing, and in the modern world emojis are a massive part of the process. While they may seem like nothing more than silly little symbols, most of us will incorporate them into our writing without even realizing, using them to express emotions, emphasize points and even have full conversations – they've even spawned a Hollywood movie!
Just like every other domain on the market, the value of an emoji-based domain name is dependent on its popularity and age, as well as a few other metrics. And even though they're not in widespread use, many companies have been profiting from them. For example, Punycode.com, which has 13 of only 33 .com emoji domain names in existence, recently purchased emoji.for.sale and emojis.for.sale because keyword domain names (read my previous article) automatically turn into links on Twitter. A short time later Punycode.com sold ☯.com for over $11,000. As nobody can currently register emoji domain names, the few that are available can cost in excess of $800,000...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How many different smiley names/emojis are there?? Some confusion I would suggest. I tried to read a sentence with emojis once, got lost after the second I think. I would only ever want a single and even then it would have to be unique, examples like all the smileys put me off. Actually I think I have talked my self out them all together. (i am talking about .ws smileys) The .com's may be rare but that is a setback in my view. No-one will know to use them. I like words for urls.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back